2019 ACC Baseball

THWG

Helluva Engineer

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I think that we'll end up 2nd in the Coastal and probably 5th overall in the ACC. I think Duke will finish 3rd and UVA will be 4th.
I definitely think 5th in Coastal would be disappointing. As I've said in another thread, Tech's ACC schedule is favorable. Miami & UVA have tougher ones. Duke's is a little easier. Your 2nd in Coastal would be awesome. I think 4th should be the floor for this team.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Coaches pick Louisville to be this year's ACC Champ. UNC to top Coastal. ...& Ouch. Tech 5th in the Coastal. What do the coaches know, anyway? #bulletinboardmaterial

http://www.theacc.com/news/2019/2/8/louisville-named-acc-baseball-preseason-favorite.aspx
Well, tbh, based on our performances in recent seasons.......this kinda makes sense.

Besides, we haven't had the injury bug strike our pitching staff yet the way it does each and every year like clockwork.......YET

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coaches pick Louisville to be this year's ACC Champ. UNC to top Coastal. ...& Ouch. Tech 5th in the Coastal. What do the coaches know, anyway? #bulletinboardmaterial

http://www.theacc.com/news/2019/2/8/louisville-named-acc-baseball-preseason-favorite.aspx

I think 5th is the worst we'll do. As D1 Baseball said, till we show we know how to win ........... UNC is clearly the favorite.

I don't blame the coaches for voting this way. UVa has a program that has outperformed ours consistently over the last decade. Duke is totally stacked with elite starting pitching. Miami is the only one that has me a bit puzzled.

I'm hoping the football players show up to some of the games and pick up our players some. We need something / someone to show some emotion.

Edit: I just looked closer and the range for 2nd to 5th in total number of votes is really close. 59 to 64 points. Basically a toss-up. UNC with 97. And Pitt and VT at 23/24 points.

Last edited:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, tbh, based on our performances in recent seasons.......this kinda makes sense.

Besides, we haven't had the injury bug strike our pitching staff yet the way it does each and every year like clockwork.......YET
Heard from a parent of a current player—Archer is out for the season with an injury. That is all the details I have and haven’t been able to see this anywhere online.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Heard from a parent of a current player—Archer is out for the season with an injury. That is all the details I have and haven’t been able to see this anywhere online.

Andy had elbow surgery but not Tommy John and will be back in the fall.
Aaron Fitt‏Verified account @aaronfitt Feb 6

Georgia Tech announced that RHP Andy Archer, its top bullpen arm last year, will miss the season after having elbow surgery. A setback for the Jackets, but they’re so much deeper on the mound than they have been — that bullpen should be just fine.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Andy had elbow surgery but not Tommy John and will be back in the fall.
Aaron Fitt‏Verified account @aaronfitt Feb 6
Georgia Tech announced that RHP Andy Archer, its top bullpen arm last year, will miss the season after having elbow surgery. A setback for the Jackets, but they’re so much deeper on the mound than they have been — that bullpen should be just fine.

Andy Archer‏ @archdaddy45 Feb 6

Replying to @aaronfitt

You’re right, they will be just fine without me
1f4aa-1f3fb.png
1f4aa-1f3fb.png
Don’t forget that radar gun this fall
1f609.png

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
BIG NEWS:

"Suddenly a couple of issues with the pitching staff have created some unexpected problems for the Georgia Tech baseball team.

Reliever Andy Archer had surgery on his right arm last week and will miss the rest of the season. Tristin English, being counted on to carry a lot of the load, had an issue develop from Tuesday’s bullpen session and will start the season on a restricted pitch count.

It was anticipated that Archer, a rangy right-hander, would be the team’s closer. He was Tech's most effective late-inning arm last season when he made 26 relief appearances and went 4-0 with a 3.64 ERA and three saves. Archer struck out 41 and walked 17 in 47 innings.

“I hate it for him because he will miss the year,” coach Danny Hall said. “I hate it for us because he’s very valuable.”

The injury occurred when Archer was playing long-toss with teammate Keyton Gibson and felt it happen. He had an MRI, saw a couple of doctors and had ulnar collateral (UCL) surgery with a internal brace. Archer was at practice on Wednesday, observing batting practice while wearing a contraption to keep the elbow immobilized.

The procedure is an alternative to Tommy John and has a shorter recovery time. The operation has been pioneered by Dr. Jeffrey Dugas of the famed Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Center in Birmingham, Ala. With the new procedure, the UCL is repaired with a piece of super strong tape that is coated in collagen, which helps the ligament heal. It is less invasive and less painful than Tommy John surgery and can be used when the injury is less severe."

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
"The timing is probably better, if there is such a thing,” Hall said “Now we can adjust and solve the problem.”

English will start the season in the bullpen because of a limited pitch count. Hall hopes to gradually be able to increase English’s workload, but in the meantime wants his bat in the lineup.

“The biggest thing is we want him hitting every day, then we’ll figure out where he slots in … is he a reliever, does he start there?” Hall said. “A lot depends on our other guys.”

It likely means big Brant Hurter or newcomers Amos Willingham and freshman Luke Bartnicki will move up a spot in the rotation.

It also means an open audition for closer, although Jonathan Hughes finally appears to be fully recovered from the Tommy John surgery that shut down his freshman season. Hall said Wednesday that he sees Hughes as a short-inning guy and that he was throwing 94 mph on Tuesday.

“He’s back from where he had surgery when he was a freshman,” Hall said. “It’s taken him that long to get to where he’s 100 percent. He had a good summer and we thought toward the end of last year he was making some strides.”

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA is not messing around getting their baseball season started.... opening weekend in Arizona & going up against:
Vandy (consensus top 5)
TCU (consensus top 20)
Cal St - Fullerton (consensus top 25)

UVA far and away the most difficult weekend of the ACC teams.

Next toughest is probably Clemson v South Alabama x3 ...then Ga Tech's weekend.

After that... 11 ACC teams playing a bunch of pushovers. I like that we're playing a relatively tough schedule. Need to win, though.. for sure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT went 3-0 over Stetson, Manhattan (???), and Sam Houston State. The ACC thanks them. Sam Houston and Stetson were supposed to be pretty good. VT struck out 30 over the weekend. If VT is the worst team in the ACC, well ......... this will help our RPI when we play them.

UVa went 0-3 versus Vandy, TCU and Cal State. The ACC curses them. All very good teams but UVa gave up 15, 9 and 6.

L'Ville went 1-2. Gave up 3, 2 & 8 runs to UConn. Didn't expect that. Dropped to #8 in D1 Baseball tanking.

UNC swept and moved to #6 thanks to L'Ville tanking.

ND got what it deserved and went 0-3 while giving up 46 runs to AZ State.

Not ACC, but UCLA went 3-0 over St Johns. Only gave up 3 runs in three games. And scored 23. Moved up to #4 in D1 Baseball. We are going to find out how good we can be this coming weekend. I'm going to steal @tkh74 line, "Hope for more, expect less."

No mention of GT in the weekend wrap-up .... next week there will be talk regardless. The hype for us through mid-season will be made or destroyed this coming weekend. We can set ourselves up for greatness or dig a big hole. "Hope for more, expect less."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
VT went 3-0 over Stetson, Manhattan (???), and Sam Houston State. The ACC thanks them. Sam Houston and Stetson were supposed to be pretty good. VT struck out 30 over the weekend. If VT is the worst team in the ACC, well ......... this will help our RPI when we play them.

UVa went 0-3 versus Vandy, TCU and Cal State. The ACC curses them. All very good teams but UVa gave up 15, 9 and 6.

L'Ville went 1-2. Gave up 3, 2 & 8 runs to UConn. Didn't expect that. Dropped to #8 in D1 Baseball tanking.

UNC swept and moved to #6 thanks to L'Ville tanking.

ND got what it deserved and went 0-3 while giving up 46 runs to AZ State.

Not ACC, but UCLA went 3-0 over St Johns. Only gave up 3 runs in three games. And scored 23. Moved up to #4 in D1 Baseball. We are going to find out how good we can be this coming weekend. I'm going to steal @tkh74 line, "Hope for more, expect less."

No mention of GT in the weekend wrap-up .... next week there will be talk regardless. The hype for us through mid-season will be made or destroyed this coming weekend. We can set ourselves up for greatness or dig a big hole. "Hope for more, expect less."