2018 Off Season Thread

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching my son's FB practice yesterday.....4-5-6 graders CYO. Water break and another dad calls his son over to his car and starts on a tirade about what the kid was doing wrong. Then calls him an idiot before sending him back.

Really felt like getting out of my truck and giving him a beat down

The season cannot start soon enough.

I hate seeing it. Unfortunately most of those Dads are the ones who think they could've made it if they "applied themselves", "didn't get hurt", etc. In short, they're living through their kids. The best thing I found with most young kids in coaching is to get them to love the sport first and motivate them later in life to push to become better. Ultimately, nobody will get to a college level sport without self-drive and love of the game. I coach my daughter (9 and 10 year olds) in basketball and soccer and the parents are the worst part of the "job". Related story, I was talking to another dad about what it takes to get to the next level and recalled my brother (who was a D 1, full scholarship basketball player. PG in fact!), who at 10 years old, would go in the unfinished portion of our basement, put down electrical tape, and do foot/agility drills. This was without my dad asking, or forcing, him to do it. There are very few people so naturally gifted that they can get to the next level on athleticism alone, the vast majority of folks have to love the game and work their asses off. So IMO, gotta love the game first.

Animal02

Banned
I hate seeing it. Unfortunately most of those Dads are the ones who think they could've made it if they "applied themselves", "didn't get hurt", etc. In short, they're living through their kids. The best thing I found with most young kids in coaching is to get them to love the sport first and motivate them later in life to push to become better. Ultimately, nobody will get to a college level sport without self-drive and love of the game. I coach my daughter (9 and 10 year olds) in basketball and soccer and the parents are the worst part of the "job". Related story, I was talking to another dad about what it takes to get to the next level and recalled my brother (who was a D 1, full scholarship basketball player. PG in fact!), who at 10 years old, would go in the unfinished portion of our basement, put down electrical tape, and do foot/agility drills. This was without my dad asking, or forcing, him to do it. There are very few people so naturally gifted that they can get to the next level on athleticism alone, the vast majority of folks have to love the game and work their asses off. So IMO, gotta love the game first.
I never played until 9th grade. Never got it until I was a senior. Was recruited by West Point, the Ivy League schools, and had school offer D2. Had the grades, test scores and potential size....6'6" about 230....which back in the day, was pretty big......not quite full D1 big.....I didn't love it that much to pursue....loved the thought of becoming an architect more.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Watching my son's FB practice yesterday.....4-5-6 graders CYO. Water break and another dad calls his son over to his car and starts on a tirade about what the kid was doing wrong. Then calls him an idiot before sending him back.

Dad's like that are the idiots by putting the wrong price tags on activities like sports. Kids that age need direction, appropriate correction and support. Any Dad risking losing the relationship over 5th grade football has horribly wrong priorities..

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Dads like that are why I stopped coaching, I was afraid I was going to a** stomp one and decided to step away. I didn't even coach my own son, was at every practice and worked with him hours on end but I could not go back to coaching. When he was coming up I was very selective of the coaches he played, fortunately I knew most of them.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan

That’s pitiful. My dad was always tough on me to the point of being a complete ***. Made me walk away from sports when I got the chance. Regret it now, and I feel like if he would have don’t it a little differently I would have kept it up.

Now my son plays and I just try to be his biggest supporter and best teacher. Sometimes it tough to not get upset, but you gotta see big picture what’s most important!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am reminded of the 10,000 hours that Malcolm Gladwell referenced.