2018 NBA Draft/Atlanta Hawks

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
This years draft is very intriguing to me. It seems like everyone has DeAndre Ayton at #1. But nobody knows after that. The Atlanta Hawks have three 1st round picks (#3, #19, #30).
I have no idea what the Hawks are going to do or who they should get. I just hope Josh Okogie is there at #30 :)

Who do you think will go 1-5? And who should the Hawks draft with their three 1st round picks?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
1-Ayton
2-Doncic
3-Bagley
4-MPJ
5-Bamba

What I want to happen:
1-PHX) Ayton
2-SAC) Bagley
3-DAL) Doncic (trade from 5 to 3 to take Luka and Hawks pick up #5 and future first. It all makes too much sense, everyone has been saying Hawks aren't high on him and Dallas would be a perfect fit with Dennis Smith and as you know they have the Euro connection lol)
4-ATL) Jaren Jackson/Mo Bamba(traded with Grizzlies and picked up the 4th pick and the awful contract of Parsons for the 19th pick)
5-ATL) Trae Young (possible chance of getting a superstar guard, also possible chance of another Jimmer. But what I do know is Atlanta wouldn't be last in attendance this year. Especially after the new owner put all this money into the stadium renovation,practice facility, etc. He wants butts in the seats...or at the very least, standing at the on court bar)
*Bazemore or Schröder might end up in one the trades*

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Ayton and Doncic will be gone so I hope the Hawks take Bamba, Porter or *shudders* Young.

Seems clear to me the Porter kerfuffle, is he injured/is he not, is gamesmanship to force certain teams to pass on him. Rumors he's trying to force a drop to CLE at 8. Either that or he has a top5 promise. Likely from DAL.

Top5 guy I do not want is JJJ. Marvin Williams all over again. College guy, highly-skilled but magically incapable of dominating offensively. Lacks mentality to takeover even when he out-talents guys. Michigan State bigs do. not. translate. They are system players. (Draymond is an anomaly because of who he plays for/with so don't give me that one.). Izzo guys are just like Duke guys prior to when K sold his sole to the OAD devil. Productive in college, middling in the NBA. JJJ is the guy who gets the GM fired ... just like DuckButt aka Marvin.

@ChasonBaller I don't believe in trading down in the top 3-5. What BOS did last year was the exception.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I think Ayton and Doncic will be gone so I hope the Hawks take Bamba, Porter or *shudders* Young.

Seems clear to me the Porter kerfuffle, is he injured/is he not, is gamesmanship to force certain teams to pass on him. Rumors he's trying to force a drop to CLE at 8. Either that or he has a top5 promise. Likely from DAL.

Top5 guy I do not want is JJJ. Marvin Williams all over again. College guy, highly-skilled but magically incapable of dominating offensively. Lacks mentality to takeover even when he out-talents guys. Michigan State bigs do. not. translate. They are system players. (Draymond is an anomaly because of who he plays for/with so don't give me that one.). Izzo guys are just like Duke guys prior to when K sold his sole to the OAD devil. Productive in college, middling in the NBA. JJJ is the guy who gets the GM fired ... just like DuckButt aka Marvin.

@ChasonBaller I don't believe in trading down in the top 3-5. What BOS did last year was the exception.
Trading back twice inside the top 5?
Imma speak into into existence like King Lavar :cool:
Also, I have gone back and forth on JJJ..and still haven't decided. At times he looks incredible, at times I'm wondering how he is a top 10 player. Something about him just concerns me, maybe it's his work ethic but I don't know. It might just be that our last Mich St. big man was Adrien Payne...and we all know how that turned out. I just have a feeling and Woj didnt help it, that JJJ will be a Hawk and it's Marvin over CP3 again :banghead::whistle:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I liked it a LOT better when the Hawks were good, and only had to worry about developmental talent that would MAYBE contribute 10-15 minutes/game his first year, and be a large role player in years 2-3, and grow into a starter.

Of course, this is the Hawks. We can't have nice things for too long.

Uncle Blank check needs to buy the Hawks and unite the Atlanta teams (not the Braves since they high tailed it to Cobb). ASAP.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hawks top 3 pick? Obvious choice is a really good college 6th man. :banghead:

Edit: got @kg01'd

That's a dubious honor, sir. It was still a good post though. I chuckled mildly. :D

Trading back twice inside the top 5?
Imma speak into into existence like King Lavar :cool:
Also, I have gone back and forth on JJJ..and still haven't decided. At times he looks incredible, at times I'm wondering how he is a top 10 player. Something about him just concerns me, maybe it's his work ethic but I don't know. It might just be that our last Mich St. big man was Adrien Payne...and we all know how that turned out. I just have a feeling and Woj didnt help it, that JJJ will be a Hawk and it's Marvin over CP3 again :banghead::whistle:

My old standby is if a guy can't consistently dominate lesser comp, it's highly unlikely it'll get better as comp increases. I was shocked POR drafted Zack Collins in the lotto last year. He has literally never started a game .. on any level! Not high school, not AAU, not college. That's a red flag. Sorry, he may have a career but he'll never be a gamechanger.

JJJ is similar to me. Oftentimes he was unplayable at MichSt because he couldn't stop fouling. He disappeared a LOT, specifically in the tournament which is troubling. He's in the EZPass Lane to me.

I liked it a LOT better when the Hawks were good, and only had to worry about developmental talent that would MAYBE contribute 10-15 minutes/game his first year, and be a large role player in years 2-3, and grow into a starter.

Of course, this is the Hawks. We can't have nice things for too long.

Uncle Blank check needs to buy the Hawks and unite the Atlanta teams (not the Braves since they high tailed it to Cobb). ASAP.

This post is offensive. I've been a Hawks fan since the mid 80's and our problem has been the same since then. Continually asking lesser players to do more than they're capable of. This process, as horrid as it is, has been necessary for years in order to increase the actual talent level of the team.

I say, "actual" because simply making the playoffs doesn't take much actual talent. And since all they've ever wanted to do was 'make the playoffs' they've hidden behind the fact that our middling talent = playoff appearances. Well, I kinda want to contend. Is that so wrong? To do that, considering high-level free agency is not available to us (and about 25 other teams if we're being honest) they need NBA currency which is young talent or lotto picks.

Being in the lotto the next couple years is the best chance to improve the team to the level of a contender via draft or trade. That doesn't mean we take 5 lotto picks in a row. Look at how HOU became a contender. Used lotto picks and young talent to acquire Har_en. Considering the cap situation of most teams, a high-caliber player will become available in similar fashion.

Gotta go for it, Techster. Can't be sittin back paying guys max deals then be out of the playoffs in round 1/2.

This NBA education session will only cost you 2 gallons of Mayfield. Thanks. :D

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This post is offensive. I've been a Hawks fan since the mid 80's and our problem has been the same since then. Continually asking lesser players to do more than they're capable of. This process, as horrid as it is, has been necessary for years in order to increase the actual talent level of the team.

I say, "actual" because simply making the playoffs doesn't take much actual talent. And since all they've ever wanted to do was 'make the playoffs' they've hidden behind the fact that our middling talent = playoff appearances. Well, I kinda want to contend. Is that so wrong? To do that, considering high-level free agency is not available to us (and about 25 other teams if we're being honest) they need NBA currency which is young talent or lotto picks.

Being in the lotto the next couple years is the best chance to improve the team to the level of a contender via draft or trade. That doesn't mean we take 5 lotto picks in a row. Look at how HOU became a contender. Used lotto picks and young talent to acquire Har_en. Considering the cap situation of most teams, a high-caliber player will become available in similar fashion.

Gotta go for it, Techster. Can't be sittin back paying guys max deals then be out of the playoffs in round 1/2.

This NBA education session will only cost you 2 gallons of Mayfield. Thanks. :D

lol. Oh, I'm all for going for it. Remember this though. The Hawks best teams have always run into once in a generation type situations. MJ and the Bulls in the 90's when we had Mookie, Steve Smith, and Mutumbo. Then we ran into Lebron the last decade when we were the #1 seed in 2015, and pretty darn good the other years under Coach Bud.

Plus, I just don't trust Atlanta with lottery picks.

PS...1 cup size serving of Jenny's is worth more than 2 gallons of Mayfield.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
lol. Oh, I'm all for going for it. Remember this though. The Hawks best teams have always run into once in a generation type situations. MJ and the Bulls in the 90's when we had Mookie, Steve Smith, and Mutumbo. Then we ran into Lebron the last decade when we were the #1 seed in 2015, and pretty darn good the other years under Coach Bud.

Plus, I just don't trust Atlanta with lottery picks.

PS...1 cup size serving of Jenny's is worth more than 2 gallons of Mayfield.

The solution then is to try to get a generational guy, not to just keep burning through cash hoping the other generational guys decide to quit and play baseball.

I don't know who 'Jenny' is but if she makes a good ice cream feel free to send her to the house with two scoops ... oh you meant ... :D

Techster

Helluva Engineer

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck

I was just telling my dad the other day that Jaren Jackson = Marvin Williams 2.0. I will be very disappointed if they get him. If I remember correctly, Jackson was a no show in the NCAA tournament game against Syracuse. He wasn't even on the floor in the last 10 minutes of a very close game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hawks strongly interested in Luka Doncic with 3rd overall pick, sources say
Slovenian teen star Luka Doncic has elevated to the forefront of the Atlanta Hawks' internal discussions on the third overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft, league sources told ESPN.

Doncic's elevation within the Hawks organization reflects a leaguewide belief that Deandre Ayton and Marvin Bagley III could go 1-2 to Phoenix and Sacramento, respectively, to open the draft, league sources said.
Doncic started to separate himself in organizational discussions around the choice, an examination that has included a tremendous intrigue with Jaren Jackson Jr., league sources said.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

All the 'insiders' on the Hawks' board are saying it's 1 Ayton, 2 Bagley, 3 Doncic and the shenanigans start at 4.

Hawks trying to use 19/30 to move back into the late lotto for Young. Dennis/Baze on the table.

Also, cute how CHA just traded Howard to BKN for Mozgov and 2 2nds. So CHA takes on more money/years to get rid of Howard? Interesting ... but not really considering Mitch Kupchak is a horrid GM (when he doesn't have Jerry West telling him what to do). Plus, as was the case in Atlanta, everybody in the lockerroom hated Howard.

ETA: Brendan Haywood is on NBARadio right now saying his sources told him this. Refused to accept responsibility, fake, etc. He literally said, "They HAD to get him out of there."

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Being a Hornets fan is bordering on the same level as being a Cleveland Browns fan.
you are about to have the 8th and 11th pick...does that get you a little excited? Lol
Watch them take the duo that "could have should have" ended up at tech in Wendell Carter and Young Bull Sexton

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
All the 'insiders' on the Hawks' board are saying it's 1 Ayton, 2 Bagley, 3 Doncic and the shenanigans start at 4.

Hawks trying to use 19/30 to move back into the late lotto for Young. Dennis/Baze on the table.

Also, cute how CHA just traded Howard to BKN for Mozgov and 2 2nds. So CHA takes on more money/years to get rid of Howard? Interesting ... but not really considering Mitch Kupchak is a horrid GM (when he doesn't have Jerry West telling him what to do). Plus, as was the case in Atlanta, everybody in the lockerroom hated Howard.

ETA: Brendan Haywood is on NBARadio right now saying his sources told him this. Refused to accept responsibility, fake, etc. He literally said, "They HAD to get him out of there."
Do you see Trae falling far enough? I can't imagine it but that's just my opinion.

The other thing that I am wondering about is if the Hawks are actually looking to take Luka at 3, why would they trade back up to take Lonnie Walker who plays the same position? People can say Luka is a point guard all they want but he is a 2 all the way...if you think Trae Young trying to stay in front of 1s would be bad