2019 Pitching

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This year may provide enough depth on pitching staff to do some unexpected (out of box) stuff regarding roles. Is it possible we may be "fat" enough with starters (Curry, Thomas, English, Hurter, Bartnicki, others?) that we can pull one to be a dominant closer?

Pretty sure I had a flip phone last time we had a overpowering closer (Gorst).

Santa (of the baseball Santas).... I'm asking for a power closer for Christmas. ...yes, one that'll shoot their eyes out!!!

From link on Curry:
He gives you an over-the-top angle with quick arm action that gets on the hitter quick. At 5-foot-10 and 185 pounds, he profiles more as a relief pitcher at the next level. And I honestly think he has the two-pitch mix to be a really good reliever. Hopefully the junior can improve on his ERA and strikeout totals even more this year.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com...-100-countdown-96-xzavion-curry-georgia-tech/

Making him more of a closer would also allow him to play the field more wouldn't it? He is supposed to have a good bat and glove also or am I thinking wrong?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Making him more of a closer would also allow him to play the field more wouldn't it? He is supposed to have a good bat and glove also or am I thinking wrong?

There are not stats to show you are right (you may be). But X didn't hit at all at Cape Cod this summer and has hit very little otherwise. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=208056

I seem to remember the same thing, but it may be thinking all our pitchers can field and hit like those guys called English or Gold.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Great athletes don't always make great hitters. I remember watching Roddy Jones bat.....he couldn't hit a curve ball to save his life. It was actually funny if you didn't take it seriously. But then I will always love Roddy for what he did on the football field.....baseball, not so much. (I think he was a good hitter in HS too, though)