2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Atlanta Regional

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I hadn't thought about Ramsey getting hired to replace Martin at FSU. That would upset me greatly, as I do attribute our turn-around to him by implication (he came and we got better, ergo...)

I have no idea if that is a correct assumption or not, but it sure feels right. And if we lose him after one season....well, darn is all I can say (on this message board, anyway).

I'd hire him in a heartbeat to replace hall when the time came...

There was such a large amount of positive information, for lack of a better phrase, about Ramsey during this season that it had me wondering if maybe he is part of the succession plan, and that was TStan's way of getting buy in from the fans when it does happen (as perhaps he doesn't have the head coach resume yet?). Granted, I haven't been following baseball closely the past few years, but I don't remember any other assistant coach getting so many mentions in the press. Based on what I've read about him, it seems like he's done a great job so far.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
There was such a large amount of positive information, for lack of a better phrase, about Ramsey during this season that it had me wondering if maybe he is part of the succession plan, and that was TStan's way of getting buy in from the fans when it does happen (as perhaps he doesn't have the head coach resume yet?). Granted, I haven't been following baseball closely the past few years, but I don't remember any other assistant coach getting so many mentions in the press. Based on what I've read about him, it seems like he's done a great job so far.

Much of “the talk” on Ramsey is general fan speculation.

The team’s success this year has naturally led to GT fans wondering what was the difference that led to the team’s success this year? Looking for anything that easily stands out as the perception that “this must be the difference.”

What do I think? Well, I think it’s a combination of many ingredients, including overall level of talent and experience among the players, quality of coaching and management of the team, health of the players, quality level of scouting and pre-game planning, the implementation of analytics, luck, and etc etc —all the myriad factors that are inherent in the success or lack thereof of a baseball team.

“In baseball, you don’t know nothing.” — Yogi Berra

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hadn't thought about Ramsey getting hired to replace Martin at FSU. That would upset me greatly, as I do attribute our turn-around to him by implication (he came and we got better, ergo...)

I have no idea if that is a correct assumption or not, but it sure feels right. And if we lose him after one season....well, darn is all I can say (on this message board, anyway).

I'd hire him in a heartbeat to replace hall when the time came...
I'm pretty sure his son will get it.
The other piece is his ties to Atlanta & Ga Tech. He grew up in Atlanta area & his wife is a Tech grad.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

The team’s success this year has naturally led to GT fans wondering what was the difference that led to the team’s success this year? Looking for anything that easily stands out as the perception that “this must be the difference.”

What do I think? Well, I think it’s a combination of many ingredients, including overall level of talent and experience among the players, quality of coaching and management of the team, health of the players, quality level of scouting and pre-game planning, the implementation of analytics, luck, and etc etc —all the myriad factors that are inherent in the success or lack thereof of a baseball team.

It is speculation. I agree...as well... the success this year can be credited across several big categories.

He was hired as the "assistant/hitting coach".... the approach at the plate this season was substantially different from previous seasons. Much more patient. I'm willing to give him the credit in that area. ....and the way the team (seemed to be EVERYONE) bought in & the results was remarkable. Our ability to consistently run up pitch counts & get to bullpens with 4-5 innings remaining in games was a thing of beauty. We scored a lot of runs this year.

And 2 individual players with the biggest turnarounds were N.Wilhite & Radcliff (post-season for him was curious... though). There has often been criticism (fairly asserted) that Tech can't/doesn't "develop" players... that cannot be said this year for those 2 dudes.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Not to be overlooked, too, is that the overall team was young last year, and many of the players that returned from last year’s team had gained valuable experience to become better prepared for this year’s campaign.

ieattorney

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's assume all of you are correct. We're unlucky in the postseason. We get tough draws. We have untimely injuries. Opposing pitchers have their best stuff against us. How long do you let this go on? When is it acceptable to call for a coaching change?

Is no super regionals in 13 years enough? None in 15 years? 20 years? 0 for 9 of our past regionals? 0 for 10? 0 for 100?

Has Danny earned the right to retire whenever he wants, even if he hangs on until 90, never making a regional again?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

My speculation that Ramsey is head coach material is based on
1) What he has said pre and post games and the way he said it
2) Hall giving generous praise to Ramsey even when not needed, i.e. not coach speak.
3) What players have said in interviews.

I think changing head coaches to someone more entertaining would be helpful to engaging fans. That's the CPJ to Collins experiment we are running now.

"In life, you don't know nothing" - my wife about me. .

Deleted member 2897

Hall did a great job with this team Made a lousy bullpen serviceable Kept winning series without two of our best pitchers No way he should be replaced after this year

He was the coach of the year. He’s not going anywhere.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
My speculation that Ramsey is head coach material is based on
1) What he has said pre and post games and the way he said it
2) Hall giving generous praise to Ramsey even when not needed, i.e. not coach speak.
3) What players have said in interviews.

I think changing head coaches to someone more entertaining would be helpful to engaging fans. That's the CPJ to Collins experiment we are running now.

"In life, you don't know nothing" - my wife about me. .

Well, to me, changing coaches—especially when replacing quality ones—does not always result in better results.

And I certainly don’t know nothing, either. LOL

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

One of the differences that may have made an impact this year is much better team chemistry. If you follow GT baseball twitter, Ramsey posted at least once, and I'm paraphrasing since I'm too lazy to look it up: Eat Steak, Win Series, Repeat. That was part of GT baseball's refueling plan this year that Ramsey seemed to be in charge of. Get our kids to eat what they need to succeed at a high level, and generate team chemistry by having team dinners where the players spend more time with each other. It seemed like everyone was there to pick each other up this year, as evidenced by the teams support of CT after the Auburn game. If they continue the refueling program next year, I'd encourage those who want to see GT shed the "can't win a regional" mantra contribute.