2017 Recruiting Rankings

65Jacket

GT Athlete
No excuse for such a fall in our recruiting. We spend too much time in East Cobb for the success we achieve there. We need to spread our base.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Normally, I'd say "who cares"... these rankings are based more on the unknown than the known. However, it does seem to reinforce rather than contradict the declining trend over the last (more than) a few seasons. I am curious for anyone who's more informed than I... how does this class of 2017 for Tech stack up? If we're not top 25.... where are we? How bad is it? I've done no digging... perhaps I could figure it out. Other notables (in my mind) not in the top 25... UNC and NC State.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Normally, I'd say "who cares"... these rankings are based more on the unknown than the known. However, it does seem to reinforce rather than contradict the declining trend over the last (more than) a few seasons. I am curious for anyone who's more informed than I... how does this class of 2017 for Tech stack up? If we're not top 25.... where are we? How bad is it? I've done no digging... perhaps I could figure it out. Other notables (in my mind) not in the top 25... UNC and NC State.
My opinion of the 2017 recruiting class : The beginning of the end.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PG has our 2017 class at 16th. And our 2018 class is 22nd. https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

But the rankings that way are a bit deceiving as they are based on total points and the number of total points for the top 5 schools are a lot more than the rest. So we are in the middle of the pack of above average recruiting but not elite. We should make the NCAAs every year though based on talent ......... if the rankings are indicative of future performance.

My bigger concern is that we have only 3 pitchers coming in 2017; none of whom were drafted. Our hitting and defense should be passable (tic) ....... https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1628&g=2017

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Why do pitchers not want to come here. Could it be all the arm problems we have, or the fact that our pitchers never improve at throwing strikes?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Don't know enough to agree or disagree. Just wondering why this seems to happen to GT so much more than to other major programs?
Possible causes:
1.They were over pitched before they got here
2. Our pitching coach messes them up
3. The academics mess with their arms;)
4. Bad luck

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From Baseball Collegiate Newspaper: The Vanderbilt coach:
“It is the first time in years we were able to keep our entire draft class intact,” said Vanderbilt Associate Head Coach/Pitching Coach Scott Brown.

“You never believe that you will land every single player you went after, but this is what happened with this class,” said Brown.

“We have a collection of big bodied pitchers with live arms.”

Every single pitcher throws in the low 90s to 98 mph with their fastballs and are huge physical specimens."

Why do pitchers not want to come here. Could it be all the arm problems we have, or the fact that our pitchers never improve at throwing strikes?

2017 is low for the number of pitchers we got. So it probably isn't right to say they don't want to come. Of course I agree 100% that they don't perform as ranked due to ........ well we've had long discussions about that. In any event, the 2108 class has 12 total and 6 are pitchers. 5 of 13 in the 2016 class were pitchers. 9 of 17 in the 2015 class were pitchers. So Hall is recruiting plenty of pitchers. It's just they mostly don't work out. And they don't all start off as the low 90s to 98 mph fastballs like Vandy. We wouldn't stand much of a chance against Vandy in a 5 game series.

But trying to be positive, the three 2017 pitchers we have and their rankings by Perfect Game:
Brant Hurter LHP, 23 LHP in nation and 2nd in Ga
Hugh Chapman RHP, 156 RHP in nation and 4 in Ga
Jake Brace RHP, 314 RHP in nation and 17 in Ga.

Seems we should be doing better in Ga. Sorry but I've developed an allergy to the Kool-Aid.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't know enough to agree or disagree. Just wondering why this seems to happen to GT so much more than to other major programs?

Do we "know"... based on data, this happens more at Tech than other programs? Just because it feels like it does... doesn't make it true. It's very hard to get good data to back up this claim. I know I FEEL like it's true. But is it really?

Possible causes:
1.They were over pitched before they got here
2. Our pitching coach messes them up
3. The academics mess with their arms;)
4. Bad luck

I like #3. But again & seriously... how do we KNOW what is root cause of the "perceived" (see above) problem?

As emotionally invested baseball fans, we want an explanation. Is there one?

How cool would it be... for it to be mostly #4. That's easy to fix. It's called the DUE FACTOR!!! Come on 2018!!!