2019 Draft - The Future is NOW

Rammy

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry, I have not read all the comments within this thread, but do we expect all the recruits to enroll?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I have not read all the comments within this thread, but do we expect all the recruits to enroll?
I think we have 19 recruits coming in and only 10 roster spots. I'm sure we will have some guys who were on the team this year quit, but some of the recruits will be cut in Fall ball or find another home before then.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Do we know if all the 2019 recruits are scholarship players and how many are preferred walk ons? That will definitely affect how many actually make it through fall. I am also hearing that we may lose some of the 2018 Freshman class due to playing time, difference of opinions etc. so that could drop the numbers a little. Additionally, there are always 2-3 kids that show up for Fall Ball and get a shot, I believe there was one on the roster this past year, not sure who though.

The question I want answered is how is Carter Hall holding down a roster spot and not playing. I know he is fast but where did we use him? Potentially taking a spot from another productive player. Can he possibly be on the team next year? Just doesn't make sense. I know he didn't travel but still a roster spot is a roster spot. Will he be an official Senior next year? Scratching my head...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do we know if all the 2019 recruits are scholarship players and how many are preferred walk ons? That will definitely affect how many actually make it through fall. I am also hearing that we may lose some of the 2018 Freshman class due to playing time, difference of opinions etc. so that could drop the numbers a little. Additionally, there are always 2-3 kids that show up for Fall Ball and get a shot, I believe there was one on the roster this past year, not sure who though.

The question I want answered is how is Carter Hall holding down a roster spot and not playing. I know he is fast but where did we use him? Potentially taking a spot from another productive player. Can he possibly be on the team next year? Just doesn't make sense. I know he didn't travel but still a roster spot is a roster spot. Will he be an official Senior next year? Scratching my head...

Good questions. I think we'll get to the 45 (?) roster number by current non-playing players leaving and some of the recruits not making it.

Carter Hall is probably not going to be on the roster, not even playing summer ball. If he is ...... I'll comment then.

Looking at this list of signed and verbal commits, I'd think the signed commits take precedence. But verbal commits like Stephen Reid and Caleb Reis will make it. Where is @CuseJacket to explain "processing"? https://beesball.com/recruiting.html

The reason I titled the post with "The future is NOW" is because I believe we had Omaha level talent this year and may not next year. Specifically in pitching unless our Fr pitchers are Vandy quality. Maybe they will be, maybe they won't. We'll find out next year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Good questions. I think we'll get to the 45 (?) roster number by current non-playing players leaving and some of the recruits not making it.

Carter Hall is probably not going to be on the roster, not even playing summer ball. If he is ...... I'll comment then.

Looking at this list of signed and verbal commits, I'd think the signed commits take precedence. But verbal commits like Stephen Reid and Caleb Reis will make it. Where is @CuseJacket to explain "processing"? https://beesball.com/recruiting.html

The reason I titled the post with "The future is NOW" is because I believe we had Omaha level talent this year and may not next year. Specifically in pitching unless our Fr pitchers are Vandy quality. Maybe they will be, maybe they won't. We'll find out next year.
I believe the roster is 35.

I really like some of the freshmen pitchers. There are 3 that I think could challenge for rotation spots.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Curry signed for $125k, which is around ~$70k less than slot value for his pick. I assume injuries and lower project-ability to be the culprits there. Murray signed his deal with the Pirates, but no money figures are available, and the same goes for Willingham and the Nationals. I expect these to become available once the draft signing deadline passes and teams come to terms with their high round picks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the summary. As of Wednesday morning, only Maxwell and Waddell are in a drafted but unsigned status. https://beesball.com/draft2019.html

I doubt either will sign unless there is a big bonus which is out of line with their draft position. Waddell has two more draft opportunities, so he can be like English was last year and really increase his value. (Except English wasn't drafted but there was talk of him getting picked up after the draft with a bonus.) Note English has signed doesn't have a signing bonus disclosed yet.

Maxwell was drafted lower than most Fr committed to a top tier program elect to sign.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the summary. As of Wednesday morning, only Maxwell and Waddell are in a drafted but unsigned status. https://beesball.com/draft2019.html

I doubt either will sign unless there is a big bonus which is out of line with their draft position. Waddell has two more draft opportunities, so he can be like English was last year and really increase his value. (Except English wasn't drafted but there was talk of him getting picked up after the draft with a bonus.) Note English has signed doesn't have a signing bonus disclosed yet.

Maxwell was drafted lower than most Fr committed to a top tier program elect to sign.

I had to research this because I was concerned the Yankees might just throw lots of money at Maxwell even though he was a late pick. After the first 10 rounds, nobody can get higher than a $125,000 signing bonus without penalty. If they go over 125,000, that takes away from their pool money that is allotted to that team, and the Yankees only had about the 20th most pool money anyway.

So that's to say, it seems unlikely they would make any significant offer higher than 125,000 to him and that seems like a pretty low number for him to sign for, given that he was thought to be possibly a top 5 round talent.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I had to research this because I was concerned the Yankees might just throw lots of money at Maxwell even though he was a late pick. After the first 10 rounds, nobody can get higher than a $125,000 signing bonus without penalty. If they go over 125,000, that takes away from their pool money that is allotted to that team, and the Yankees only had about the 20th most pool money anyway.

So that's to say, it seems unlikely they would make any significant offer higher than 125,000 to him and that seems like a pretty low number for him to sign for, given that he was thought to be possibly a top 5 round talent.

I'm a huge Yankees fan and a total nerd for the financials of the MLB draft so here's my $.02.

The Yankees and other teams will draft guys like Maxwell late as a "keep this kid in your back pocket" flyer. If they can create significant pool savings and sign their top 10 round draft picks they'll go to guys like that, put the savings in front of them and say it's yours if you want it. There's a loot of backroom stuff that goes on with this so teams aren't usually drafting these guys without knowing what it will take. Even if they know it's unlikely chance they'll be able to meet that demand. A 30th round pick isn't worth all that much so it's not the worst idea to take a flyer on talented kid and see if you can change his mind with some money. Tristin English and Baron Radcliff were these kind of draft picks coming out high school. If there's was a clear willingness to sign at a bonus teams would be willing to play they'd have gone much earlier.

Now the Yankees tend to spend to the limit of their bonus pool (110% before penalties are applied). But they had to go over slot to sign their first round pick away from Vanderbilt which eats a solid chunk of their pool and they have create savings elsewhere just to bring him into the fold. It's hard to know exactly how much money they could put in front of a kid like Maxwell until we know what the rest of their picks from the top 10 rounds will sign for (if they haven't already I don't have that info handy right now) but I think it's unlikely they sign Maxwell. Anthony Volpe takes out a lot of wiggle room for them right off the bat. With the pool system they can't drop $800,000 on Austin Jacksons and $1,000,000 on Dellin Betances's whenever they want to anymore.