2020 ACC Football Season Update

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Swofford is a con man and has been a horrible commissioner. Anyone could do what he has done and more. The fact that the ACC network is 2nd class shows he got played by real business men. Yet again, UNC gets the easiest schedule of all and Swofford allows ND to play the ACC as a little brother. Ridiculous.
Did UNC just run away from playing Auburn?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one bothered that they don't want to travel long distances and yet we still play the ORANGE. Are we gonna quarantine for 2 weeks after that game or can we just play Cake Forest?

If the game was played now, the team would have to quarantine for two weeks in New York before they could play the game.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Why don't we learn from UNC. They get away with murder with the NCAA and now the ACC is giving them the softest schedule in the country. What are they doing different?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who doesn’t think we can go 7-3 (7-4) here is crazy...

Call me crazy, but aside from Clemson, ND, and Miami, we can win every game with the exception of whatever outta conference game we play.
I think if we were playing Miami in Atlanta we would probably beat them this year but because we have to go back down to Miami for a second year in a row, and they will want revenge, I think that will be a tough game. We could still win it potentially it just depends which Miami team shows up.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think if we were playing Miami in Atlanta we would probably beat them this year but because we have to go back down to Miami for a second year in a row, and they will want revenge, I think that will be a tough game. We could still win it potentially it just depends which Miami team shows up.
So what will they do with that game next season? We gonna play at Miami 3 years in a row?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
So what will they do with that game next season? We gonna play at Miami 3 years in a row?
Not sure why we would? They could just make us play in Atlanta. It's like how we played at Clemson two years in a row a few years ago and then they came to Atlanta.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why we would? They could just make us play in Atlanta. It's like how we played at Clemson two years in a row a few years ago and then they came to Atlanta.

The Clemson game was done because of changes in the ACC schedule overall. GT actually wanted the Clemson and mutt games to be home-away on opposing years instead of having both of those as away games every other year. It caused extreme problems with ticket sales every other year.

Pitt is playing in Atlanta two years in a row. I don't know that this year's schedule is going to be looked at as anything other than an outlier when future schedules are put together.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I believe the 4 NC and 2 VA schools are basically all playing each other. My guess is the ACC tried to facilitate as many short trips as possible for precautionary reasons and that basically led them to group those 6 together. As a result we have games against 5 teams that are pretty far away and 2 of them (Pitt and ND) have to come to us while we go to three. On one hand it seems biased in favor of those 6 schools, on the other hand it seems stupid to not utilize short trips in the current situation.
Not sure, but if that was the case it is interesting they didn't include Clemson in that proximity based plan..

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There were reports that the ACC was not going to release any information about football plans until next week at the earliest. There were reports that the SEC was planning to announce a 10 game conference only schedule. I think it is possible that the ACC put this information out with the intent of pressuring the SEC to play the 4 rivalry games.. That gives the ACC three SEC team home games and gives the SEC one ACC team home game. The ACC will get more TV money for having SEC teams on their home field.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I believe the 4 NC and 2 VA schools are basically all playing each other. My guess is the ACC tried to facilitate as many short trips as possible for precautionary reasons and that basically led them to group those 6 together. As a result we have games against 5 teams that are pretty far away and 2 of them (Pitt and ND) have to come to us while we go to three. On one hand it seems biased in favor of those 6 schools, on the other hand it seems stupid to not utilize short trips in the current situation.

Proximity has zero to do with this schedule. If proximity is the concern, then they would have done something like the pod system that had been discussed. In this schedule: Duke is going to Syracuse, UNC is going to Miami and Boston, GT is going to Syracuse and Boston.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I wish they would have done at least a semi-pod system. I think a home and home with a conference opponent would be interesting, but it also makes flexibility much easier since we can easily anticipate cancel/make up games, and sacrificing those repeat opponent games when needed makes that a lot easier.

It's gonna be weird without or with only 1 non-con foe. Sadly, the ACC is entering the season coming off one of its worst years, and if you look at Bill Connelly's returning production models, you can see why that may have been and also why this year figures to be much much better. But without OOC games it will be hard to be looked at in positive light. Clemson may also fail to live up to their #1 billing. Although they have returning superstars Etienne and Lawrence, they've got a lot to replace beyond that. Obviously their talent level and history suggests they will be a top team, but a loss or 2 is possible.

Jmonty71

Banned
I see maybe 5 wins in that schedule ....... at this point I'd love to see them play with no fans.

Doubt we play it though. Let's see what happens with MLB. The good news there is only the Marlins have screwed up (but in a big way). https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ovid-19-coronavirus-mlb-postponed/5530872002/

The bad news is that the lesser controls on college students and contact with football is so much more that there is little reasonable expectation for football to be able to control the virus if it is still in the community. Unless of course we say screw it and kill Grandma.
I really have a hard time seeing 5 wins. However; this is going to be a really odd season. (if it happens). We could play Clemson, while missing 1/2 their team, due to the virus. It's hard to gauge what's a win vs. a loss, in my book.