2014 uniforms

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think you are 'spot on'. I have been one of the biggest critics of the 'Russell contract era' unis and the reason is because of the Russell design, which has been just silly. Whoever designed them (I think it was a woman) made them look effeminate, quirky, the colors clashed and they just did not look like a football uniform. In their (Russell and the GTAA brain trust at the time 'DRad') rush to be trendy they broke every traditional link (with exception of the helmet GT). For DRad, he was putting 'his 'brand' on Georgia Tech that would contribute to his upwardly mobile career path. For Russell it provided them with a design testing dream and a marketing breakthrough. I think the GTAA at the time knew there would be heavy push back, but thought in time it would calm down and finally fans would accept the 'whatever' attitude that so many young people have today due to their lack of awareness of history and its importance.

The GTAA has refused to say who is responsible for picking the uniform designs or the design requirements contained in the Russell contract. If you ask, as I have, they hem-haw and change the subject. Being a fan of a college football team requires being an Alumni or that team to 'capture your imagination'. Georgia Tech captured mine on September 30, 1961 as a 10 year old sidewalk fan and a big part of that is because they were a legendary football team. They wore White and Gold (Glorious Colors!), they looked like Football Players in their Football Uniforms, not clown suits.
Tell it all Brudda !

Mack

Helluva Engineer
And BLUE IS OUR COLOR ??? Like you, I prefer white jerseys and gold pants, gold jerseys with white pants, maybe all white, but not all gold. And I much prefer the metallic gold helmets, although with the gold jerseys, the white helmets probably look better. I wouldn't be much of a fan of black jerseys, although those worn by the Black Watch teams looked great, but I just don't like blue at all, either for trim, numerals, or jerseys.
Do not like the black either but folks forget that Dodd used them in 62d vs Auburn and they looked okay but not as good as the white.If they were to wear blue they should wear white pants...blue and gold not that cool......let ND wear them if they want to but lets stick to traditional white and gold.........guys the fight song is"Up with the white and gold" I think not up with chicken wire and slashes and pinstripes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And BLUE IS OUR COLOR ??? Like you, I prefer white jerseys and gold pants, gold jerseys with white pants, maybe all white, but not all gold. And I much prefer the metallic gold helmets, although with the gold jerseys, the white helmets probably look better. I wouldn't be much of a fan of black jerseys, although those worn by the Black Watch teams looked great, but I just don't like blue at all, either for trim, numerals, or jerseys.
I liked the black watch but I was glad that it was a kind of one time artifact that we can look back on fondly. Had we stuck with that look I would have felt like I was watching Army, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt or Iowa.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, blue was only used a few times prior to the 70s. Since the 70s, other than the Black Watch, it has been considered our tertiary color. That's not really "quite a long time."
That is incorrect. We've used both blue and black as the accent colors dating as far back as 100 years ago. Both were used equally as much in Alexander's era. Bobby Dodd liked the black.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not a big "uniform nerd," but I like the blue as a tertiary color from time to time and do not think they remind me of UNC one iota.
I think he was kidding about UNC. It would come closer to reminding us of Notre Dame, Penn State or Navy. Of course the blue that we use is supposed to be a slightly different shade, just like our helmets are supposed to be a different shade of the gold than that used by Navy or Notre Dame.

I would still argue that we have worn blue jerseys more than black but that may be my lack of historical knowledge.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think he was kidding about UNC. It would come closer to reminding us of Notre Dame, Penn State or Navy. Of course the blue that we use is supposed to be a slightly different shade, just like our helmets are supposed to be a different shade of the gold than that used by Navy or Notre Dame.

I would still argue that we have worn blue jerseys more than black but that may be my lack of historical knowledge.
Dang it! I have got to learn to follow the thread on down before I reply. I have not gotten used to the format and layout of this site yet.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Black makes sense when comparing to yellow jackets in nature. I prefer navy, probably because that is what I'm most used to seeing. I was fond of the black watch unis at the time but not so much now. Notre Dame's new bright helmets are ghastly btw.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Love these! The only change I'd make is a gold outline around the numerals. I also like the lack of names on the back. I'd probably put the logo on the helmets, too.

680-png.222

Hats really looks lame without the logo. Love no name on back regardless of color scheme.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I actually agree with you. When I was designing these, there were folks asking me to add other options so I obliged. The white helmets would be sick if we did a white out.

zk5mqg.jpg

Thanks for your efforts here. I like the Triple White, but would like Gold numbers. The post you did with the 6 different unis; I really like the W/G/W with the White numbers. Very cool.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Black? While we're at it, why not red and silver...

The vt throwbacks had black, and the old unis from 50's & 60's had black trim. Hell, they still let Buzz use black.

If ugag can wear WHITE shirts about 1/2 the time, I don't have a problem with a little black trim.

And what about curry's Black Watch?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The vt throwbacks had black, and the old unis from 50's & 60's had black trim. Hell, they still let Buzz use black.

If ugag can wear WHITE shirts about 1/2 the time, I don't have a problem with a little black trim.

The VT throwbacks didn't have any black trim. They're the ones in the posters that have been posted multiple times in this thread.

What they sold at the Tech bookstore as the VT throwbacks had blue, not black. I couldn't tell what the uniforms on the field had.