2014 so close to being undefeated

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We were two touchdowns and a field goal from being undefeated. But on the other hand there were some close plays that, if gone the other way, we could have had six losses. Our margin of error to be undefeated is really thin. There are many ? marks to be answered in the first games this year, kicking game (new punter & kicker), D at level of ending 2016, LB and pass rush improved, QB consistency running TO and making proper reads.

This year we seem to be building more depth at most positions but IMO the receiving corps and an accurate passer that is able to execute the TO can make this a fun year. But close losses will create great gnashing of teeth.

Barring a slew of injuries, 2017 should be exciting. GO JACKETS!! THWG

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We were two touchdowns and a field goal from being undefeated. But on the other hand there were some close plays that, if gone the other way, we could have had six losses. Our margin of error to be undefeated is really thin. THWG

In my recollection we had more "good luck" than "bad luck" that year. Of course that doesn't make up for what seems like decades of bad luck. We had a TO margin of +0.8 which was 12th in the country. Not that TOs are luck, but I think there was a significant element of good fortune. This was mostly on the strength of picks. We averaged 1.3 per game. Our fumbles lost per game was about equal for "O" and "D". I recall thinking we were fortunate to win Ga Southern and UGA game that year. Also, I remember thinking we were incredibly fortunate in the Pitt game when they turned it over their first four possessions.

No data, but just in my memory it seems like we have "turned the corner" concerning always having bad luck. Just thinking of the UGA games, prior to the previous 4 years, it always seemed like we "found a way to give it away" to me. At least 2 of the last 4 years we "found a way to win it". Again, we DID a lot of things to make things happen, but it just seems like we either got some good breaks (or at least didn't get the bad breaks) that I have grown accustomed to over the last 40+ years of watching Tech football (and sports in general).

For most programs that arent "elite talent/football factories" the difference between a fair/good or good/great or great/NC contending season comes down to "did you get the breaks" that year or not.

SJ

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
To win a NC I believe there is always a lucky bounce, or injuries minimized, but you make your own luck by extra hustle, extra film work, better talent. We aren't ever going to have a depth of extra talent but we have a team creative atmosphere, some tradition, a ball control offense. An improved defense could get us there but will still need some breaks adding up in our favor.

Our Opening game this Fall will tell us a lot. We should be ahead of last year even with a new QB.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
To win a NC I believe there is always a lucky bounce, or injuries minimized, but you make your own luck by extra hustle, extra film work, better talent. We aren't ever going to have a depth of extra talent but we have a team creative atmosphere, some tradition, a ball control offense. An improved defense could get us there but will still need some breaks adding up in our favor.

Our Opening game this Fall will tell us a lot. We should be ahead of last year even with a new QB.

Yep. I believe with our system, we have maximized our chances of being successful (however you define it) given our unique set of circumstances. The offense has never been the problem in my estimation. Has it had down years ..... yes. Can it be stopped when we face elite talent .... yes (or at least slowed down). Overall though, it's our strong suit. If the defense can be consistently better it will be a lot of fun. Still, I agree, with our situation, the margin is always going to be thin and we will seldom be able to "sleepwalk" thorough a game and expect to win just based on talent.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Goes to show: even good teams have to have a load of luck to win 11 games these days. As I've said here before, I'm pretty sure that the folks at Pitt wanted to find out who the warlock was on our side during that game. That game was right out of a Harry Potter movie.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Goes to show: even good teams have to have a load of luck to win 11 games these days. As I've said here before, I'm pretty sure that the folks at Pitt wanted to find out who the warlock was on our side during that game. That game was right out of a Harry Potter movie.

Two of the losses last year is when two examples of 'luck' did not go our way. If they had, our record would have been the same as it was in '14 with at least 10 to 11 wins. Though just by how we did in in game competition in '14 vs '16, the '14 team is still better and a more well rounded team all around. The '14 D had a definite 'ball-hawking' identity and the O was... well maybe we should ask Dak Preskott bout that??? Last years D did not really coalesce until the last couple of games but still with no real identity.
The Pitt game in '14 was one of the best defensive football displays for takeaways I have ever seen! The D usually was out on the field for such short amount of times they remained fresh and mostly uninjured. Due 100% to the fact that the O was constant Death Marches.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
In my recollection we had more "good luck" than "bad luck" that year. Of course that doesn't make up for what seems like decades of bad luck. We had a TO margin of +0.8 which was 12th in the country. Not that TOs are luck, but I think there was a significant element of good fortune. This was mostly on the strength of picks. We averaged 1.3 per game. Our fumbles lost per game was about equal for "O" and "D". I recall thinking we were fortunate to win Ga Southern and UGA game that year. Also, I remember thinking we were incredibly fortunate in the Pitt game when they turned it over their first four possessions.

No data, but just in my memory it seems like we have "turned the corner" concerning always having bad luck. Just thinking of the UGA games, prior to the previous 4 years, it always seemed like we "found a way to give it away" to me. At least 2 of the last 4 years we "found a way to win it". Again, we DID a lot of things to make things happen, but it just seems like we either got some good breaks (or at least didn't get the bad breaks) that I have grown accustomed to over the last 40+ years of watching Tech football (and sports in general).

For most programs that arent "elite talent/football factories" the difference between a fair/good or good/great or great/NC contending season comes down to "did you get the breaks" that year or not.

SJ

We definitely had some good luck of our own that year, but we still dealt with our fair share of horrible calls against us (see the literal 14 swing of the JT goal line "strip" that single handedly kept uga in the game). The difference was our team was ready and willing to fight through the adversity and it showed in the record.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
We definitely had some good luck of our own that year, but we still dealt with our fair share of horrible calls against us (see the literal 14 swing of the JT goal line "strip" that single handedly kept uga in the game). The difference was our team was ready and willing to fight through the adversity and it showed in the record.
His other "fumble" was bs too. Should have been an incomplete pass

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
The Duke game was within reach. If we had inserted Byerly into the game earlier in the 2nd half a win would've been highly probable. Thomas was dinged up and not having his best game.

Animal02

Banned
The Duke game was within reach. If we had inserted Byerly into the game earlier in the 2nd half a win would've been highly probable. Thomas was dinged up and not having his best game.
IIRC, in the Duke game, the Duke QB was sitting on the ground, yet was able to move the ball forward about 1-2 yards for a first down, a play that could easily have made the difference in the game. Refs chose to look the other way, and magically, there was no replay.