2018 Baseball "preseason"

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

I'm working hard on not worrying about things I cannot change. GT football :poop: is giving me practice. Hopefully with minimum expectations only of a baseball NCAA bid, there won't be any challenge to accepting less. :unsure:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

I'm working hard on not worrying about things I cannot change. GT football :poop: is giving me practice. Hopefully with minimum expectations only of a baseball NCAA bid, there won't be any challenge to accepting less. :unsure:
Two things to track during the upcoming baseball season:
1) The actual performance of our beloved baseball team
& if that doesn't work out, there's always....
2) @GTNavyNuke's ability to follow through on his mysterious, self-proclaimed "emotional control" program.
;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The 2018 schedule is posted. If 2017's schedule/results pop up... check the dropdown to select 2018.
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/geot-m-basebl-sched.html

12 games leading up to ACC opener (at Clemson). 2017 RPI in parathesis. Ga Tech finished 2017 at #75 in RPI...for what it is worth.
Minnesota (72)
Bradley (208)
UConn (42)
Ga Southern (86)
Dartmouth x 3 (116)
Ark-Pine Bluff (283)
UIC x 3 (99)
Ga State (215)

The only game on that list not at Russ Chandler is Ga Southern.

CDH enters his 25th season with Tech. He has some milestones he will hit early in the season. He is 4 wins away from 1200 career wins and 12 wins away from 1000 at Ga Tech. Do we run the table (12-0 start) and he gets to 1000 before traveling to Clemson OR is a win at Clemson the 1000th win?

As for the rest of the schedule. The usual suspects in the OOC slate..for the most part.
3 x UGA (85)
2 x Auburn (38)
2 x Mercer (77)
2 x Ga Southern (86)
2 x Ga State (215)
3 x Radford (155)
1 x Kennesaw St (156)
1 x SE Missouri St (136)

ACC schedule:
@ Clemson (15)
Va Tech (122)
@ NC State (27)
Miami (43)
FSU (8)
@ Pitt (131)
@ UNC (5)
Wake (10)
@ UVA (17)
Duke (91)

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
The 2018 schedule is posted. If 2017's schedule/results pop up... check the dropdown to select 2018.
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/geot-m-basebl-sched.html

12 games leading up to ACC opener (at Clemson). 2017 RPI in parathesis. Ga Tech finished 2017 at #75 in RPI...for what it is worth.
Minnesota (72)
Bradley (208)
UConn (42)
Ga Southern (86)
Dartmouth x 3 (116)
Ark-Pine Bluff (283)
UIC x 3 (99)
Ga State (215)

The only game on that list not at Russ Chandler is Ga Southern.

CDH enters his 25th season with Tech. He has some milestones he will hit early in the season. He is 4 wins away from 1200 career wins and 12 wins away from 1000 at Ga Tech. Do we run the table (12-0 start) and he gets to 1000 before traveling to Clemson OR is a win at Clemson the 1000th win?

As for the rest of the schedule. The usual suspects in the OOC slate..for the most part.
3 x UGA (85)
2 x Auburn (38)
2 x Mercer (77)
2 x Ga Southern (86)
2 x Ga State (215)
3 x Radford (155)
1 x Kennesaw St (156)
1 x SE Missouri St (136)

ACC schedule:
@ Clemson (15)
Va Tech (122)
@ NC State (27)
Miami (43)
FSU (8)
@ Pitt (131)
@ UNC (5)
Wake (10)
@ UVA (17)
Duke (91)
When will the times be released for the games?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@FredJacket , thanks for the last year RPI ratings. With 5 of the top 20 teams being from the ACC, it shows we have a lot of tough games to go. (We ended up #75 wooooooo.) Of course, this year's ending RPI will be a lot different, but there should be a lot of ACC teams in the top 20.

At least we miss L'Ville (#6).:barefoot::bored:

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Congrats to Joey Bart & Wade Bailey on earning preseason all-America recognition from @CBNewspaper! #TogetherWeSwarm http://buzz.gt/18basepreAA
DRWvsuQW4AI-JKo.jpg

DRWvtzmX4AA76Jo.jpg

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We have flirted with 40 wins in recent seasons. Taking a macro look at the schedule, I want to think/wish/hope we can get there. Call it a “stretch goal”. Here are win totals from last 5 seasons:
2017 – 27
2016 – 38
2015 – 32
2014 – 37
2013 – 37

2018 Schedule:
56 games (30 ACC, 26 OOC)
35 at home (15 ACC)
21 away/neutral (15 ACC)
?? post-season

There is such a big difference in winning a conference series (and piling a few up).. than losing them. Last year (a bad season), the ACC record was killed by 7 consecutive losses (Clem, 3xND, 3xLOU)... you just cannot be swept...don't allow losses to congregate. If I were king for the day and able to set ONE team goal or slogan for the season, it would be "Bounce BACK - no back-to-back losses"

Here is how I get to 42 wins with my wish/hope/think "Season Record" (42-24). This requires a pretty strong post-season and dominating at home, in general... and particularly OOC. Doing this exercise makes one realize just how much losses seem to hurt a record more than wins help (not logical.. I know).

ACC Overall (17-13)
Home ACC play (10-5):
1x (3-0: VT or WF)
3x (2-1)
1x (1-2: FSU or MIA)

Road ACC play (7-8):
3x (1-2)
2x (2-1)

OOC Overall (19-7)
Home OOC (16-4)
Away/Neutral OOC (3-3)

Postseason Overall (6-4)
ACC Tourney (2-1: Win Pool. Semi-final Loss)
NCAA Regional win (3-1)
NCAA SR Loss (1-2)

Who's with me? I KNOW it is a huge stretch...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Have I ever mentioned how important I think our pitching is to any potential success we might have? Forget about everything else (with the possible exception of adequate defense, which we did not play last year), our pitching will tell the story. I need not ruin everyone's day with our recent pitching stats, but I am a skeptic with Hall until he actually posts some good pitching results...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have I ever mentioned how important I think our pitching is to any potential success we might have? Forget about everything else (with the possible exception of adequate defense, which we did not play last year), our pitching will tell the story. I need not ruin everyone's day with our recent pitching stats, but I am a skeptic with Hall until he actually posts some good pitching results...

I updated the potential pitchers a few minutes ago since I agree that pitching will make or break or season again (and again). Right now everything is Rainbows, Butterflies and Unicorns (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=RBUs) :censored::cautious::barefoot: