2017-2018 GT Hoops Schedule

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's what we know so far:
  • UCLA in China
  • Tennessee at home
  • Should, in theory, play our ACC/B1G Challenge game at home after Penn State on road last year
  • UGA & Wofford on the road
  • Expecting quite a bit of buy game filler, given the above 5 OOC games
  • Can't remember if it was in this week's AJC interview series, but I've heard from a really good source that we're not playing a preseason tourney because the team will be in China for a week and then adjusting from return travel.
A reminder that Todd Stansbury mentioned on the "Toddcast" that they'll be doing GT hoops season ticket sales early this year (next few weeks, if I remember right) to capitalize on the good vibes of this season.

Personally, depending on how recruiting finishes, I'd like to at least see another NIT run next year, potentially the tournament. I do think we should be careful with expectations for next year and getting exasperated as we have our ups & downs. We've got some great building blocks from this past season, but we'll be incredibly young overall, but especially at PG.

Looking forward to finishing the 2017 class, tracking this summer's recruiting, & kicking off next season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean by "buy game filler"?
I am expecting a little better OOC schedule than last year - not hugely better but some improvement in NCAA tourney eyes.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Here's what we know so far:
  • UCLA in China
  • Tennessee at home
  • Should, in theory, play our ACC/B1G Challenge game at home after Penn State on road last year
  • UGA & Wofford on the road
  • Expecting quite a bit of buy game filler, given the above 5 OOC games
  • Can't remember if it was in this week's AJC interview series, but I've heard from a really good source that we're not playing a preseason tourney because the team will be in China for a week and then adjusting from return travel.
A reminder that Todd Stansbury mentioned on the "Toddcast" that they'll be doing GT hoops season ticket sales early this year (next few weeks, if I remember right) to capitalize on the good vibes of this season.

Personally, depending on how recruiting finishes, I'd like to at least see another NIT run next year, potentially the tournament. I do think we should be careful with expectations for next year and getting exasperated as we have our ups & downs. We've got some great building blocks from this past season, but we'll be incredibly young overall, but especially at PG.

Looking forward to finishing the 2017 class, tracking this summer's recruiting, & kicking off next season.
I think GT wins 20 games and makes the NCAA Tournament

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What do you mean by "buy game filler"?
I am expecting a little better OOC schedule than last year - not hugely better but some improvement in NCAA tourney eyes.

Maybe we add a solid mid major home game or two, but with 18 ACC games and, at most, 12 OOC games, we've got a likely top 25 Pac12 neutral, SEC road, SEC home, road game with a typically good LM/MM, and a B1G TBD. It's actually pretty solid, but we probably need over 20 wins to make the NCAAs.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If we play in an exempt holiday tourney, we can schedule 27 total games. The ACC is 18. Tennessee, UCLA, UGA, Wofford and ACC-B1G Challenge are another 5. That leaves 4 pay-for-pummel opponents plus a holiday exempt. Or 6 directional schools and no exempt tourney.

Given the gauntlet of the ACC plus four P5 non-conf tilts already on the schedule, I think the remaining 4 - 6 non conf games will be pretty weak opponents. It's still a strong schedule given UCLA, UT, UGA & B1G to be named.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we play in an exempt holiday tourney, we can schedule 27 total games. The ACC is 18. Tennessee, UCLA, UGA, Wofford and ACC-B1G Challenge are another 5. That leaves 4 pay-for-pummel opponents plus a holiday exempt. Or 6 directional schools and no exempt tourney.

Given the gauntlet of the ACC plus four P5 non-conf tilts already on the schedule, I think the remaining 4 - 6 non conf games will be pretty weak opponents. It's still a strong schedule given UCLA, UT, UGA & B1G to be named.

Co-sign.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Side note - GT hoops season tickets & season ticket renewals began this afternoon.

Renewing mine now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I went ahead and splurged for the season tix this year for the firs time in a number of years.....even though I know we will probably only attend maybe half the games. I'll probably be selling the remainder but wanted to have access...hope I am not too optimistic about the Pastner regime. I recognize it could still succeed or fail.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Details on the our trip to China. It's behind AJC paywall, but it's the beginning of the month so everyone should be able to read for free unless you've read 4 pay articles already:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...georgia-tech-shanghai/MxyuLU3QsQdbojYYHQmwjL/

Sounds like Pastner isn't 100% enthused about this trip. Funny since he tends to be positive about everything...but I guess 17+ hours on a plane is 17+ hours less recruiting he can do.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Renewed my tix, though I had to give up my seats on the floor. :( Was great sitting down there and talking to players and refs, but I just couldn't justify the cost for another year. Still have my other seats and look forward to another year of watching the team come together and improve.