2020 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Starting an ACC thread by repeating some stuff already posted elsewhere:

D1 baseball’s ACC preview
https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2020-acc-preview-cards-canes-headline-deep-league/

They say 10 ACC teams are making NCAA tournament field. Everybody except VT, PITT, BC, and ND.

Using their standings predictions shown in order… I’ve listed last season’s ACC conference win totals (4 year avg): the 2020 cross-division opponents for Coastal teams.

Coastal
Miami – 18 (18): LOU, at FSU, CLEM, at ND
Duke – 15 (15): FSU, at NCST, at WF, CLEM
Ga Tech – 19 (14): at FSU, NCST, at CLEM, BC
UNC – 17 (19): LOU, at NCST, at WF, ND
UVA – 14 (16): at LOU, NCST, WF, at BC
Va Tech – 9 (8): at LOU, WF, at BC, ND
Pitt – 8 (10): FSU, at CLEM, BC, at ND

Atlantic
Louisville – 21 (21)
FSU – 17 (16)
NC State – 18 (17)
Wake Forest – 14 (15)
Clemson – 15 (18)
Boston College – 12 (11)
Notre Dame – 13 (12)

My view of the conference for 2020 goes like this. Louisville is a HEAVY favorite to win its division and have the #1 seed at the ACC Tournament. After Louisville…. those other 9 teams who D1 thinks are going to a regional are probably all pretty close to same. So.. I’d say Louisville could finish conference play with 22-25 wins. Those other 9 will fall in the 14-19 win range. And those bottom four lucky to reach double digit wins. Those are gross generalizations; but puts the conference in 3 buckets:

Elite: LOU
Good: MIA, DUKE, GT, UNC, UVA, FSU, NCST, WF, CLEM
Not Good: VT, PITT, BC, ND

The fact the ACC only schedules 30 conference games…leaves “fun” in analyzing the schedules; specifically, the cross division games, to find little advantages/disadvantages.

Focusing on the Coastal… these 3 teams do not play Louisville: DUKE, GT, PITT
This year…. This could be huge as LOU could win every series they play. So… dismissing PITT; it would appear DUKE and GT probably gain an advantage over MIA, UNC, & UVA simply on that scheduling thing (avoiding LOU).

DUKE… they have to play 8 of the 10 teams D1 thinks make the regional. They don't play BC or ND this year.
The rest of the Coastal plays 7 of the 10.
Bottom line… I feel like GT has a small scheduling advantage in the Coastal. Going ahead and getting ahead of myself… the 1st ACC series in Atlanta against VT is important. Ga Tech will have played 2 big weekend series leading up to ACC play (OSU and UGA). Hopefully… those will prepare the team to take care of business against a weak ACC opponent (one of the few on the schedule...and only one at home) and get the conference schedule started off right because after that… no series will be as easy on paper the rest of the way. If things play out like I expect and are close… having MIA come to Atlanta for the final ACC regular season games in mid-May could be a winner take all (for Coastal) deal.

Ok... I'm ready for BASEBALL!! Go JACKETS!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Right on heels of announcement he would be suspended to start season.... this tweet has Zamora out for season with injury. Totally different from getting suspended for breaking rules (I don't feel sorry at all for that.) But I hate hate hate to see these kids suffer injuries & lose opportunity to play. [Based on timing after suspension, I tried to get this confirmed from a 2nd source. So far... this is only place I've seen this]

If true... that's 2 Coastal teams (UNC & MIA) with huge injuries already.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1 Baseball concerning opening day:
"
– Big Upsets in the Top 25
The GCU win over No. 22 Oklahoma State wasn’t the only “upset” in the rankings on opening day. A pair of jawdroppers saw St. Joseph’s defeat Ohio State (ranked by some outlets) by a 7-3 count. The Buckeyes managed just five hits vs. their fellow snowbirds in a game played down in Port Charlotte, Florida. But the biggest stunner had to be No. 12 Florida State losing to Niagara 3-1 in Mike Martin Jr’s first game as head coach. Egad.

Also, not sure it’s a huge “upset” but Cal State Fullerton took down No. 17 Stanford 7-1."

Niagara? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_University

Also "No. 15 Duke was also knocked off Friday, losing 2-1 to Patriot League favorite Army. Logan Smith silenced the Blue Devils for seven innings, allowing just one hit and no runs while striking out 10, and the Black Knights scored two runs (one earned) off preseason All-American Bryce Jarvis."

Hhmmmm, Duke pitching was supposed to be great (it probably is) but offense was the question........

THWG

Helluva Engineer
From D1 Baseball concerning opening day:
"
– Big Upsets in the Top 25
The GCU win over No. 22 Oklahoma State wasn’t the only “upset” in the rankings on opening day. A pair of jawdroppers saw St. Joseph’s defeat Ohio State (ranked by some outlets) by a 7-3 count. The Buckeyes managed just five hits vs. their fellow snowbirds in a game played down in Port Charlotte, Florida. But the biggest stunner had to be No. 12 Florida State losing to Niagara 3-1 in Mike Martin Jr’s first game as head coach. Egad.

Also, not sure it’s a huge “upset” but Cal State Fullerton took down No. 17 Stanford 7-1."

Niagara? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_University

Also "No. 15 Duke was also knocked off Friday, losing 2-1 to Patriot League favorite Army. Logan Smith silenced the Blue Devils for seven innings, allowing just one hit and no runs while striking out 10, and the Black Knights scored two runs (one earned) off preseason All-American Bryce Jarvis."

Hhmmmm, Duke pitching was supposed to be great (it probably is) but offense was the question........
Anything can happen in baseball. Just win 2 out of 3 every weekend.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here are this weekend's matchups involving ACC teams. Marquee series nationally is #2 Florida at #1 Miami. We should be pulling for Miami.. which is very hard for me. However, when Miami arrives in Atlanta in mid-May; and assuming we're jockeying for a favorable position in the Field of 64.... it will be much better if Miami wins this series against Florida way back here in February.

As of today, ACC teams are a combined 41-14

Coastal
Dallas Baptist @ #22 UNC
Bucknell @ UVA
Cornell @ #16 Duke
Ohio St @ #18 Ga Tech
E. Mich @ Pittsburgh
Va Tech @ Louisiana
#2 Florida @ #1 Miami

Atlantic
Valparaiso @ #3 Louisville
Tenn Tech* @ #15 NC State
Stony Brook @ Clemson
Cincinnati* @ #12 FSU
Notre Dame v Incarnate Word(x2), Toledo, UTSA
Boston College @ #12 Ariz St
#18 Wake Forest @ Long Beach State

*Common Opponent on 2020 GT schedule

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Here are this weekend's matchups involving ACC teams. Marquee series nationally is #2 Florida at #1 Miami. We should be pulling for Miami.. which is very hard for me. However, when Miami arrives in Atlanta in mid-May; and assuming we're jockeying for a favorable position in the Field of 64.... it will be much better if Miami wins this series against Florida way back here in February.

As of today, ACC teams are a combined 41-14

Coastal
Dallas Baptist @ #22 UNC
Bucknell @ UVA
Cornell @ #16 Duke
Ohio St @ #18 Ga Tech
E. Mich @ Pittsburgh
Va Tech @ Louisiana
#2 Florida @ #1 Miami

Atlantic
Valparaiso @ #3 Louisville
Tenn Tech* @ #15 NC State
Stony Brook @ Clemson
Cincinnati* @ #12 FSU
Notre Dame v Incarnate Word(x2), Toledo, UTSA
Boston College @ #12 Ariz St
#18 Wake Forest @ Long Beach State

*Common Opponent on 2020 GT schedule
Is that game on TV anywhere?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
6 ACC teams in the top 25, playing today? That’s almost half of the conference.
Has to bode well if we can keep that many in, or add to the number, when bids come out.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Is that game on TV anywhere?

Appears to be just streaming on ACCNExtra.

I bought year membership to ESPN+ for $50 and get all these games live and on demand!!! So awesome. ACCN, SEC, Longhorn Network. Freaking awesome. App works on my TV and phone! Woot woot! Did not have to join AACN with U-verse

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
I bought year membership to ESPN+ for $50 and get all these games live and on demand!!! So awesome. ACCN, SEC, Longhorn Network. Freaking awesome. App works on my TV and phone! Woot woot! Did not have to join AACN with U-verse
ESPN+ appears to show GT games on ACCN and elsewhere. ACCNX games get blocked in my area.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Guess I'm lucky. I was even able to watch the Boise/Texas game on Longhorn network via ESPN+.
Baseball gets no respect on the ESPN+ app or tv app. You have to scroll to more to get to baseball. I don't care about football, basketball and soccer. Save College Baseball as my #1! Come on

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Guess I'm lucky. I was even able to watch the Boise/Texas game on Longhorn network via ESPN+.
Baseball gets no respect on the ESPN+ app or tv app. You have to scroll to more to get to baseball. I don't care about football, basketball and soccer. Save College Baseball as my #1! Come on
I watched that Texas-Boise State game last night. Elder is a legit ace, he could easily be a 1st round pick.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
So I have att uverse and just got ESPN+ so I could watch the baseball games. The website is telling me I'm not an authorized user. Any idea why?

I'm asking in a help chat but they aren't responding.