2015 Home Opener

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
To go along with all of my excitement for next year I was looking at the Together We Swarm site and noticed that the home opener for next year is against Alcorn State and will take place on Thursday Septemeber 3rd. While I'm not really against the occasional Thursday night game as I do like the tv exposure and the attention it draws to the program, why in the world would we schedule Alcorn State on a Thursday. It's going to be hard enough to get fans out to see us play this team to begin with, but when you couple it with it being on a Thursday I just can't imagine the attendance will break any kind of records if you know what I mean.

With all of that said, I'll still be there cheering on the Jackets but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Chillin', my first take too was what is this weirdness about? In addition to the other points, someone said it allows you to start fall practice earlier. And you have a little extra time to prepare for your second opponent. I guess it's no biggee.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I personally enjoy Thursday night games and will probably be attending. And, most CFB fans will be so hungry for football by that point, they'll want to tune in just because it's the first available college football game of the year. Same goes for local media attention.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The AA must have gotten tired of competing with this for Tech students' attention the first week:

dragoncon2010main580kvret.jpg

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Choice:

A) Mid-day game in early September against FCS team (punishing sun & sweltering heat).

B) Thursday evening game in early September against FCS team (get home late & gotta work next day).

Give me "B" every time.

Change the opponent or for later in the year - generally I would rather play on Saturday.

Since this frees up Dracon Con weekend, my 5th year daughter will be very happy. An additional big plus; I will be able to overdose on CFB on Saturday 9/5 after doing without for nearly eight months.

Brothers and sisters, it is 224 days until gameday!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We'll be in the Top 20 - wouldn't be surprised if we end up on TV. Won't be the big game regardless.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
After the season we just enjoyed.....I think most Tech fans will be happy to come out and see us play against any team. Hell, I'm pumped about returning for the spring game.....If the weather is even decent this year for it I think the crowd will near a game day crowd. We shall see.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
After the season we just enjoyed.....I think most Tech fans will be happy to come out and see us play against any team. Hell, I'm pumped about returning for the spring game.....If the weather is even decent this year for it I think the crowd will near a game day crowd. We shall see.

Woah. Slow down there on expecting nearly 45+k for the spring game. I know weather has been what killed it the last couple of years, but lets see if we can get the lower bowl near full before we start talking about a "near game day crowd." In any event, I will be there : )

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I would imagine that since its on a Thursday it might be televised on espnU or foxsports or a smaller channel similar to those. I also think it's a great idea. There are usually good games on opening weekend and if it is on Thursday we'll probably get more people there than we would at noon on a Saturday and we'll definitely get more views if it's on TV, which it definitely wouldn't be on if it was Saturday at noon.