2017 vs Tenn.

Animal02

Banned
I was thinking a similar thing. This may begin to change as we move into the playoff era. Four teams have a shot at a NC instead of just two. Strength of schedule is considered by the selection committee. We are seeing fewer and fewer seasons with more than 1 undefeated team (if any).

It makes me wonder if teams will schedule more challenging matchups and not worry so much about going undefeated when you see 1 loss and potentially 2 loss teams in the playoffs. I don't think cupcake games will disappear completely, but there might be fewer of them.

I also think if a match up like this happened, it should be the opening weekend. That also would minimize the impact on a loss missing out on the playoff.

Imagine this opening weekend featured.....

FSU / OSU
Clemp /MSU
UNC /Wisconsin
Louisville/Iowa
VT/Nebraska
Miami /Michigan
Duke /Minnesota
GT / Northwestern
NCST/ PSU
Pitt / MD
Cuse/ Indiana
UVA/Illini
B.C/Rutgers
W.F./ Purdue

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem with play more SEC teams is it does not give Tech any more national exposure......and Tech really needs to recruit nationally to be competitive. Playing Big Ten teams would do that...from the east coast out Nebraska.

I really hope that with Tech playing at Pitt , at ND next year, and eventually Syracuse and Louisville, they will take the opportunity to recruit those regions.

Well, if you look at where we've recruited, the vast majority of our players have come from the Southeast. We've had a smattering of kids of the upper and mid Atlantic area, and a few from the Midwest. GT will ALWAYS make its bones in the Southeast in terms of recruiting.

Animal02

Banned
Well, if you look at where we've recruited, the vast majority of our players have come from the Southeast. We've had a smattering of kids of the upper and mid Atlantic area, and a few from the Midwest. GT will ALWAYS make its bones in the Southeast in terms of recruiting.

And that has been a problem....and admitted too by Tech. With the added admission difficulty, Tech needs to recruit nationally. Yes lots of kids want to play in their own backyards, but Tech is not the normal state university with the grab bag of majors.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And that has been a problem....and admitted too by Tech. With the added admission difficulty, Tech needs to recruit nationally. Yes lots of kids want to play in their own backyards, but Tech is not the normal state university with the grab bag of majors.

I know what you're saying, but how many kids have we pulled from California, or Oregon, or Arizona, or Texas, or Wisconsin, or Utah in the last 10 years? We played BYU the past two seasons...how many kids have we gotten to even visit from Utah? Like I said previously, GT is getting kids where we've traditionally gotten them: Large majority from the Southeast, with a smattering of kids from the Northeast and Midwest. We're just targeting football rich areas we've historically recruited with an emphasis on great academic districts more now. Nothing really new there.

SI did research a few years ago, and the vast majority of kids stay within a 2 hour flight or a 4 hour car ride from where they came from. Playing a college in another state doesn't necessarily equate to recruiting access or more exposure because at the end of the day kids still want their parents and friends to come and watch them play. It's very expensive for families to pay for flights and hotels 6-7 times a year to watch their son play. If you read a post by Will Bryan's dad, he pretty much said Will would have gone to a prestigious out of state had it not been for the distance and cost to make to the games.

Of course there are some kids like Taj Griffin and James Vaughters who go against the norm and are willing to head to the opposite coast, but they are the exception and not the norm.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that the top four will be largely determined by the BCS computer models. Losses early in the season don't hurt your chances as much as late in the season. I could see two undefeated teams going into the conference championship (SEC, ACC, PAC10, whatever) and the loser would be bounced out of the top 4 almost for sure. A team which lost early in the year and didn't make the championship could easily be ranked above the team which lost late.

I'd love to see us play these tough games; but only if we have more depth. I think more players would get hurt in a UT game than a Woffard game.

Animal02

Banned
I know what you're saying, but how many kids have we pulled from California, or Oregon, or Arizona, or Texas, or Wisconsin, or Utah in the last 10 years? We played BYU the past two seasons...how many kids have we gotten to even visit from Utah? Like I said previously, GT is getting kids where we've traditionally gotten them: Large majority from the Southeast, with a smattering of kids from the Northeast and Midwest. We're just targeting football rich areas we've historically recruited with an emphasis on great academic districts more now. Nothing really new there.

SI did research a few years ago, and the vast majority of kids stay within a 2 hour flight or a 4 hour car ride from where they came from. Playing a college in another state doesn't necessarily equate to recruiting access or more exposure because at the end of the day kids still want their parents and friends to come and watch them play. It's very expensive for families to pay for flights and hotels 6-7 times a year to watch their son play. If you read a post by Will Bryan's dad, he pretty much said Will would have gone to a prestigious out of state had it not been for the distance and cost to make to the games.

Of course there are some kids like Taj Griffin and James Vaughters who go against the norm and are willing to head to the opposite coast, but they are the exception and not the norm.
Kind of a chicken egg thing......we don't get kids from outside of the southeast because we don't recruit outside of the southeast. Tech needs to market itself to the exceptional student athlete......not the run of the mill ones.....many of the exceptional student athletes will come from private h.s schools as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

This x 10. Only Stanford really breaks the mold recruiting nationally. We don't have the tree's diversity of majors to realistically be able to do this IMO.

Playing up in the big ten will help with exposure more than playing SEC teams.? Not in the current football climate. TV gives everyone fairly equal footing. Game time affects this more than the geography of where the game is played. More eyes are on sec games than b10 IMO.

Animal02

Banned
This x 10. Only Stanford really breaks the mold recruiting nationally. We don't have the tree's diversity of majors to realistically be able to do this IMO.

Playing up in the big ten will help with exposure more than playing SEC teams.? Not in the current football climate. TV gives everyone fairly equal footing. Game time affects this more than the geography of where the game is played. More eyes are on sec games than b10 IMO.

I disagree .....not having the degree diversity makes it all the more important to fight nationally for top student athletes interested in the majors Tech offers......WRT to TV......with regional broadcasting and the Conference networks, the ACC is shuffled off to lesser broadcast and or internet only. Playing Big Ten teams would open the exposure significantly more than playing the SEC that competes in the same market with most of the ACC.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
UT doesn't have a problem selling 102K seats in their home stadium even when they are horrible, and I have to believe they won't continue to be horrible for the next 3 years. Not to mention there are quite a few GT-UT fans. I would expect not only a sellout but resale value on tickets to triple or quadruple in price.

How could they? They bring in 52 new commits every year. Eventually they're going to turn it around.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I disagree .....not having the degree diversity makes it all the more important to fight nationally for top student athletes interested in the majors Tech offers......WRT to TV......with regional broadcasting and the Conference networks, the ACC is shuffled off to lesser broadcast and or internet only. Playing Big Ten teams would open the exposure significantly more than playing the SEC that competes in the same market with most of the ACC.

Business admin is pretty much the only major the vast majority of our players will be "attracted to." And as Techster referred to. It is very difficult to recruit kids more than a state or two away from your home state. The further out you go....the more difficult it becomes. Our pool of potential recruits live primarily in the south...period.

Animal02

Banned
Business admin is pretty much the only major the vast majority of our players will be "attracted to." And as Techster referred to. It is very difficult to recruit kids more than a state or two away from your home state. The further out you go....the more difficult it becomes. Our pool of potential recruits live primarily in the south...period.

That mindset will keep up with the 3 star average perpetually. Yes it is difficult to recruit kids from more than two states away.....that is the challenge that Tech needs to take on if it expects to be competitive on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...should have said "besides UGA".

I think a lot of our attendance problems could be solved with Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, USCe, UF on the schedule. I know we scheduled 'Bama and they backed out (or so that's the story being floated), and we also scheduled Ole Miss and that was put off until later this decade, but a helping of an SEC team along with UGA on our schedule would make those season tickets a much more attractive package.
I doubt we make a habit of scheduling OOC games where we are the decided underdog.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we make a habit of scheduling OOC games where we are the decided underdog.

The OOC (besides UGA) scheduling model has been one sub FBS team (Wofford, Elon), one lower tier FBS team (Tulane, MTSU), and one Power 5 or "name" independant (BYU, Miss St, Vandy).

Scheduling is just about timing. When we played Miss State and Vandy, they were down and didn't have the coaches that put them on the map (Mullen, Franklin), but we caught BYU with Bronco Mendenhall and he kicked our butt. If we had played the Tennessee of the past few seasons (especially under Dooley) we probably kick their tails. UT in 2017 could be a juggernaut with the talent they're collecting.

We scheduled Auburn, Notre Dame, BYU (I believe AU and ND were nationally ranked at the time) during the Gailey years and the Auburn and Notre Dame game at BDS were some of the best games any of us ever attended in terms of atmosphere and attendance.

If GT is scared to schedule really good OOC teams, we shouldn't be in the football business. I don't think that's the case because we signed up for Alabama and Ole Miss (before they backed out).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The OOC (besides UGA) scheduling model has been one sub FBS team (Wofford, Elon), one lower tier FBS team (Tulane, MTSU), and one Power 5 or "name" independant (BYU, Miss St, Vandy).

Scheduling is just about timing. When we played Miss State and Vandy, they were down and didn't have the coaches that put them on the map (Mullen, Franklin), but we caught BYU with Bronco Mendenhall and he kicked our butt. If we had played the Tennessee of the past few seasons (especially under Dooley) we probably kick their tails. UT in 2017 could be a juggernaut with the talent they're collecting.

We scheduled Auburn, Notre Dame, BYU (I believe AU and ND were nationally ranked at the time) during the Gailey years and the Auburn and Notre Dame game at BDS were some of the best games any of us ever attended in terms of atmosphere and attendance.

If GT is scared to schedule really good OOC teams, we shouldn't be in the football business. I don't think that's the case because we signed up for Alabama and Ole Miss (before they backed out).
We already play a perennial top 5 - 10 OOC every year in UGA. We play perennial top 15 teams, Clemson and VT as well. The defending National Champion FSU rotates onto the schedule as well. ND will be rotating on as well. Miami and UNC have recruit very well and have loaded rosters every year and could/should produce really good teams. All this weak schedule crap is just that, crap.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We already play a perennial top 5 - 10 OOC every year in UGA. We play perennial top 15 teams, Clemson and VT as well. The defending National Champion FSU rotates onto the schedule as well. ND will be rotating on as well. Miami and UNC have recruit very well and have loaded rosters every year and could/should produce really good teams. All this weak schedule crap is just that, crap.

UGA is a given.

Every other team you named is in conference or will be in conference. No one is saying we have a weak schedule so you'll have to put aside your butthurt every time someone says something that isn't favorable to GT. We're talking about teams we would like to see on the schedule. Sorry, not buying having to play certain in conference games as an excuse for not playing a stronger OOC schedule with teams from the SEC (hence the title of the thread)...and from the looks of our season ticket sales and attendance, neither is a lot of fans.