2016 Summer Ball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the listing from Beesball.com of all our players in summer ball:
http://beesball.com/wordpress/?p=11610#comment-38295

Beesball also tweets regularly about how they are doing. I like to follow too later in the season on BaseballCube with their stats. But after last summer where many players did a lot better back at GT than they did in the summer, I don't put as much emphasis on summer ball is trying to guess how the players will do at GT. We talked about this a bit last year https://gtswarm.com/threads/baseball-pre-season-practice.9052/#post-204192

PS Support Beesball if you can, the site does provide a convenient service for the limited number of GT baseball fans out there.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Coastal Plain League
  • RHP Jared Datoc retired all six batters he faced to nail down his first save as Morehead City beat Peninsula 8-6. His line: (S,1) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO.
Sunbelt Baseball League
  • 1B Coleman Poje (.429) went 1-for-4 with a walk and two strikeouts.
Valley Baseball League
  • 3B Trevor Craport (.389) went 1-for-4 with a double.
Cape Cod Baseball League
  • DH Kel Johnson (.250) went 2-for-4 with a grand slam home run (1), an RBI single, and a walk. See story.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
June 21, 2016 action
New England Collegiate Baseball League
  • CF Brandt Stallings (.200) was 0-for-5 with three strikeouts.
Valley Baseball League
  • 3B Trevor Craport (.333) went 0-for-3 with a bases-loaded walk and a strikeout.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
June 24, 2016 action
Cape Cod Baseball League
  • C Joey Bart (.143) went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a strikeout.
  • DH Kel Johnson (.167) was 0-for-3 including a strikeout.
New England Collegiate Baseball League
  • CF Brandt Stallings (.205) was 2-for-5 with an RBI ground out and two strikeouts.
Sunbelt Baseball League
  • LF Ryan Peurifoy (.179) was 1-for-4 with an RBI double and a strikeout.
Valley Baseball League
  • 3B Trevor Craport (.353) went 1-for-3 with a two-run double, a walk, and two strikeouts.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
June 27, 2016 action
Sunbelt Baseball League
  • LF Ryan Peurifoy (.156) went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
  • DH Coleman Poje (.313) collected a solo home run (3), a walk, an HBP, and a stolen base in three trips to the the plate.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Most of our guys are having a tough time of it in Summer ball. The pitchers can't pitch and the hitters can't hit. Kel mostly strikes out, and Bailey and Dulany apparently are not playing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most of our guys are having a tough time of it in Summer ball. The pitchers can't pitch and the hitters can't hit. Kel mostly strikes out, and Bailey and Dulany apparently are not playing.

This is what happened last year. The batting average was way down. But we were ok this year hitting.

I'm fine with the pitchers not pitching this summer. Rest the arms to get stronger. They work hard enough the rest of the year.

I'll wait till the end of the summer season and then look at all the stats, but as I said they weren't predictive last year. The guys just need to chill and have a good summer. No one can keep the physical intensity up all year round. Or at least not effectively.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Bart has stepped up his hitting and is now up to .353 in the toughest league, the Cape Cod. Craport is doing over .320 in a lower league.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
East Cobb Yankees are playing in the Connie Mack World Series again this year. The beat the Midland Redskins last night in the opening round by a walkoff 3 run HR from Xzavion Curry. East Cobb has at least 8-12 GT recruits on the team. Midland also has 2 (2016 Chase Murray and 2017 Luke Waddell). Curry started on the mound for EC and Nick Wilhite got the win after coming in during the 7th. http://www.daily-times.com/story/sp...alks-off-against-midland-6-3-game-6/87831390/

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
East Cobb Yankees are playing in the Connie Mack World Series again this year. The beat the Midland Redskins last night in the opening round by a walkoff 3 run HR from Xzavion Curry. East Cobb has at least 8-12 GT recruits on the team. Midland also has 2 (2016 Chase Murray and 2017 Luke Waddell). Curry started on the mound for EC and Nick Wilhite got the win after coming in during the 7th. http://www.daily-times.com/story/sp...alks-off-against-midland-6-3-game-6/87831390/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did Bailey play at all this Summer?

Don't think so .... no stats this summer but had summer stats last year. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=wade-bailey

We didn't hit well last year in summer ball except for Craport ( http://www.beesball.com/summer2015.html ) and our hitting was ok last year in the ACC. We had a lot fewer kids in summer ball this year.

I don't know that summer ball is worth it ... maybe someone who has done it can comment. Better for the experience and enjoyment or better for developing your game? I'd think the former.

baseballdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey there, have a question about the rules pertaining to catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!