2014 Schedule

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson: No Boyd or Watkins
U(sic)GA: Murray leaves, Grantham leaves
Duh U: No Jacory Harris or WR Travis Benjamin.
VPI: Logan Thomas leaves.
UNCheat: No Eric Ebron

Yes, I agree they will reload, but these teams are losing their best players.
Also no Dorsett for duh u

I see another 7 and 5 year. Could be 6 and 6 because Georgia Southern is not a given.
Hunter knows what he is talking about. Our team of this year has gotten considerable weaker . Personnel that are not replaced with equal talent /experience are Watts, Lee, Jemea, Godhigh, Sims. The schedule breaks down thusly---Definite wins: only Wofford and Tulane. Toss-ups UVA, NCST, Southern, Duke. Probable losses: Miami, UNC, Pittsburgh, Va Tech. Definite losses: Clemson, Georgia.
I would say 6-6 was highly probable, and 5-7 could happen.

Animal02

Banned
Hunter knows what he is talking about. Our team of this year has gotten considerable weaker . Personnel that are not replaced with equal talent /experience are Watts, Lee, Jemea, Godhigh, Sims. The schedule breaks down thusly---Definite wins: only Wofford and Tulane. Toss-ups UVA, NCST, Southern, Duke. Probable losses: Miami, UNC, Pittsburgh, Va Tech. Definite losses: Clemson, Georgia.

Saying UVA and NCST are "toss ups" is asinine. Saying UNC and Pitt are "probably losses" is just as asinine.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Your telling me that we don't have the talent to fill Sims spot? That is about as ridiculous as saying that we will probably loose to Pittsburgh.... What in the past has shown you that we will go 5-7? I don't think that the trend over the last 17 years would suggest that we aren't going to make a bowl game. It sounds like to me you are hoping for a change. You want to see more of the 0-fer varieties that we had in the early nineties? Push for that coaching change...

I for one want CPJ to succeed and think that he still can. We have an offense that works with lesser talent than the factories. The right personnel and smart/fast QB will make all the difference.

I believe that we have a shot with every game on the schedule:

Win: Wofford, GSU, UVA, Duke, Tulane, NC State, UNC, Pitt
Could Win: da U, CU, VT, UGA

Win 2/4 or 3/4 and we will be talking huge for 2015!

Animal02

Banned
Your telling me that we don't have the talent to fill Sims spot? That is about as ridiculous as saying that we will probably loose to Pittsburgh.... What in the past has shown you that we will go 5-7? I don't think that the trend over the last 17 years would suggest that we aren't going to make a bowl game. It sounds like to me you are hoping for a change. You want to see more of the 0-fer varieties that we had in the early nineties? Push for that coaching change...

I for one want CPJ to succeed and think that he still can. We have an offense that works with lesser talent than the factories. The right personnel and smart/fast QB will make all the difference.

Someone that says that Tech is a "toss-up against two teams that went 0-8 in the ACC is someone that just wants to dump on CPJ.

I see Wofford, Tulane and GSU, UVA and NCST as wins......Duke, UNC, and Pitt as likely wins, VT and MIA as tossups, and Clemp and UGAG as likely losses.
Less than 8 wins in 2014 should be expected.

I didn't intend to upset you. I just have a different opinion. We have been getting steadily worse for four years. There was no one on the team this year, not even Zach Laskey, that could get Sims off the field. I agree with you Sims was not a playmaker, but he was the best we had, and he's gone without a viable replacement. You are mouthing the words Custis at your screen, but he has taken exactly the same number of division one snaps as I have. We lost a great deal of talent off of a 7-6 team that was only 7-6 because we played two FCS teams. I want Tech to win every game, but they aren't going to. Pencil in ten or 11 wins, we just aren't that talented.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I didn't intend to upset you. I just have a different opinion. We have been getting steadily worse for four years. There was no one on the team this year, not even Zach Laskey, that could get Sims off the field. I agree with you Sims was not a playmaker, but he was the best we had, and he's gone without a viable replacement. You are mouthing the words Custis at your screen, but he has taken exactly the same number of division one snaps as I have. We lost a great deal of talent off of a 7-6 team that was only 7-6 because we played two FCS teams. I want Tech to win every game, but they aren't going to. Pencil in ten or 11 wins, we just aren't that talented.
I just re-read what I wrote and realized that it came off as angry. Sorry, its Monday and it's already been a long week.... We just a have slightly different views on how the season could go. I am always an optimist when it comes to the Tech athletics. This view usually leads me to disappointment...

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not worried that we don't have the athletes. I believe we have good athletes on the team and good speed. I am more worried about the ability of our coaches to adapt to the situations or teams we meet and that the team be in harmony with each other and the coaches.

The QB position should be in better shape because the starter will probably fit the system better. We should not have as many mistakes on offense. Since, I believe the coaches tenure is on the line, I expect both the offense and the defense to correct the problems of last year. If the team is in unity with each other and the coaches, then these two things will have to happen for a better year;

On offense, the plays will have to be more varied than last year. The opposition's defenses are well aware of the probability of each play we now call during the game; there must be additional plays and subsystems that we did not use last year. On defense, the DB's and linebackers must play alongside or inside the receivers on the 3rd and long plays. If not the other team will first down us to death and control the clock and the game.

If these weaknesses are addressed, then we have a chance with a weak schedule to have a good season. Since we do not know the full schedule or schedule changes, then I will predict next season on the teams that CuseJacket used.

Home Games
Wofford (W)
GSU (W)
UVA ((W)
Duke (W)
Miami (W)
Clemson (L)

AWAY
Tulane (W)
NCSU (W)
UNC (L)
Pitt (L)
VT (W)
UGA (L)

8-3 with the above stated games. I believe Wofford, GSU, and UVA will be no-contest at Bobby Dodd Stadium. Duke could beat us, but this is one team where we seem to have tradition in our favor. I believe we beat Miami at home, because they are not consistent, and it is our time to win. Clemson has an new quarteback from Gainesville, Georgia, but he appears to be a good one. We have problems with good passers who can also run with the ball.

Tulane appears to be coming back, but need a couple more years to beat us in Bobby Dodd Stadium. This is another team we have always been the winner by tradition, althouth it was back in the past. The new coach at NCSU did not fare that well last year, and may have a hard time with the TO (he is not that well acquainted with our TO). Pitt has a good quarterback coming back and he gave us problems last year in our house. We have big problems against the passers. Virginia Tech, for some reason, appears to be on the way downhill. It may be because they had recruited an abundance of extremely talented players, but have not done as well lately with their recruits, or the age factor is catching up with the coach.

The odds are that we will lose in Athens.

Animal02

Banned
I am not worried that we don't have the athletes. I believe we have good athletes on the team and good speed. I am more worried about the ability of our coaches to adapt to the situations or teams we meet and that the team be in harmony with each other and the coaches.

The QB position should be in better shape because the starter will probably fit the system better. We should not have as many mistakes on offense. Since, I believe the coaches tenure is on the line, I expect both the offense and the defense to correct the problems of last year. If the team is in unity with each other and the coaches, then these two things will have to happen for a better year;

On offense, the plays will have to be more varied than last year. The opposition's defenses are well aware of the probability of each play we now call during the game; there must be additional plays and subsystems that we did not use last year. On defense, the DB's and linebackers must play alongside or inside the receivers on the 3rd and long plays. If not the other team will first down us to death and control the clock and the game.

If these weaknesses are addressed, then we have a chance with a weak schedule to have a good season. Since we do not know the full schedule or schedule changes, then I will predict next season on the teams that CuseJacket used.

Home Games
Wofford (W)
GSU (W)
UVA ((W)
Duke (W)
Miami (W)
Clemson (L)

AWAY
Tulane (W)
NCSU (W)
UNC (L)
Pitt (L)
VT (W)
UGA (L)

8-3 with the above stated games. I believe Wofford, GSU, and UVA will be no-contest at Bobby Dodd Stadium. Duke could beat us, but this is one team where we seem to have tradition in our favor. I believe we beat Miami at home, because they are not consistent, and it is our time to win. Clemson has an new quarteback from Gainesville, Georgia, but he appears to be a good one. We have problems with good passers who can also run with the ball.

Tulane appears to be coming back, but need a couple more years to beat us in Bobby Dodd Stadium. This is another team we have always been the winner by tradition, althouth it was back in the past. The new coach at NCSU did not fare that well last year, and may have a hard time with the TO (he is not that well acquainted with our TO). Pitt has a good quarterback coming back and he gave us problems last year in our house. We have big problems against the passers. Virginia Tech, for some reason, appears to be on the way downhill. It may be because they had recruited an abundance of extremely talented players, but have not done as well lately with their recruits, or the age factor is catching up with the coach.

The odds are that we will lose in Athens.
The W/L of Miami, Pitt, UNC and VT are probably interchangeable. I think it is possible we could beat all four, but we always manage to lose a couple we should win.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you Sims was not a playmaker, but he was the best we had, and he's gone without a viable replacement. You are mouthing the words Custis at your screen, but he has taken exactly the same number of division one snaps as I have.

You could have said the same thing about Jameis Winston coming into this season, right?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Custis is going to win the Heisman this year. Not really even comparing him to Jameis other than the number of snaps they had taken. I'm willing to bet that Custis will be closer to him in production this year than he will be to you. And hinting that you think Custis won't come close to replacing Sims because he has yet to play a snap is silly.

Motion to remove "Jolly" from this guys tag.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Clemson: No Boyd or Watkins
U(sic)GA: Murray leaves, Grantham leaves
Duh U: No Jacory Harris or WR Travis Benjamin.
VPI: Logan Thomas leaves.
UNCheat: No Eric Ebron

Yes, I agree they will reload, but these teams are losing their best players.
Well if we trade BYU for GSU we win eight......that keeps PJ and the tirades continue.GA will be good and the rest have players to step it up.VT needs a offense but UNC is a question mark....bottom line is we play defense and we win.........I see PJ seat cooling due to the teams we play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe that our offense won't be fine. It was excellent in 2009 (top 6). It was very good in 2011 (top 15) and good (top 31) every other year but 2010. Our defense as a has been bad 57 and 58 the last two years, 68 and 70 in 2011 and 2010, 53 in 2009 and 43 in 2008. Our O during the 2010 chemistry-issue melt-down year was 49th, still better than every D but 2008. These rankings are based on footballoutsiders F/+ stat which is opponent adjusted and doesn't count games against FCS or garbage and non-competitive possessions.

This past year, we scored 31 on Clemson. By comparison, U[sic]Ga and Ohio St scored 35 and SCar scored 31. The difference? They scored 55. By comparison, CU scored 52 against SCar St, 56 against WF, and 52 against the Citadel. We scored 30 against Miami. Teams that scored more than 30 against them were FSU 41, vpi 42, Duke 48, Pitt 31, and Lvill 36. But we gave up 45 pts to them. By comparison, they scored 49 against SFlor, 45 ag UVA and 41 against Pitt.

This was not a great year for us on offense, but it's still our D that needs to really improve.