2017 Spring Practice

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree with almost all of that. I think there is something to the starting slow thing that is a constant with our teams even in openers where we've scored at will against inferior defenses. Execution is extremely dependent on precision. It's more than knowing what to do, it's knowing what everybody else is doing and how they do it, in time and space and at full speed. The only way to get that is by live game reps. It helps to have a lot of returning players with lots of game reps, but the qb will not be one of them. Even with past reps, a lot of timing is lost with the layoff and as you say, it's a new team and they have to learn each other.

We are so dependent upon precise reads and blocking the right guy that it seems to take a couple of weeks to get the timing down. Maybe there is some truth to that old adage: "When the leaves are turning, the option starts churning." The footwork and choreography between the quarterback, Bback, and Abacks are so intricate, hell they might as well be on "Dancing with the Stars." My wife loves that show.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are so dependent upon precise reads and blocking the right guy that it seems to take a couple of weeks to get the timing down. Maybe there is some truth to that old adage: "When the leaves are turning, the option starts churning." The footwork and choreography between the quarterback, Bback, and Abacks are so intricate, hell they might as well be on "Dancing with the Stars." My wife loves that show.

All the more reason it is important to have the power running game element ready to go. With our OL and (maybe) MJ and DM, we may not have to depend entirely on precision. Hopefully we can blow some people off the line and count on 4pyc.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
All the more reason it is important to have the power running game element ready to go. With our OL and (maybe) MJ and DM, we may not have to depend entirely on precision. Hopefully we can blow some people off the line and count on 4pyc.

Ya, the zone / belly / trap / midline is less complex. My 8th grade team ran it as purely check-with-me. Would have been pretty unstoppable with MJ and Mills.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dang. Would have enjoyed seeing all four, then watching folks argue about which one is Vad Lee.

With a great OL and BBs, all we need is JN 2.0. Ground and pound. Very boring and disheartening for non-GT fans. But will usually result in more points than the other team.

Ask UGAg about the wisdom of passing when the running game is working. Actually, don't waste your time.