2018-19 revenue for each P5 conference and per-team distribution

GTFLETCH

Banned
The Power Five college sports conferences had more than $2.9 billion in combined revenue for their 2019 fiscal years, the conferences’ new federal tax records show.

1. BIG $781.5M ($55.6M)
2. SEC $720.6M ($45.3M)
3. Big 12 $439M ($38.2M to $42M)
4. PAC 12 $530.4M ($32.2M)
5. ACC $455.4M (varied from $27.6M to $34M. Notre Dame received $6.8M)

Link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nc...-fiscal-2019-new-tax-records-show/ar-BB16AB5g

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Power Five college sports conferences had more than $2.9 billion in combined revenue for their 2019 fiscal years, the conferences’ new federal tax records show.

1. BIG $781.5M ($55.6M)
2. SEC $720.6M ($45.3M)

Link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nc...-fiscal-2019-new-tax-records-show/ar-BB16AB5g

I wrote about how GT had an invite to join the B1G in the last round of expansion, and we turned it down. Obviously it doesn't make sense geographically and culturally, but man...that 20+ million extra a year is hard to overlook.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-playoff-national-championship-home-atlanta

Not only does Atlanta sit at the geographic heart of the SEC and the ACC, two of the conferences that make up the Power 5, but five years ago, when the Big Ten expanded to 14 teams, the league didn't take Rutgers until it had been turned down by Georgia Tech.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I wrote about how GT had an invite to join the B1G in the last round of expansion, and we turned it down. Obviously it doesn't make sense geographically and culturally, but man...that 20+ million extra a year is hard to overlook.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-playoff-national-championship-home-atlanta

Not only does Atlanta sit at the geographic heart of the SEC and the ACC, two of the conferences that make up the Power 5, but five years ago, when the Big Ten expanded to 14 teams, the league didn't take Rutgers until it had been turned down by Georgia Tech.

Wasn’t that after the $50 million ACC exit fee got ratified?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I was in favor of it for the money reason plus BIG gets far greater national coverage and publicity than does the ACC. BIG was a good fit for us from an academic standpoint and a good fit for them due to recruiting. The geographic argument was short sighted. Look at WVU--and ND for example. Boston isn't all that close to Miami, either.
Plus most of those schools are in or near bigger cities. Flying ATL to those cities is easy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was in favor of it for the money reason plus BIG gets far greater national coverage and publicity than does the ACC. BIG was a good fit for us from an academic standpoint and a good fit for them due to recruiting. The geographic argument was short sighted. Look at WVU--and ND for example. Boston isn't all that close to Miami, either.
Plus most of those schools are in or near bigger cities. Flying ATL to those cities is easy.

Outside of Clemson, GT doesn't really have any natural rivalries in the ACC. UGA will always be on our schedule.

I read that outside of the Midwest, Atlanta has the largest concentration of B1G graduates. Then you figure you have iconic teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, etc. that travel well. Those teams coming down to Atlanta would have had the college football world tuning in, and traveling to fill BDS. I would have more than welcomed traveling to 3-4 games a year to watch GT against those teams.

...oh, and that extra $20 million a year...not to mention the bump in attendance for GT home games.

In this day and age, distance should be less of a consideration. Someone brought up our non revenue sports and the cost for them to travel, but the cost of traveling expenses against the extra $20+ million a year isn't that much.

I've always said that GT biggest downfall are the people we hire to make strategic decisions.

Deleted member 2897

1. BIG $781.5M ($55.6M)
2. SEC $720.6M ($45.3M)

Link

When you realize the Pac 12 doesn't even play football or basketball, that's definitely doing more with less.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Outside of Clemson, GT doesn't really have any natural rivalries in the ACC. UGA will always be on our schedule.

I read that outside of the Midwest, Atlanta has the largest concentration of B1G graduates. Then you figure you have iconic teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, etc. that travel well. Those teams coming down to Atlanta would have had the college football world tuning in, and traveling to fill BDS. I would have more than welcomed traveling to 3-4 games a year to watch GT against those teams.

...oh, and that extra $20 million a year...not to mention the bump in attendance for GT home games.

In this day and age, distance should be less of a consideration. Someone brought up our non revenue sports and the cost for them to travel, but the cost of traveling expenses against the extra $20+ million a year isn't that much.

I've always said that GT biggest downfall are the people we hire to make strategic decisions.
Couldn’t agree more. The decision not to join B1G was the worst decision GT has made in the past 10 years. Then Radokovich bailed on us for us after that happened sigh :(

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I would love to play those teams in Football but there’s also b-ball and the other sports.

Double the money though....****. We could do be doing a lot with that. Hindsight is a *****.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

Why do you think Rad really left? Don’t listen to the other bs. He pushed thus hard. He knew we needed this. Our athletic program would be in great financial shape. It was a huge lost opportunity. In the future tough decisions will have to be made.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do you think Rad really left? Don’t listen to the other bs. He pushed thus hard. He knew we needed this. Our athletic program would be in great financial shape. It was a huge lost opportunity. In the future tough decisions will have to be made.

I never knew he wanted to make the jump.