2017 vs Tenn.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Animal
Hmmm....where is that rolling eyes emoji? I'm not saying we should reject kids from outside the south. Get the best ones you can wherever they may be. Here is the rub though. There is only so much time our coaches can devote to recruiting and travelling. We, and every other team out there, have to manage our time and resources to get the most return possible. The further out we cast our net the less we are able to focus on the areas with higher numbers of potential recruits. I wish we could generate legitimate interest from top prospects in every damn state and Samoa too. We are not Notre Dame or Stanford though. Are not held in the same light, warranted or not, as those two programs. If we can mange to become a dominant program that might change. But it simply is not the case currently no matter how much we might wish it to be.

Now having said that I think there are some things we might be able to do to cast our net wider within reason. Targeting private schools outside of our region might allow us to target high talent players who value education more than the average athlete out there. Hiring more staff for recruiting would sure help as well. That would take some of the burden off our coaches and possibly allow them to focus recruiting time more effectively.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As others have posted, decreased attendance is not just a Tech issue.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ichigan-wolverines-football-tickets-available

GT will never sell out every game...however, attendance is MUCH better when we play better teams. That's why we want the league to help us put Clemson at home on years we don't play UGA at home to "balance" our scheduling.

That's why season ticket sales are down the years UGA and Clemson aren't played here. You put a team like Auburn or Florida or USCe or when ND comes to town on years we don't have UGA and Clemson then season ticket sales will go up. Amazing how people pay to watch a better teams...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT will never sell out every game...however, attendance is MUCH better when we play better teams. That's why we want the league to help us put Clemson at home on years we don't play UGA at home to "balance" our scheduling.

That's why season ticket sales are down the years UGA and Clemson aren't played here. You put a team like Auburn or Florida or USCe or when ND comes to town on years we don't have UGA and Clemson then season ticket sales will go up. Amazing how people pay to watch a better teams...
Are you aware that we play either Clemson or Georgia at home each year?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The attendance for Ole Miss - Boise tonight is a joke. Poorly planned....

Boise isn't the Boise of a few years ago. They also just lost their head coach who put them on the map...he's at Washington now. Then you have Ole Miss. How big is Ole Miss's fanbase outside of Mississippi? They've got a lot of potential with their last two recruiting classes, but no one really cares about Ole Miss outside of Ole Miss fans. How many fans is Boise going to bring in?

You're right...it was poorly planned. If you're going to bring in a team like Boise, you also have to have a marquee Southeastern team like Alabama, Clemson, Auburn...teams who have rabid fanbases that travel. Alabama vs WVU this weekend is going to be a sellout plus some because both fanbases are crazy about football. The people that organize this game are starting to dilute the product with multiple games over one weekend.

When we play in 2017 versus UT, there's suppose to be 3 games that weekend! Good thing it's a game that has a school in it's footprint epicenter (GT) and a school with a huge fanbase in Atlanta and travels well (UT). I for one am looking forward to it.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Boise isn't the Boise of a few years ago. They also just lost their head coach who put them on the map...he's at Washington now. Then you have Ole Miss. How big is Ole Miss's fanbase outside of Mississippi? They've got a lot of potential with their last two recruiting classes, but no one really cares about Ole Miss outside of Ole Miss fans. How many fans is Boise going to bring in?

You're right...it was poorly planned. If you're going to bring in a team like Boise, you also have to have a marquee Southeastern team like Alabama, Clemson, Auburn...teams who have rabid fanbases that travel. Alabama vs WVU this weekend is going to be a sellout plus some because both fanbases are crazy about football. The people that organize this game are starting to dilute the product with multiple games over one weekend.

When we play in 2017 versus UT, there's suppose to be 3 games that weekend! Good thing it's a game that has a school in it's footprint epicenter (GT) and a school with a huge fanbase in Atlanta and travels well (UT). I for one am looking forward to it.

Agree, three games is overkill, and to top it off we are slotted to play on Monday night in 2017. Much rather have the Thursday or ideally Saturday game. By the time Monday night rolls around I'm ready for the Lazy-Boy and one last cold one to ease into the work week.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Business admin is pretty much the only major the vast majority of our players will be "attracted to." And as Techster referred to. It is very difficult to recruit kids more than a state or two away from your home state. The further out you go....the more difficult it becomes. Our pool of potential recruits live primarily in the south...period.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were going to be the first game in the new stadium, but just saw on SEC network that it is going to be fsu vs Bama

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...should have said "besides UGA".

I think a lot of our attendance problems could be solved with Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, USCe, UF on the schedule. I know we scheduled 'Bama and they backed out (or so that's the story being floated), and we also scheduled Ole Miss and that was put off until later this decade, but a helping of an SEC team along with UGA on our schedule would make those season tickets a much more attractive package.

In the early 80's, we played Auburn, Bama, UT and UGA. The toughest SEC schedule. I loved it. And the stands were packed!

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In the early 80's, we played Auburn, Bama, UT and UGA. The toughest SEC schedule. I loved it. And the stands were packed!

Methinks your memory is selective. Those teams would bring tons of fans and easily equal or outnumber the Tech crowd. But even then a sellout (except UGA) was rare.

You are also forgetting gems like 17k in a 58k stadium to watch Tech lose to Navy. Good times those early 80s

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
@Animal
Hmmm....where is that rolling eyes emoji? I'm not saying we should reject kids from outside the south. Get the best ones you can wherever they may be. Here is the rub though. There is only so much time our coaches can devote to recruiting and travelling. We, and every other team out there, have to manage our time and resources to get the most return possible. The further out we cast our net the less we are able to focus on the areas with higher numbers of potential recruits. I wish we could generate legitimate interest from top prospects in every damn state and Samoa too. We are not Notre Dame or Stanford though. Are not held in the same light, warranted or not, as those two programs. If we can mange to become a dominant program that might change. But it simply is not the case currently no matter how much we might wish it to be.

Now having said that I think there are some things we might be able to do to cast our net wider within reason. Targeting private schools outside of our region might allow us to target high talent players who value education more than the average athlete out there. Hiring more staff for recruiting would sure help as well. That would take some of the burden off our coaches and possibly allow them to focus recruiting time more effectively.
Recruitig nation wide sarts w one step.
We have moved into South La w four recriuts.

NEXT we should try houston and dallas over next few years as suburban schools are good and have plenty of talent. #6 U of Houston has 3/4 of their team within 25 miles. No I am not saying they could get into gt. I am saying in houston and in dallas there are kids that are talanted and smart who would come. Only need to scout them, call coach, send a grad assistant to give it eye test and see if interested. If yes then go recruit. We can recruit the major cities and skip the country area that are hard to reach.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Methinks your memory is selective. Those teams would bring tons of fans and easily equal or outnumber the Tech crowd. But even then a sellout (except UGA) was rare.

You are also forgetting gems like 17k in a 58k stadium to watch Tech lose to Navy. Good times those early 80s

But the benefit was you could run on the track any time but game time. And throw the frisbee on the field except when it was in use.

That had to be the worst surface ever to play on. It was as hard to run on as a street. The only harder thing I have ever run on is an aircraft carrier deck.

But you are right about selective memory. We were so bad it took years to shake off the apathy. I still have to shake my head at Pepper Rogers and his antics ... something I remember about exercizing with cheerleaders or yoga or something ridiculous (and embarrassing).

Give me today any day.