2017 OL

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, I just finished watching the last 3 games of the season, concentrating on the OL. What are your guys thoughts on the OL moving forward. I'm of the opinion that it's probably the single most important unit on the squad, year in and year out.

I think we know what GT has in Braun and Bryan. They'll be one of the better sets of guards in the country next year. Braun is technical, and quick, and gets where he's supposed to be, when he's supposed to be there. Bryan, if the NFL doesn't come calling, might have a future in the UFC. The kid is an absolute fist fighter at the point of attack. Mean, nasty, tough, aggressive. When I'm watching the offensive line, most of the time I don't even watch RG, because I just assume I know what's going to happen, and 90% of the time, it does.

At center, cooper is a more athletic, but less experienced version of Burden. I think there's a mild dropoff at this point, but certainly it won't be a "problem" spot. It's possible that with a year of S/C and experience, you guys are about the same next year. Regardless, between him and the guards, I expect you to be nothing worse than "good" across the middle, and maybe "great".

Tackles are the question marks.
I fully expect Lee to start at one tackle. He's SPECTACULAR in space. He redirects like a tight end, he's got good balance, and he HITS opposing LB's and Safeties, as opposed to just screening them (and potentially getting run around). Problem is, he can get stood up at the point of attack, and prevented from making it to the 2nd level. Perhaps with a year in the program, he'll get bigger/stronger, but at the moment, it's a little bit of a concern with the sausage king leaving.

At the other spot....glock and marshall is a battle. They pretty much alternated series' in the bowl game, and it was obvious what their strenghths and weaknesses are. Marshall is sort of like Lee, in that he's good in space (although not as good as lee), but a little bit light in the pants (although not as much as lee). Klock is the opposite, he's more physical, but he sometimes whiffs in space. Klock is a year younger, so maybe he has more room to grow, but I'd bet on Marshall winning the job.

And, the big (see what i did there) question mark: Shamire Devine. He's the polar opposite of Lee. He's devastating at the point of attack, but REALLY struggles when asked to move. Frankly, I don't see him beating out Braun or Bryan. He's your 3rd guard to me, and it's sort of not close.

@flea77 ? @Boomergump @Longestday ?

Thoughts?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
So, I just finished watching the last 3 games of the season, concentrating on the OL. What are your guys thoughts on the OL moving forward. I'm of the opinion that it's probably the single most important unit on the squad, year in and year out.

I think we know what GT has in Braun and Bryan. They'll be one of the better sets of guards in the country next year. Braun is technical, and quick, and gets where he's supposed to be, when he's supposed to be there. Bryan, if the NFL doesn't come calling, might have a future in the UFC. The kid is an absolute fist fighter at the point of attack. Mean, nasty, tough, aggressive. When I'm watching the offensive line, most of the time I don't even watch RG, because I just assume I know what's going to happen, and 90% of the time, it does.

At center, cooper is a more athletic, but less experienced version of Burden. I think there's a mild dropoff at this point, but certainly it won't be a "problem" spot. It's possible that with a year of S/C and experience, you guys are about the same next year. Regardless, between him and the guards, I expect you to be nothing worse than "good" across the middle, and maybe "great".

Tackles are the question marks.
I fully expect Lee to start at one tackle. He's SPECTACULAR in space. He redirects like a tight end, he's got good balance, and he HITS opposing LB's and Safeties, as opposed to just screening them (and potentially getting run around). Problem is, he can get stood up at the point of attack, and prevented from making it to the 2nd level. Perhaps with a year in the program, he'll get bigger/stronger, but at the moment, it's a little bit of a concern with the sausage king leaving.

At the other spot....glock and marshall is a battle. They pretty much alternated series' in the bowl game, and it was obvious what their strenghths and weaknesses are. Marshall is sort of like Lee, in that he's good in space (although not as good as lee), but a little bit light in the pants (although not as much as lee). Klock is the opposite, he's more physical, but he sometimes whiffs in space. Klock is a year younger, so maybe he has more room to grow, but I'd bet on Marshall winning the job.

And, the big (see what i did there) question mark: Shamire Devine. He's the polar opposite of Lee. He's devastating at the point of attack, but REALLY struggles when asked to move. Frankly, I don't see him beating out Braun or Bryan. He's your 3rd guard to me, and it's sort of not close.

@flea77 ? @Boomergump @Longestday ?

Thoughts?
Agree except IMO Marshall will spell both sides at OT and be the emergency backup at center, with LEE LT and Klock RT. Since Cooper will need a backup in 2018 I believe we should start working with an incoming frosh center who can RS and be ready as a backup as a RS frosh in 2018.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Agree except IMO Marshall will spell both sides at OT and be the emergency backup at center, with LEE LT and Klock RT. Since Cooper will need a backup in 2018 I believe we should start working with an incoming frosh center who can RS and be ready as a backup as a RS frosh in 2018.

I would think Minihan as the next center behind Cooper but all incoming OL will work from C out.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would think Minihan as the next center behind Cooper but all incoming OL will work from C out.
I doubt they all work from center out, Zach is a tackle, minihan is probably a center or guard, same with Charlie Clark and Connor Hansen. But I sought they all start at center.

Deleted member 2897

Connor Hansen is one of our commits and is the #13 ranked Center in the country. (He also plays DT.) He's a beast at 6'2", 325 lbs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Shamire has an excellent chance to win his starting position back. The reason is simple: we'll be a QB/BB offense next year and we'll need our best road graders at OG. Personally, I think Will will be back at OT by the end of spring practice; I still think that's his natural position and he would be an upgrade over Marshall or Klock, imho.

But that's what they pay Coach for. We'll see soon enough.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The OP covered the topic well.

T - Lee SO
G - Braun SO / RS SO Scott?Brad
C - Cooper SO / RS SO Scott?Brad
G - Bryan JR /DeVine RS SR
T - Marshall SR /Klock RS JR

I am interested to see the Morgan twins as well. I thought they showed some good potential in last years spring game.

Lee is very interesting. I like how he plays the tackle position. If he see he will miss his intended target he hits the nearest person. He also fights! off the "pinches" or disruption to the release to the LB.

This is an exciting OL. But each year is it own year and depends on many factors including effort during the break, school, leadership, and life in general.

MJ's style will really highlight the OL. The MLB is going to have to scrape down versus head to the outside or MJ is going to turn up. Scraping down will help the tackle hit the MLB.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
All this focus by the Defense on btwn the tackles because of the MJ and Mills threat is going to make outside pitches etc so freaking wide open

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
All this focus by the Defense on btwn the tackles because of the MJ and Mills threat is going to make outside pitches etc so freaking wide open

giphy.gif