2018 - where have all the upsets gone??

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Aside from following my beloved Jackets, the other thing that I've always enjoyed about college football is the "on any given Saturday" likelihood of an upset. I'm racking my brain and all I can come up with is Purdue over Ohio State.

You all know where I'm going with this.... we are coming up on the final week of regular season play. It's time for some of the top 10 teams to fall.

Why not Georgie?

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Aside from following my beloved Jackets, the other thing that I've always enjoyed about college football is the "on any given Saturday" likelihood of an upset. I'm racking my brain and all I can come up with is Purdue over Ohio State.

You all know where I'm going with this.... we are coming up on the final week of regular season play. It's time for some of the top 10 teams to fall.

Why not Georgie?
Why not indeed my friend

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow

Why not Georgie?

Old Dominion over VT was a pretty big upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Old Dominion over VT was a pretty big upset.

Yes it was. And if VT was ranked at the time it illustrates the problems with early season rankings. I'm focusing more on top 10 teams getting knocked off later in the schedule. It seems that has been missing for the most part this year. We have 3 undefeateds at the top, and the 4th has 1 loss against one of those. I'm ready for a little chaos to be thrown into the playoff scenarios.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Remember App State nearly knocked off Penn State in week one. It was 11 years to the day that App State knocked off Michigan.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Early season rankings were mentioned and I thought I'd compare the AP Preseason Top 25 to the current F/+ rankings (in parentheses) and see how accurate they were.

1. Alabama (1)
2. Clemson (2)
3. Georgia (3)
4. Wisconsin (34)
5. Ohio State (8)
6. Washington (9)
7. Oklahoma (5)
8. Miami (28)
9. Auburn (23)
10. Penn State (12)
11. Michigan State (19)
12. Notre Dame (6)
13. Stanford (27)
14. Michigan (4)
15. USC (47)
16. TCU (68)
17. West Virginia (11)
18. Mississippi State (17)
19. Florida State (88)
20. Virginia Tech (80)
21. UCF (7)
22. Boise State (26)
23. Texas (29)
24. Oregon (58)
25. LSU (13)

They nailed the top 3 and 6 of the initial top 10 are still in the top 10. Major whiffs on Florida State and Virginia Tech. Wisconsin, Miami, Auburn, and Oregon were also pretty overrated. Washington State is probably the biggest surprise of the year.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe all the upsets were saved for this weekend. Would love to see Abarn beat bama
Regardless of what happens the rest of the way, I would prefer that Bammer win out. The only loss I would wish on them is to Clem's Son on the final.

And it ain't 'cause I'm any fan of that program; 2nd & 26 was way too close to a hell-on-earth existence that none of us want to experience again.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think there is less parity than I’ve seen in a long time. 5-6 really good teams. 30-50 decent teams. Then blah.
I think we have the CFP to thank for that. Kids want to go to playoff teams.

Bama has been to 4.
Clemson 3.
Oklahoma and Ohio St 2.

That's 9 of 16 spots in 4 years represented by 4 schools. Bama and Clemson are already penciled in again this year.

Correction: 11 of 16