2020-2021 NBA Season Talk

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Trae Bae Young or is it spelled Trey? He had about 4 of those, several just inside or on the line, plus 7 rebounds and 11 assists. Have the Hawks ever had a better draft selection work out? My mother dated Pistol Pete when she worked for Cystic Fibrosis at Lenox(met him doing charity work for them in 1971). Maravich was the 3rd selection in the 1st round, so I’m clearly biased having spent time with him personally.

Has Bogi fully recovered from his injury? Can you imagine having Hunter & Reddish right now?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Trae Bae Young or is it spelled Trey? He had about 4 of those, several just inside or on the line, plus 7 rebounds and 11 assists. Have the Hawks ever had a better draft selection work out? My mother dated Pistol Pete when she worked for Cystic Fibrosis at Lenox(met him doing charity work for them in 1971). Maravich was the 3rd selection in the 1st round, so I’m clearly biased having spent time with him personally.

Has Bogi fully recovered from his injury? Can you imagine having Hunter & Reddish right now?
I loooove pistol pete. I think he has to be the top hawks draft pick, at least since they've been in Atlanta. Shame he died so young (and just like he said too).

Bogi played ~27 minutes, but was looking pretty stiff and had problems with his jump. But Reddish warmed up last night!

Honestly, if we had Hunter I'd be making some pretty decent bets on the hawks for the championship.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I loooove pistol pete. I think he has to be the top hawks draft pick, at least since they've been in Atlanta. Shame he died so young (and just like he said too).

Bogi played ~27 minutes, but was looking pretty stiff and had problems with his jump. But Reddish warmed up last night!

Honestly, if we had Hunter I'd be making some pretty decent bets on the hawks for the championship.

I watched The Pistol as a kid in the theatre. Went back and watched it multiple times since it was at the $1 theatre. You can be sure I was dribbling the ball through my legs around the neighborhood after watching this. Still one of my favorite basketball movies:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tough loss in game 2 can MIL.

Looking like PHX is gonna advance barring another improbable LAC comeback.

Paul George is a mental... uh, short person.

slugboy

Staff member
Trae Young had to play out of his mind for the Hawks to win game 1, and it was an epic game. In game 2, everyone looked frazzled. Young occasionally has a down game. To beat Philly, Atlanta needed a game where somebody else put the team on their back once, and Huerter had one of those games.
And, ooof, the passing was not NBA quality in game 2.
With Bogi limping and Cam Reddish not quite ready to play, it’s harder find that other player who’s going to go off against the Bucks. I love Capela’s game, but I don’t see him going on a tear against Giannis AND Lopez combined.
Huerter has really grown as a player this year, and during the playoffs. It’s hard not to start him—his defense looks better than Gallo’s and he’s more of an offensive thorn in the side of the other team.
Collins wanted a max contract, or at least a big one. I like Collins as a player, but a max contract player shows out in this series. This is the moment for him to grab the brass ring—or not. He’s got to have his Scottie Pippen “if you’re gonna focus on Mike, I’ll carve you up” moments.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Do you guys think that Giannis Alphabet City, when guarding Trae was the difference in upsetting his game the rest of the way? Philly did it, with a disguise box and one, having Embiid come out on him at times, in upsetting the flow in a few of their wins. So how does Nate counteract having to watch Huerter or Williams running the isolated offense with Young covered up in the corner or 30 feet out front?

Yes, we need to hit more shots outside, and find away to get chippies without relying on Trae for every scooping runner in the lane.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you guys think that Giannis Alphabet City, when guarding Trae was the difference in upsetting his game the rest of the way? Philly did it, with a disguise box and one, having Embiid come out on him at times, in upsetting the flow in a few of their wins. So how does Nate counteract having to watch Huerter or Williams running the isolated offense with Young covered up in the corner or 30 feet out front?

Yes, we need to hit more shots outside, and find away to get chippies without relying on Trae for every scooping runner in the lane.
I think it was Lopez that was actually the difference between those two games. There were a couple of times where he was guarding ****ing Trae Young on the perimeter and getting turnovers. Had a few key blocks and 3s. Also only allowed Capela to get 2 points. The dude played out of his mind. Part of it was having Giannis + Lopez, but Lopez was a completely different player.

I think we need more facilitators to stop them from keying in on Trae to force turnovers. The Hawks just didn't have a way to score inside the paint without Trae dishing it in, and their threes weren't falling. I didn't mind the Lou + Trae lineup for this purpose, but Lou is just so hard to watch when his shot isn't on.

Trae will likely adjust some of his mistakes (being forced into the corners caused a couple of his turnovers) and he can usually adjust on his passing lanes to reduce turnovers (look at game 2 last series where he has a similar issue).

On the bright side, that was our 6th game in 12 days and we managed to rest our starters a bit. Reddish got decent minutes in his first game back, and Onyeka looked pretty good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tough loss. Didn't close out the 2nd or 4th quarters. Ball game.

And I don't like the 10-second count "rule" but, if it's a rule, they have to actually call it. I understand they don't want to "cave" to the crowd and I also get the crowd's count was fast. But the dude held the ball past 10 seconds multiple times. It's a stupid rule and it's a gimmicky thing, but it is what it is.

That's not the reason they lost, of course.

Only bright spots were Bogdan finally showing signs of life. He actually looked like he could move, which is improvement. Too bad his shot's not falling. His contributions are missed, greatly.

Huerter continues to be a bright spot, on both ends, which is a surprise.

I would've liked to have seen Reddish brought in to stick him on Middleton. He's not fully ready, of course, but his length and defensive prowess could've kept the dude from going completely nuclear.

Last but, certainly not least, I hope Trae's not hobbled. I'm sure opposing fans find it funny that the ref's the one that got him. Since, of course, opposing fans still think the only reason he's good is because the refs aid him. :rolleyes:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tough loss. Didn't close out the 2nd or 4th quarters. Ball game.

And I don't like the 10-second count "rule" but, if it's a rule, they have to actually call it. I understand they don't want to "cave" to the crowd and I also get the crowd's count was fast. But the dude held the ball past 10 seconds multiple times. It's a stupid rule and it's a gimmicky thing, but it is what it is.

That's not the reason they lost, of course.

Only bright spots were Bogdan finally showing signs of life. He actually looked like he could move, which is improvement. Too bad his shot's not falling. His contributions are missed, greatly.

Huerter continues to be a bright spot, on both ends, which is a surprise.

I would've liked to have seen Reddish brought in to stick him on Middleton. He's not fully ready, of course, but his length and defensive prowess could've kept the dude from going completely nuclear.

Last but, certainly not least, I hope Trae's not hobbled. I'm sure opposing fans find it funny that the ref's the one that got him. Since, of course, opposing fans still think the only reason he's good is because the refs aid him. :rolleyes:
This is good. My impression of the Bucks has skyrocketed during the playoffs. They're good.

slugboy

Staff member
Huerter has gone from a role player to a solid starter. It’s impressive growth.

If Trae doesn’t get hurt, I think the Hawks win the game.

Collins only played 23 minutes because of foul trouble.

Box Plus Minus is an easy but troubled stat. Still, here are the game 3 BPMs
PlayerBPMPts
Collins-613
Capela+118
Young-1335
Bogdanavic-28
Huerter+911
Gallinari -1818
Okongwu-104
Solomon Hill-140
Lou Williams -140

With almost everyone else hurt, I keep looking for players like Gallo and Collins to step up. It’s not happening :(