2018 ACC Football Kickoff

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And what statistic says we shouldn't be better than we are?
1) Historically we haven’t been better than what we’ve been under CPJ for the most part.
2)We require calculus and while some might blow it off I can think of three kids right now who did not come to tech (from what I heard) or had to leave because of academics.
3) bottom half in funding in all of power 5 schools
4) about half the degree options as schools we are competing against.
5) until this year we had around 3 help staff members while schools like UGA had over 30.
6) edge center where student athletes hang out is not on par with other competing schools.
7) locker room had not been updated since the early 2000’s until this year.
8) Russell

I’ve said this before but let’s say you were the manager at a small store that sold TV’s but you only sold Vizio and only had 2 sales guys And your store was really outdated with mostly older model TV’s. Your boss comes to you and says he needs you to match the sales of the store down the road but won’t give you any more resources. The store down the road is new, bigger, sales all TV’s and newer models, plus has 10 sales guys. Are you going to think that’s a reasonable thing for your boss to ask? This is pretty much how I see GT be most other schools we compete against. Yet we have had more success than a lot of them over the past 10 years.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Georgia Tech on Clemson, more #ACC Kickoff:
Link
https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/07/18/georgia-tech-on-clemson-more/

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Georgia Tech linebacker Brant Mitchell, quarterback TaQuon Marshall and head coach Paul Johnson talked to the media Wednesday afternoon at the ACC Football Kickoff.

Johnson on if Clemson’s multimillion dollar facility gives it a leg up competitively:

“Well, it certainly doesn’t hurt them. I’m not sure that just that one aspect changes anything, but I think that just the overall commitment to the program, not just with facilities, but with budgets, with personnel, with all those kind of things.

“You know, every school is different. Georgia Tech and Clemson are set up differently as far as the schools go. We have far less students. Our fan base is probably not as big. We’re not going to have as many people at the game. So we’re not going to win an arms race with Clemson. But what we’ve got to do is sell what we have that’s positive.

“But you want — certainly it’s not going to hurt you to have those kind of facilities, that’s for sure.”

Marshall on Clemson’s defense, defensive line:

“They were definitely the toughest for sure. To me, Georgia had a pretty tough defense, Clemson to me was a pretty tough defense. Everybody is going to talk about their D-Line for the next couple of days and probably the rest of this year.

“If they stay healthy then they are by far the best D-Line you will see play in college football, in my opinion, and I’m sure other people will say the same thing. They are the best group you will see come through this game.”

Mitchell and Marshall on only winning two games since October 21st:

“Last season was last season,” Marshall said. “This is probably the only sport that you get to start over completely… 0-0. We are going to take it one game at a time starting September 1st. You just have to take it one game at a time. You focus on the things you need to know that game. You watch film and prepare the best that you can.”

“To look back on it, it is really about the detail of the game and preventing big plays from happening,” Mitchell said. “We go up against every opponent the same and compete just as hard as anyone else. It is a game of inches. I think the sky is the limit this year if we can come out and focus on the details and not give up plays that turn into touchdowns, losses. If we can prevent that from happening, we can go as far as we want to go.”

Marshall on Georgia Tech’s offense and having running QBs:

“We got a lot of guys returning so we have a lot of guys with experience. We have a lot of experience on offense so I’m really excited. From the defensive point of view, it is a bigger threat. It just adds another aspect to the defense that they have to cover. This offseason I’ve been really working on the pass game. I struggled a lot last year hitting the guys with the long passes. That is one of my main focuses going into this season.”

Mitchell on Georgia Tech’s defense:

“It’s an attack-style defense. We are going to be moving a lot more. I think our defense is a little more unpredictable than it has been in the past and I think that is going to really help us this season. Our defense really shows how athletic we are and I am excited to get this season started.”

GTFLETCH

Banned
GEORGIA TECH EAGERLY LOOKING AHEAD TO 2018 SEASON AT ACC MEDIA DAYS
Link
https://theskyboat.com/georgia-tech-eagerly-looking-ahead-to-2018-season-at-acc-media-days/

Charlotte, NC- Looking to improve upon a disappointing 5-6 record in 2017, Georgia Tech entered the 2018 ACC Kickoff with a message of how a new-look defense will re-energize the program and regain the success they had two seasons ago in 2016.

Shortly after the 2017 football season ended, Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Ted Roof left for NC State, leaving Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson to search for a replacement. Johnson found his guy with former Appalachian State defensive coordinator Nate Woody who has installed a more aggressive 3-4 defensive front.

Coach Johnson spoke about the new defense saying, “I wanted to be more aggressive and simpler so that the guys could utilize their speed and quickness and could play fast. I think it’s important no matter what you do to be able to play fast, and hopefully, he [Nate Woody] will bring that.”

Along with coach Johnson, the Yellow Jackets brought senior linebacker and team captain Brant Mitchell to the 2018 ACC Kickoff. Mitchell echoed what coach Johnson said about the attacking and aggressive defense and hopes they will have the ability to be more “unpredictable” on the defensive side of the ball. The hope of this new defense will be to create more negative plays for their opposition and give the offense the football back more often throughout a game.

Offensively, the big question is how second-year starting quarterback Taquon Marshall will improve from year one to year two under the Paul Johnson instituted triple-option attack. Marshall had success on the field rushing for over 1,000 yards but will look to be more consistent in the passing game to take the offense to the next level.

Marshall was asked what changes he made in the offseason to improve his passing saying, “last year I struggled a lot hitting some of the guys that were wide open, just throwing the ball in general, so that’s one of the main things that I’ve worked on this spring.” The senior hopes that his improvement in this area will make him a more complete quarterback as he heads into his final season with the Ramblin’ Wreck.

Although not known for a passing game due to their unique offense, the Yellow Jackets expressed how hard the team has worked to improve on that side of the ball to create more unpredictability to go alongside their more aggressive defense.

Coach Johnson expressed his belief in his returning quarterback by saying, “I think he has the confidence of our football team. He’s very dynamic. He’s athletic. He can create a lot of big plays with his athleticism, and I’m hopeful and I really believe that after having a year in the system, he’s going to be more comfortable and just be better than he was even a year ago.”

Last season, Georgia Tech had three losses determined by six total points. Because of this, coach Johnson and the Yellow Jackets are confident that they can compete with anyone on their schedule. They hope to make it back to the ACC Championship Game as they haven’t won it since 2009. With returning starters on both sides of the ball and a more aggressive defense, the Yellow Jackets are a big sleeper pick in the ACC Coastal division.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I've got PLENTY of stats to tell you CPJ
Can't believe nobody heard him say how we have way less students than Clemson and that's a reason why we wont ever be as good as them. This guy just doesn't get it
Where did he say we won't ever be as good as them? He said we won't win an arms race with them, which I would struggle to come up with any relevant argument to refute that. My interpretation of his overall point is that GT's commitment of overall resources to football is different than Clemsons', and it is. IMHO, he's been fighting to narrow that difference since he's been here. And by the way, GT's undergrad enrollment, where it counts when comparing available student support, is about 17% smaller than Clemson. I'll give it you that I wouldn't categorize that as way less, but we are smaller when talking about kids on campus available for a football Saturday.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Can't believe nobody heard him say how we have way less students than Clemson and that's a reason why we wont ever be as good as them. This guy just doesn't get it

More students leads to more alumni, which, in turn, leads to more demand for a quality football product, then more support, then more pressure on school Administration, then bigger athletic budgets, then more money spent on facilities, staff, recruiting, then better infield results. Maybe he does get it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Where did he say we won't ever be as good as them? He said we won't win an arms race with them, which I would struggle to come up with any relevant argument to refute that. My interpretation of his overall point is that GT's commitment of overall resources to football is different than Clemsons', and it is. IMHO, he's been fighting to narrow that difference since he's been here. And by the way, GT's undergrad enrollment, where it counts when comparing available student support, is about 17% smaller than Clemson. I'll give it you that I wouldn't categorize that as way less, but we are smaller when talking about kids on campus available for a football Saturday.
Add to that, that there is a lot less entertainment options to do in Clemson on a game day (any day really) than than in Atlanta.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Instead of focusing on the Clemson comparison, y'all need to read the transcript. CPJ seems optimistic about the backs and the OL. That's RARE.
Agree, I’ve been saying I think we will have a really good season and possibly like 2014. After hearing CPJ it makes me feel even more confident in this.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Kinda sad to hear CPJ misspeak about the size of Georgia Tech compared to Clemson. We have just as many students as Clemson. So we've still got alot of potential to fill. As always Paul is downgrading his own place
He's talking about facilities and attracting recruits outside of any academics. Clemson has like water slides and all this crazy stuff that really stands out to kids, especially those that have solid football future and aren't too concerned about a degree.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
More students leads to more alumni, which, in turn, leads to more demand for a quality football product, then more support, then more pressure on school Administration, then bigger athletic budgets, then more money spent on facilities, staff, recruiting, then better infield results. Maybe he does get it.
Um we have just as many if not more students. That's why he doesn't get it

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
While GT has about 5,000 more students overall, Clemson has about 4,000 more undergraduates. IMHO, the undergraduate population is what one needs to look at when it comes to student support of the sports programs.
Actually they've got only around 3000 more students so whatever not a huge difference. That shouldn't be used by anybody as an excuse

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I saw somewhere that we've got 3000 more students
Even then, most of their students grew up in the states and know about football. I’d like to know how many students at GT have never heard or watched a game compared to Clemson. We are talking about two totally different type of students for the most part.