2018 Offensive unit projections

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Don't make too much of it necessarily. I found it in 1 minute with a google search. Only to say that a ( maybe ) unbiased report sees things differently than we do. It was a snapshot of 2015 and 2016 I believe, so a limited sample to be sure. Just LOVED the DWAGS being at 107th !!

Well, in UGA's defense they are not the only ones but they have a knack for winning national championships in February and disappearing during crunch time after stomping a few Vanderbilts and Kentucky types along the way leading to the usual hype and hysteria. They, along with Texas and to a lesser extent Notre Dame remind me of the old nursery rhyme:

"Georgia Porgie pudding and pie
played with the girls and made them cry
when the boys came out to play
Georgie Porgie ran away"

It's one thing to bully the Tulanes of this world it is quite another to stand toe to toe with the big boys

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This on both counts. When the spacing is right between the QB and pitch back and the relationship is right -- four and four are the numbers I have read, deep and to the outside (visible) to the QB, then it is a basketball floor or soccer field with passing lanes created by the spacing. And yep, otherwise the QB just keeps it and it is HS again. That, as Krusty might say, is not a sustainable business model.

Spacing is critical which is why Quan is not the only culprit. The A backs need to up their game as well both blocking and running hard through arm tackles. The entire offense needs to improve not just the quarterback who as we all know draws criticism and praise like a magnet warranted or not.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Again , u are right on point.

I have rewatched and rewatched the "every offensive play gt verses ... video for the last 4 games of 17. I see that coach is often calling a series of plays that do not involve the true triple option.
Imo , like jerry says above, folks are getting crafty at confusing our assignments, so we are going to more called plays. Maybe we will show them "we run the damb ball" in 18, but we need some alternatives

I would love to see us sub more player than the ab. How bout in pass situation we send in a tall wr and put him in motion. Also be sure best pass catching sr is in game ( searcy) . We keep trying the fake pass qb run w little threat of pass.

How bout in run situation we put in exta bb (jumbo). Or extra bb and lineman jumbo jumbo. ??

If I understand you correctly, you have watched the offensive play series of Tech vs Duke in 2017? Son, just because our savior was scourged and beaten does not mean you must punish yourself like that. Seek pastoral counseling with your priest, rabbi, or pastor soon.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It's true isn't it? You can't coach speed.

Searcy is one slippery son of a gun. Trying to tackle him in the open field is like trying to nail jelly on a wall. He has more gears than a 16 wheeler. Reminds me a little of Bostic back in 2014.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Exactly my point. For whatever reason, we are not developing QUALITY depth, especially at I would contend , is the 2nd most vital position on our offense - QB being the first. If you look back since CPJ has been here, we have seldom , if ever, had 2 deep with quality players at the OL positions , AND every one of them be a different name. Way too many instances of " either or " . Is it recruiting , or coaching , or bad luck , or all three ? IMO opinion, it is the main factor in explaining why we don't consistently contend for at least the ACC title. And by consistently I mean every year be in the conversation at game 9 or 10, at least.

Those are good points. I think it is the tackle position that has bedeviled our coaches the most. It is hard to find players with the athletic ability to play tackle that are also big enough to drive block. We had a lineman that was a good player a few years ago and like Will this past year also versatile enough to play tackle and guard. He made no bones about it that he much preferred playing guard. Don't really know why but there it is.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
who is kaipo
Kaipo noa kaheaku-enhada.

Played for Coach Johnson at the Naval Academy, were they called him Special K.

Coach Johnson coach at Hawaii, and one of his quarterbacks became a high school coach, who implemented Coach Johnson system.

Kaipo played quarterback in Coach Johnson system in high school, in Hawaii and then went to the Naval Academy.

Purely in terms of operating the offense, making the reads, distributing the ball, he's still the best I've ever seen.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Those are good points. I think it is the tackle position that has bedeviled our coaches the most. It is hard to find players with the athletic ability to play tackle that are also big enough to drive block. We had a lineman that was a good player a few years ago and like Will this past year also versatile enough to play tackle and guard. He made no bones about it that he much preferred playing guard. Don't really know why but there it is.
With the nature of what our OL have to do - get themselves off the ground - many, many times during the game after cut blocks, I might imagine fatigue could be a factor late in games and even the season. Can you imagine getting your 300 lb. self off the ground in September/October heat and humidity 40 or 50 times a game - or more ?? WE MUST HAVE 10 OL THAT ARE STRONG ENOUGH, KNOWLEDGEABLE ENOUGH, AND CONDITIONED ENOUGH ( Devine ? ) to play a 13 game season. That means , with the inevitable injuries you might need 12 or 13. I counted 23 OL on our roster ( ARMY had 28 ) the last time I looked, but we are " forced " to play something like the best 9 ??????????
Like I said : recruiting or coaching or bad luck ......or all three ??

Last edited:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Well, in UGA's defense they are not the only ones but they have a knack for winning national championships in February and disappearing during crunch time after stomping a few Vanderbilts and Kentucky types along the way leading to the usual hype and hysteria. They, along with Texas and to a lesser extent Notre Dame remind me of the old nursery rhyme:

"Georgia Porgie pudding and pie
played with the girls and made them cry
when the boys came out to play
Georgie Porgie ran away"

It's one thing to bully the Tulanes of this world it is quite another to stand toe to toe with the big boys
Did you notice who was near the top ? Appy State !! I am looking for some " coaching up " with technique and attitude on our D !!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
With the nature of what our OL have to do - get themselves off the ground - many, many times during the game after cut blocks, I might imagine fatigue could be a factor late in games and even the season. Can you imagine getting your 300 lb. self off the ground in September/October heat and humidity 40 or 50 times a game - or more ?? WE MUST HAVE 10 OL THAT ARE STRONG ENOUGH, KNOWLEDGEABLE ENOUGH, AND CONDITIONED ENOUGH ( Devine ? ) to play a 13 game season. That means , with the inevitable injuries you might need 12 or 13. I counted 23 OL on our roster ( ARMY had 28 ) the last time I looked, but we are " forced " to play something like the best 9 ??????????

Probably all three but I must admit we have had some very good ones that are strong and athletic like Shaq, Parker, and Will. Just not enough of them. Having only 6 or 7 ready to play like we had at times last year is unacceptable.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Kaipo noa kaheaku-enhada.

Purely in terms of operating the offense, making the reads, distributing the ball, he's still the best I've ever seen.
Yes, and he couldn't throw even one little bit. He was like Nesbitt: he had the arm, but he couldn't make the short to medium throws and usually missed the long ones. But, lord in Heaven above, could he run. Here's the best film I found:

Like the guy says, "Look at the burst!"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and he couldn't throw even one little bit. He was like Nesbitt: he had the arm, but he couldn't make the short to medium throws and usually missed the long ones. But, lord in Heaven above, could he run. Here's the best film I found:

Great vision to see the hole before open- guy just ran the curve at speed then hit the throttle. Guy looks so smooth - like on motorcycle.

tQ seems-to run straight then cut up into the hole. When he cuts he does cut hard. Maybe with more experience he can trust the play burn this seam.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

TM would have scored on that run, too, had he read the first option correctly. The best part was the mesh. We don't have nearly the deception on the mesh as these guys.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
28 is an interesting figure. Is that from the typical college roster, or from the unlimited numbers the service academies are allowed? (And if you want to see a QB keep it and run for his life offense, Army is your ticket. Even Navy is a bit broader on offense. Bradshaw has some suggestions of Nesbitt about him.)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

A good start would be more planned rotation.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
28 is an interesting figure. Is that from the typical college roster, or from the unlimited numbers the service academies are allowed? (And if you want to see a QB keep it and run for his life offense, Army is your ticket. Even Navy is a bit broader on offense. Bradshaw has some suggestions of Nesbitt about him.)
I just casually perused the rosters of Navy , Army and GT. Not very scientific. IIRC, Navy had about the same as ARMY. I might get bored and see what others with run oriented offenses have - like Wisconsin. I will put my results in a separate thread.