2014 uniforms

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
reading both sides of seeing new uniforms makes me wonder how fan bases of places like Oregon responded to the new uniforms they get every year. I wonder if the fanbases at those schools had such mixed feelings about the uniform changes as it seems we do.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I could understand the thought process of not changing our uni's IF we had basically the same uni for 30 years like bama or penn state. But since the uni's has changed over the years, I don't get the argument about not changing. I with Eric on this one, let the players have some say in the uni. Personally, I love the honeycomb. In terms of recruiting, just go back and look at what uni the recruits are posting pictures in. There are a lot of them in the blue honeycomb.
I don't mind change as long as the change is good. The change we got now if buffugly. It makes Maryland look good.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They do represent more then themselves but a uniform isn't a big deal. I know dealing with recruiting that it is a pretty big factor with some kids and we could use some help in that area.

My personal opinion is that I don't care what the uniforms look like to be honest...they wear them so let them have at it IMO. Just win.

Eric, I see a contradiction here. First, you say uniforms are no big deal; then you say uniforms are a big deal to recruiting. There is much more at stake here than kid's getting something cool or new for being new's sake.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
reading both sides of seeing new uniforms makes me wonder how fan bases of places like Oregon responded to the new uniforms they get every year. I wonder if the fanbases at those schools had such mixed feelings about the uniform changes as it seems we do.

Different culture, everybody is high on pot.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, I see a contradiction here. First, you say uniforms are no big deal; then you say uniforms are a big deal to recruiting. There is much more at stake here than kid's getting something cool or new for being new's sake.

I was referring to uniforms being a representation of Georgia Tech...which I don't think its a big of deal.

There really isn't a lot at stake with uniforms in my mind...so lets one the ones that help us most by impressing recruits.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'll just leave this right here: (btw, ours our even worse.)

mdunix-large.jpg

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
What everyone on these boards keeps calling ugly, the kids like. For me, it's not about Russell needing to make throwbacks all the time. It's about the "new" stuff they make actually being quality. I can guarantee you that if Nike made us some "honeycomb" unis, they'd be B.A. and high school kids would love them. Russell just makes crappy stuff, therefore the simpler stuff looks better. If we had Nike or UA, I would love to have some cutting edge uni options every year.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was referring to uniforms being a representation of Georgia Tech...which I don't think its a big of deal.

There really isn't a lot at stake with uniforms in my mind...so lets one the ones that help us most by impressing recruits.

A long read, but interesting......

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-marketing/color-and-branding

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1263439-college-footballs-15-worst-uniform-color-combinations

Uniforms and tradition are both motivators. Many young men have endured hell-on-earth for the honor of wearing the 'Green Beret' or the Marine 'Dress Blues'.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Unis in the poster look baggy and easy to grab hold of. Strike one, two, and 3. Give me funky looking unis hard to grab hold of instead plz.
Like Eric said, just win.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have lost the brand at Tech. A brand that stood for honor, guts, glory and great football tradition. A uniform is just that. It is a uniform way of dressing that distinguishes you from all others. Schools like Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Penn State understand this and hold firm to their traditional uniforms because it stands for something they created over the many decades of playing this great game. They are immensely proud of what they have built and rarely if ever take a flyer by screwing with it.

Tech had that and was building on that but frankly has lost that. Lost it not by having it taken away by some opponent or denied it by some higher authority, no Tech did it to themselves. We now trot out there with whatever some uncaring individual or individuals considers cute for that particular game and we often play like an uncaring, "so what" group of Sunday afternoon softball players.

It's one of those little things, those self inflicted wounds that make me doubt the seriousness of our entire football operation and those that are in charge of it. It's a lack of discipline and personal pride that show's an overall laziness and cavalier attitude that leads to our current day, whatever man, culture. It would be easy for us to overcome this with the proper leadership but as it is, it is what it is.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have lost the brand at Tech. A brand that stood for honor, guts, glory and great football tradition. A uniform is just that. It is a uniform way of dressing that distinguishes you from all others. Schools like Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Penn State understand this and hold firm to their traditional uniforms because it stands for something they created over the many decades of playing this great game. They are immensely proud of what they have built and rarely if ever take a flyer by screwing with it.

Tech had that and was building on that but frankly has lost that. Lost it not by having it taken away by some opponent or denied it by some higher authority, no Tech did it to themselves. We now trot out there with whatever some uncaring individual or individuals considers cute for that particular game and we often play like an uncaring, "so what" group of Sunday afternoon softball players.

It's one of those little things, those self inflicted wounds that make me doubt the seriousness of our entire football operation and those that are in charge of it. It's a lack of discipline and personal pride that show's an overall laziness and cavalier attitude that leads to our current day, whatever man, culture. It would be easy for us to overcome this with the proper leadership but as it is, it is what it is.

Go Jackets!
Even the schools you listed above have made subtle changes to keep up with current trends w/o sacrificing their traditional look. I wish we had done that. We still can. To be honest, we've been tinkering with our uni's waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the bubble wrap.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This has been beaten to death, but like someone else said, it's not really the design that is the problem it's the quality of production after the design that is the problem. Russell puts out crap stuff and until we get Nike or UA we better hope for simple unis. Let the guys playing decide what they want to wear, I'm in college and I love the old school look because it looks classy and traditional but a lot of guys my age like the flashy stuff and I'm not playing on the team so I don't have to wear it. Just win the games and you can wear doo doo brown jerseys if you want, I just want to win.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tech has made pretty big changes to unis going back to the 60s. Not much has changed lately. I do prefer gold pants and white jerseys for the record. Not a huge fan of the 70s era sleeve and pants stripes tho

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
White and Gold (maybe with a touch of Navy Blue) = good. Red and Black (along with any silvery grey) = Bad.

Besides that I could care less. I can't explain why. I mean, I was as proud as any person on the planet to wear my dress blues, and yes, they are the best uniform of all the services by far. It is just that, as a player, I have worn so many different unis over the years, some decent, some hideous, that I have become numb. To be truthful, it is about the battle, not the garments. I didn't care too much what I looked like when I was crawling through the mud and cutting through barbed wire with bullets flying by. My working clothes were designed not to be seen at all and I was a disgusting muddy, sweaty, and smelly mess anyway. Lets be concerned with how they dress off the field, but when we play / battle, just come out on top. If that happens, anything from a burlap sack to the Oregon scheme is fine with me.