2020 ACC Baseball

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Be very afraid of Duke pitching... particularly Jarvis (Fri guy). He has a perfect game already & was perfect thru 6.2 today. Perfect game broken up with 2 out in 7th by a strikeout/WP batter reached.

I know I had read and heard about Dukes pitching, but I saw Jarvis had 12Ks yesterday. Wow. I haven’t seen him pitch, but sounds like that’s def going to be a tough series, especially with us striking out so much.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke beat FSU again 4-3. Fair to say Duke's pitching was much less dominant. 8 hits, 6 BB, and 3 HBP. They easily could have given up more runs.

We're not the only ones struggling scoring runners, but hopefully we figure it out.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
ACC Baseball Scores From Saturday

NCSU won 6-2 over Virginia

Georgia Tech won 7-5 over Virginia Tech:):cool::D:smuggrin:

Miami 5-0 over Pitt

Duke 4-3 over FSU

Clemson 12-5 over Boston College

Notre Dame 11-8 over North Carolina

Wake Forest 3-2 over Louisville

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke is going to be trouble. Not only are their Friday and Saturday starters elite, but here's their reliever Girard against FSU the last two days:

"Girard is proving that his preseason All-America billing was warranted; what a valuable weapon he is at the back end of the Duke bullpen. On Friday, Girard took over for Jarvis at the start of the eighth inning and proceeded to strike out the side in order, then fanned two more in the ninth to earn a two-inning save. He threw 33 pitches in that outing, then bounced back Saturday and was even better in a five-out save.

“We didn’t know if he would be live today until after he went through his throwing, he threw 28 pitches today,” Duke coach Chris Pollard said. “After he went through his pregame throwing, he went to Coach [Dusty] Blake and said, ‘I feel better today than I did yesterday.’ I think that’s what’s gonna make him a good reliever in pro ball, because he is resilient. He bounces back really, really well, that’s why he’s been really good in that spot for us. Because he’s not BSing, his stuff is better a lot of times on the second day than it is on the first day.”"

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Duke is going to be trouble. Not only are their Friday and Saturday starters elite, but here's their reliever Girard against FSU the last two days:

"Girard is proving that his preseason All-America billing was warranted; what a valuable weapon he is at the back end of the Duke bullpen. On Friday, Girard took over for Jarvis at the start of the eighth inning and proceeded to strike out the side in order, then fanned two more in the ninth to earn a two-inning save. He threw 33 pitches in that outing, then bounced back Saturday and was even better in a five-out save.

“We didn’t know if he would be live today until after he went through his throwing, he threw 28 pitches today,” Duke coach Chris Pollard said. “After he went through his pregame throwing, he went to Coach [Dusty] Blake and said, ‘I feel better today than I did yesterday.’ I think that’s what’s gonna make him a good reliever in pro ball, because he is resilient. He bounces back really, really well, that’s why he’s been really good in that spot for us. Because he’s not BSing, his stuff is better a lot of times on the second day than it is on the first day.”"
Duke could win the ACC this season with their overpowering pitching.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke pitching is solid, but you gotta score to win. I haven't watched any of their games, but Cooper Stinson's last couple stat lines are not terrifying. Yesterday here nearly had 2 runners per inning. Also has 3 WP in the last two appearances.

We've seen the Jackets lose a game on one bad inning when a pitcher lost control, and nearly lose some others cause of it.

A good approach at the plate, combined with improving making contact with runners on, and I like our chances. No matter what, I can't see how we won't be in it late in all 3 games and so far we have done well in those situations.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Today's ACC Baseball Scores

Louisville won 16-4 over Wake Forest

Clemson 7-6 over Boston College

Miami 14-2 over Pitt

Virginia Tech 7-6 over Georgia Tech in 10 innings

FSU 10-2 over Duke

Notre Dame 14-8 over North Carolina

Virginia 10-3 over NCSU

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke could win the ACC this season with their overpowering pitching.

It's early. But yes after almost 4 weeks of play, they are up there.

But slumps happen and injuries happen, and I'm not rooting for anyone to get injured. Just happens.

They may not lose a series this year.

UNC has problems

Duh.

FSU is probably good. We are going to have to scrape out a win down there next week somehow.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Oops. Just saw that FSU plays Florida on Tuesday and Illinois State on Wednesday. That may help.

We pay 13-3 Auburn who hasn't lost a mid-week game. (Someone else can start that post:android:)

I'm not looking to downplay the level of competition, but as was mentioned in the Auburn thread, they haven't beat anyone yet. Something like a 15-58 (per @FredJacket) record for teams they've beaten.

FSU should have a much harder midweek schedule, and I'm hoping it bleeds into their weekend match up too.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Appreciate reading the comments, guys!
Really love the scoreboard, Mike. Keeps me from trying to look ‘em up, myself.
Thanks for posting the weekend winners, Warrior Fred(hey we got three “w’s” in a row).