2015 Draftees

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Since the 2014 NFL draft is in the books, who do you all think has a chance to get drafted next year?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
DeAndre Smelter (if he builds off of last season)
Isaiah Johnson (if he stays healthy)
Jamal Golden (if he stays healthy as well)
Shaq Mason (doesn't need to do anything but play)
Adam Gotsis (could come out, but thing he'd go even higher if he stays)
Darren Waller (could be a workout warrior that improves his stock much like Stephen Hill)
Quayshawn Nealy (has taken well to the 4-3, a strong season will get him some looks)

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I'm really high on Smelter. I say he goes at least early 2nd round. He is a stud and the limited passes within our offensive scheme have not shown how good he really is imo.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Smelter I think will be a mid round guy. Nealy could be and early-mid guy if he plays like he did during the spring. Shaq would be a nice mid-late guy. Golden and Gotsis, should they come out, before workouts would probably both be mid-late guys but both could be workout warriors. Isaiah Johnson could also be a good pickup late. Also FWIW, the main guy over at WalterFootball.com still seems to think Jabari Hunt-Days is going to go in the 1st round (as of May 8)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love Golden, but he doesn't have a body of work at DB to be seriously considered as an early entry to the draft. I don't foresee Gotsis leaving early, either, although by the time he's finished here he could make an amazing prospect at 3-4 DE. Don't sell Nealy short. He can play against the run and pass. He could end up as a 2nd rounder with a great season, especially if he's one of only two LBs on the field at a time next year (lots of plays). Smelter could have a Bey-Bey type season next year, and with his size and propensity for devastating blocks, I can see teams hoping he'll be just like DT, and take him late in the first round.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Taking off my gold tinted glasses:

Nealy - if he shows out against other teams like he did during the spring, he could be drafted. Given the freaks at LB these days, Nealy would have to really test well at the combine or pro day to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Brandon Watts is a perfect example of this. I think Nealy is the better overall LB, but Watts has next level measurables in terms of testing and he was taken later in the draft. Nealy is definitely a draft candidate.

Golden - right now he'd be considered a special teamer only as he hasn't shown enough playing in the secondary to be drafted. The NFL rarely drafts players just to play special teams unless they have an elite skillset returning the ball. Those guys usually go very late in the draft if at all. The NFL can put reserves on special teams, so unless Golden proves he can play in the secondary at a high level he'd be an UDFA candidate.

Gotsis - at his rate of development, I can see Gotsis being drafted in the mid rounds. 3-5 rounds is possible for him since he gives position flexibility as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. He's also quick off the ball and very athletic for a DL. Gotsis's best playing days are still ahead of him. NFL loves big guys like Gotsis who has a ton of upside...and given that Gotsis really just started playing the game, that's pretty much the description of him. Needs to get stronger, especially at the point of attack, but you can't deny he can disrupt the QB and bring pressure.

Isaiah Johnson - from the last few years he played before injury, it's hard for me to see him getting drafted. Does not read the game well for a safety, and often took bad angles and doesn't have the speed to catch up once he realizes it. Once defenders got past him, didn't have the recovery speed. Not a great tackler for a safety either. I hope a year watching the game and another year under Roof improves all those things. Right now, he's more likely a NFL camp invite.

Zach Laskey - probably moved to fullback or developed into an H-back on the next level. Great size and speed for NFL fullback and H-back. Does not get negative yardage, but runs kinda high. A great receiver out of the backfield. Can also provide value on special teams. Right now, given that guys like Dwyer and Anthony Allen were both late round picks at the BB position, and given his projection as a fullback or H back at the next level (those guys don't get drafted high), he'd be a late round pick at best but most likely a UDFA.

Shaq Mason - undersized for an NFL guard. NFL guards are usually in the 6'3-6'5 height range and 300+ lbs. His lack of sophistication in pass blocking will hurt him. Probably best in a zone blocking system where they put a premium on guys that can move and get to the next level...usually smaller athletic linemen. If he gets drafted, it'll be a in the later rounds. Most likely an UDFA, and will likely get a chance in someone's camp.

Smelter - Right now, he's more of a 2nd or 3rd receiver in the NFL. Tall big guys like Smelter used to be the exception, but now they're becoming the norm. Needs to show better speed and explosion off the ball. Great hands, and knows how to locate the ball at the highest point to bring it down. Doesn't show the elite physical skillset that BeyBey or Stephen Hill have, so it's hard to see him going high in the draft, but he's definitely a draftable player. Will get dinged for playing in this offense and running an NFL route tree on this level (as both BeyBey and Hill got dinged for). Elite blocker on any level which does mean something to coaches. If he can show more speed, especially at the combine or at pro day he'll definitely improve his grade. Right now, he's more of a round 5-7 round guy.

Waller - inconsistent, but when he's "on", he's very difficult to cover and has shown flashes of being our best WR at times. For a guy blessed with his size and jumping ability, doesn't use those attributes very well. Has deceptive speed, and will probably test pretty well at straight line speeds. Even 4 years later he's more potential than actual production. If he can show the consistency he did the last few games of the 2013 season, he's going to be a draftable player IF he also tests well. Right now, he's a UDFA.

I hope I don't sound too negative about our guys...just being realistic and judging our guys compared to the other draft eligible guys the NFL people will compare them to. We have to look at the draft not in terms of what we see as GT fans, but what NFL people look at compared to the hundreds of other guys at their positions. Out of all the college players available, only something like 200+ players get drafted.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Taking off my gold tinted glasses:

Isaiah Johnson - from the last few years he played before injury, it's hard for me to see him getting drafted. Does not read the game well for a safety, and often took bad angles and doesn't have the speed to catch up once he realizes it. Once defenders got past him, didn't have the recovery speed. Not a great tackler for a safety either. I hope a year watching the game and another year under Roof improves all those things. Right now, he's more likely a NFL camp invite .

Completely agree on IJ. Hope we both get proved wrong this season.

Smelter - Right now, he's more of a 2nd or 3rd receiver in the NFL. Tall big guys like Smelter used to be the exception, but now they're becoming the norm. Needs to show better speed and explosion off the ball. Great hands, and knows how to locate the ball at the highest point to bring it down. Doesn't show the elite physical skillset that BeyBey or Stephen Hill have, so it's hard to see him going high in the draft, but he's definitely a draftable player. Will get dinged for playing in this offense and running an NFL route tree on this level (as both BeyBey and Hill got dinged for). Elite blocker on any level which does mean something to coaches. If he can show more speed, especially at the combine or at pro day he'll definitely improve his grade. Right now, he's more of a round 5-7 round guy.

Smelter may take the same knocks as the DT and SH, but I think DT's rise to dominance will help him. He also seems to naturally catch with his hands, which SH never did and DT only did sometimes. He already looks like a better route runner than either of them. If he can put up 800 yds and 6+ TDs in our system this year, he will be on the radar. I have no idea about his 40 time. One good run (4.4-4.5) and he'll go before the 3rd round is over. He's also got a good backstory, which will draw attention.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Waller: mid-round but has a chance to move up do to his size and teams thinking they can set him straight and develop him.
Smelter: mid-round because he is a solid player and a solid wide receiver.
Mason: Dude is a late round guy but I think he works hard and will make a team.
Nealy: 2nd to 4th round who is another good LB from GT.
I think Gotsis, and Golden stay for Senior year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree on IJ. Hope we both get proved wrong this season.

Smelter may take the same knocks as the DT and SH, but I think DT's rise to dominance will help him. He also seems to naturally catch with his hands, which SH never did and DT only did sometimes. He already looks like a better route runner than either of them. If he can put up 800 yds and 6+ TDs in our system this year, he will be on the radar. I have no idea about his 40 time. One good run (4.4-4.5) and he'll go before the 3rd round is over. He's also got a good backstory, which will draw attention.

I think the only question about Smelter is his speed. WRs drafted in the top 3 rounds are usually burners that can stretch the field as well as make plays after the catch. The ability to actually catch the ball should be a given (it's still a wonder Hill went as high as he did...but good for him).

Smelter is focused 100% on football, so we should see an exponential jump in his playing ability this year. Hopefully our OL can give our QBs time, and our QBs have the ability to get our WRs the ball this year. That's where losing Vad will hurt us a little as he has that chemistry with our WRs and a couple of years experience. We may take a step back in the passing game this year because there's so many variables changing along the OL and QB...even though we may be slightly better running the ball. But for the exercise of seeing where our WRs are drafted, we have to take that into account.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the only question about Smelter is his speed. WRs drafted in the top 3 rounds are usually burners that can stretch the field as well as make plays after the catch. The ability to actually catch the ball should be a given (it's still a wonder Hill went as high as he did...but good for him).

Smelter is focused 100% on football, so we should see an exponential jump in his playing ability this year. Hopefully our OL can give our QBs time, and our QBs have the ability to get our WRs the ball this year. That's where losing Vad will hurt us a little as he has that chemistry with our WRs and a couple of years experience. We may take a step back in the passing game this year because there's so many variables changing along the OL and QB...even though we may be slightly better running the ball. But for the exercise of seeing where our WRs are drafted, we have to take that into account.

Agreed. Still amazing how that 40 time just gets the scouts drooling. Then, once a WR is in the league, it never gets talked about again. Its like a tongue ring on a chick or something. Instantly catches attention and intrigues, but means nothing in terms of overall dateability. Wait... did I just type that? I'm sorry.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Still amazing how that 40 time just gets the scouts drooling. Then, once a WR is in the league, it never gets talked about again. Its like a tongue ring on a chick or something. Instantly catches attention and intrigues, but means nothing in terms of overall dateability. Wait... did I just type that? I'm sorry.

Haha! Sounds like you speak from experience...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess optimism abounds in regards to our future possible draft picks. First of all, I will say this: it is pretty early to be making predictions. Pretty much every one of the guys we have on the list still have stuff to prove and room to grow before they will be considered draft-able by pretty much any team. Still, it is fun to play armchair scout and make some predictions. Progress is being made, so there is room for optimism. I offer these thoughts and or opinions:

1. Smelter - I think he has the potential to play in the league, but at this point in time he is viewed as a project. If the 2015 draft were held tomorrow, he would not be in it. DeAndre needs to learn to run routes consistently. He is physical enough to block and athletic enough to win contested balls. That is true. However, he is not a burner at the college level, let alone NFL. So, he will have to become very good at all the little things FIRST in order to become competitive, and he simply isn't right now. Best case scenario for him is that he develops into an Anquon Boldin type player. Most teams would love a guy like that, but he has a ways to go to reach that level. My best guess at this time, being the optimist that I am, would be like round 7 or UDFA. I feel strongly that he will get a shot though.

2. Mason - He is a really good player in our offense, but the list of teams in the NFL where he fits their prototype is pretty small. IF he shows out this year pass blocking he may have a small chance. At this point I say UDFA. He is a great player for us. I am less sure about the next level.

3. I. Johnson - UDFA

4. Waller - I don't see him drawing much interest. There really isn't a lot there for a scout to get fired up about. He has a long body but no idea how to use it. From the outside looking in, there doesn't appear to be much toughness or fire there. His body language around the field screams immaturity.

5. Gotsis -needs to stay next year. Not a candidate yet for the NFL. He is playing out of position now and is just learning how to play. The encouraging thing is that his progress has been steady and if he keeps that up, 4 years of American college football might be enough. 50/50 he gets drafted in 2016. It all depends on the learning curve. You have to love the guy's motor and desire.

6. Nealy - I think Nealy is a good candidate to make an NFL roster. He is a very good college player who keeps growing. However, when you look at all the measurable things that light up an NFL scouts eyes, he comes up just a little short of WOW. He is maybe a little small, maybe not quite a punishing enough tackler, maybe not quite fast enough etc. However, the sum of all his parts, versatility, and instincts make up a pretty good player. If he gets drafted at all it will be late. Most likely makes a roster from the ranks of UDFA.

7. Laskey - UDFA. I love the kid, but he has a lot to prove. He will not be looked at by NFL people as a guy destined for a lot of carries. If he goes it will be for his blocking and catching. So far in his career, his performance on the former has been well below NFL standards.

8. Golden - needs to stay. Good STs player but has a lot yet to prove on defense. He is a very good athlete and great instincts in the return game. He has a chance. Needs more time.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I guess optimism abounds in regards to our future possible draft picks. First of all, I will say this: it is pretty early to be making predictions. Pretty much every one of the guys we have on the list still have stuff to prove and room to grow before they will be considered draft-able by pretty much any team. Still, it is fun to play armchair scout and make some predictions. Progress is being made, so there is room for optimism. I offer these thoughts and or opinions:

1. Smelter - I think he has the potential to play in the league, but at this point in time he is viewed as a project. If the 2015 draft were held tomorrow, he would not be in it. DeAndre needs to learn to run routes consistently. He is physical enough to block and athletic enough to win contested balls. That is true. However, he is not a burner at the college level, let alone NFL. So, he will have to become very good at all the little things FIRST in order to become competitive, and he simply isn't right now. Best case scenario for him is that he develops into an Anquon Boldin type player. Most teams would love a guy like that, but he has a ways to go to reach that level. My best guess at this time, being the optimist that I am, would be like round 7 or UDFA. I feel strongly that he will get a shot though.

2. Mason - He is a really good player in our offense, but the list of teams in the NFL where he fits their prototype is pretty small. IF he shows out this year pass blocking he may have a small chance. At this point I say UDFA. He is a great player for us. I am less sure about the next level.

3. I. Johnson - UDFA

4. Waller - I don't see him drawing much interest. There really isn't a lot there for a scout to get fired up about. He has a long body but no idea how to use it. From the outside looking in, there doesn't appear to be much toughness or fire there. His body language around the field screams immaturity.

5. Gotsis -needs to stay next year. Not a candidate yet for the NFL. He is playing out of position now and is just learning how to play. The encouraging thing is that his progress has been steady and if he keeps that up, 4 years of American college football might be enough. 50/50 he gets drafted in 2016. It all depends on the learning curve. You have to love the guy's motor and desire.

6. Nealy - I think Nealy is a good candidate to make an NFL roster. He is a very good college player who keeps growing. However, when you look at all the measurable things that light up an NFL scouts eyes, he comes up just a little short of WOW. He is maybe a little small, maybe not quite a punishing enough tackler, maybe not quite fast enough etc. However, the sum of all his parts, versatility, and instincts make up a pretty good player. If he gets drafted at all it will be late. Most likely makes a roster from the ranks of UDFA.

7. Laskey - UDFA. I love the kid, but he has a lot to prove. He will not be looked at by NFL people as a guy destined for a lot of carries. If he goes it will be for his blocking and catching. So far in his career, his performance on the former has been well below NFL standards.

8. Golden - needs to stay. Good STs player but has a lot yet to prove on defense. He is a very good athlete and great instincts in the return game. He has a chance. Needs more time.
This is the most accurate analysis for all of them. And Smelter ran a 4.6 out of high school just so everyone knows. Stephen Hill got drafted in the first round SOLELY because he is 6’4 and ran a 4.36 (2nd fastest in the entire draft).

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The thing that impresses me about Smelter is how physical he can be. He has good hands, but I really like how he gets after the Corners on run plays. If he can improve route running he may get a good look.

A couple guys to keep an eye on for the future IMO... Milton, Noble, Smith. They still have a ways to go, but I am impressed by what I have seen from them.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My guess is:

Draft:
Smelter 5-7 round
Nealy 5-7 round
Shaq Mason 7 round or UDFA

I think Smelter will get drafted unless the QB play is so bad that he doesn't have many opportunities to show his talent.

Guys on Active NFL rosters in 2015:

Smelter
Nealy
Shaq Mason
IJ

WILD Cards:

S. Days
Waller
S Green
Laskey

Waller needs a break out season to show that the light has come on but I have no reason to believe it will happen.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow

Quote of the month. Cracking up.

thwgjacket

I agree with almost everything I've read here. Only issue I have is that I don't think Smelter will get detracted from as much as people think because of the offense. Did it hurt DT and SH? Somewhat but we're still talking about a 1st and 2nd rounder. DT was a first round talent and the offense didn't hurt him enough to drop him out of that round. SH was not a 2nd round receiver, not even close. 2nd round athlete but his hands are terrible. Buddy is a HUGE Jets fan and when they picked him that high I told him it was a waste.

PS. I've got ESPN on and I'm about 90% sure Todd McShay wants to date Sneezy.