2014 Offense Signees Recap

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Just like that NSD has come and gone...The Jackets opened the day up with a LOI from Michael Preddy at 8:30 AM and closed the class out with Myles Autry announcing his intentions to join the Jackets at 4:00 PM.

Georgia Tech headed into the 2014 class with three areas that needed a lot of attention...OL, DE and CB. The Jackets did a good job of filling all those needs.

Recap

QB (1)

Matthew Jordan

Coach Johnson likes to take at least one quarterback every year and he indentified Matthew Jordan as the guy they wanted early on...Jordan is a true dual threat quarterback and has a better arm then people may realize. Coach Johnson has said this could be the best passing quarterback that he has signed at Georgia Tech so far...Jordan is a tough kid who loves to compete. He wont back down from a challenge and will give it his all every time. He enrolled early at Georgia Tech and we will get to see what he can do in Spring practice.

A Back (2)

Clinton Lynch

Clinton comes off of a loaded Norcross team that had several other D1 signees...He was the leading WR on the team and a big play threat. When you watch his film you see a solid overall player who has good skills across the boar...I can see why Lynch fell through the cracks of other schools and didnt land big offers...he doesnt have great size for a WR. His skill set fits in great for our offense those as he can excel in the slot catching passes. I just really like the fit for him at A-back..he runs hard.

Myles Autry

Where to start on this on...This has been a long time coming for the Georgia Tech coaching staff. We have been recruiting him since his 10th grade year. He has been all over the board as to what school he was going to and who he favored..at the end of day he ended up a Yellow Jacket and he is thrilled to be playing with his brother at the next level. Myles was one of the most sought after players his Junior year in HS before suffering major ACL and MCL injury....Myles still played in the state championship game after those injuries so his toughness is not something you can question. He had surgery in the off-season and rushed back a little too early...He struggled mightily during majority of the season...he took a couple of weeks off and got back to ole Myles near the end of the year. He was key in his team winning the state championship as he returned a kickoff all the game and sealed the game with a huge TD catch...There is little doubt in my mind that when Myles is healthy he is a blue collar player and dynamite with the ball is his hands...Myles will have to learn to block and show he is willing to do that...if he does he has a chance to be a homerun player for Tech. At the worst Myles will be a great player in the return game...A lot of schools were scared off by his injury and how he performed his Senior season...for Georgia Tech he is absolutely worth the gamble. The reward out ways the risk a lot in my mind. I am thrilled to see what he does here.

CJ Leggett

Leggett is one of the top backs in the state of Georgia..Leggett is a powerful back who has a great lower body. He likes to run between the tackles but is fast enough to bounce it outside. I could see him playing either of our RB spots which makes him very valuable but as of now he will be coming in as an A back. He also showed in high school that he has good hands and knows how to catch. CJ is a real steal for us.

WR (1)

Qua Searcey

Georgia Tech is building some quality depth at WR and this was not a pressing need in this class. The chose to take Qua because he is a guy that can really do it all...He is such a smooth player and just seems like a natural. He is coming in at WR but if that doesnt work out he could easily switch over to DB and be very good. I personally would like to see him at DB. Something about Qua just strikes me as a steal. Coach McCollum had a lot of good things to say about him today and talked about how he would have been a 5* if he would have went to camps. Qua hasnt got a lot of pub from the recruiting sites or even Georgia Tech fans for that matter...but my gut says we will hear a lot from him the next two seasons.

OL (6!)

Huge area of need...very pleased with the guys below!

Jake Stickler

Stickler fits the mold for what Georgia Tech is looking for at tackle..He has a great frame as he is 6'5 and can pack on weight....but wow this kid has some great feet. He can really move for a offensive lineman. There is no doubt that him getting to the second level will not be a problem. I am really excited about Jake and he is a guy who I think could earn some time this season. Ole Miss made a hard late run at Jake but he his mind was made up on Tech...as weird as it feels saying this...Mike Sewak did a excellent job here.

Gary Brown

Maybe my favorite OL signee in this class...Brown fires off the ball quick and is really a great run blocker. He is a tad on the short side but I think he projects very well for us at guard. He moves well and plays with good leverage. He also shows a mean streak from time to time. He plays tackle in HS so he have to adjust to guard at Tech...There isnt much to not like about his game.

Andrew Marshall

The most important position on our offensive line has to be the center...Andrew is just one of those guys that is a natural center. Marshall went to the Auburn camp this Summer and dominated some of the top lineman at the camp...He has good footwork. Marshall has a good frame as well as he is 6'4 and can end up in the 290 range. Good job by the staff of jumping on him early and locking him down.

Jake Whitley

Jake is already pretty filled out as he is 6'4 and near 300 pounds...Mike Sewak has been recruiting Jake since his Sophomore year in HS. Jake came to a camp at Georgia Tech in the Summer and fell in love...When GT offered he committed on the spot. Whitley is another guy who of course is great in run blocking. I think he is a little raw as this stage and needs some work but the tools are there for him to be a good player.

Michael Preddy

This is one of the lineman that our coaches love...He has a ton of potential and is athletic for a guy of his size which is why he projects as a tackle for us. Preddy played both ways in high school but was recruited by most schools as a DE...Preddy probably is the furthest away from playing right now as he still has a lot to learn but the coaches really think he has a high ceiling. Staff really sold him well...in fact his Mom loves Atlanta so much that she plans to move now.

Trey Klock

Hard not to be excited about Trey...Kid can play OL, TE or DE. He is simply a football player...He is a kid that isnt much about talking. He just wants to line up and play football...Klock is a mean SOB on the field too. He loves to punish people and finish plays. Trey is coming in at OL and will start out as a tackle...as CPJ alluded to today dont be surprised to see Klock get some plays as a TE...I really dont know where Klock projects at best but one I thing I do know is that he is going to be a good football player for us.

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Feel free to ask any questions about the guys above..I will do a defense one when I can get around to it.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks Eric. I feel better about these guys seeing that some of them did well at camps against the big boys. Let's hope they do so going forward too! 2015 is a brutal schedule.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Eric just off your gut feeling who do think makes the biggest impact on the team? I know it's kind of a guessing game just wanted your opinion after reviewing a lot of these guys. As in who gets on the field first? Who ends up being a starter the fastest? Things like that.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like the class
I don't care much about rankings its all about evaluation of players and coaching up.

Historically speaking however the staff hasn't proven to be as successful as I'd hope.

I hope to see some game changers in this class. . I Feel that we do.;)

I would like Qua at db too
Like the Abacks
Leggett at Bback
And of coarse I hope to see Klock at TE OFTEN

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric just off your gut feeling who do think makes the biggest impact on the team? I know it's kind of a guessing game just wanted your opinion after reviewing a lot of these guys. As in who gets on the field first? Who ends up being a starter the fastest? Things like that.

Biggest impact on the team - Myles Autry..Think he is going to be special in the return game.
Gets on the field first - Tough one. Would say Myles on ST...but besides that I will go for a surprise and say a OL...maybe Stickler.
Becomes a starter the fastest - I think it will be someone in 2015...I am going to go with Brown at G.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
So you don't think Myles redshirts?

Thanks for the write-up, by the way.

Offensively, I'm most excited by Myles, Brown, and Klock. I've watched Qua a few times and I'm mystified as to what kept other teams away. When he's on defense, he's got that Jemea Thomas look to him. He's fast and seems to relish contact as a blocker on the edge. Not a route runner by any means, but has that Stephen Hill feel to him - he doesn't need to run the best routes because he can blow the top off the defense.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
So you don't think Myles redshirts?

Thanks for the write-up, by the way.

Offensively, I'm most excited by Myles, Brown, and Klock. I've watched Qua a few times and I'm mystified as to what kept other teams away. When he's on defense, he's got that Jemea Thomas look to him. He's fast and seems to relish contact as a blocker on the edge. Not a route runner by any means, but has that Stephen Hill feel to him - he doesn't need to run the best routes because he can blow the top off the defense.
Just my opinion, but Myles is not a guy you RS because if he makes a big impact he's likely to jump to the NFL ASAP. If he can make a big impact on ST then that can still change so many things and you take it.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I am cautiously very optimistic about our offense if coaches can figure out who to utilize where effectively. The thought of JT and MJ at QB, Custis at BB, Myles and Leggett at AB, along with some of the young receivers we have and young, mean and large OL we have gets me excited. We seem to have tons of ability and speed everywhere.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy will get burn at Aback ..
I don't see Leggett or Wilson staying at Aback.
I agree with Eric on Qua DEFENSE

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Eric, you're wrong about qua...he's not being overlooked by tech fans. At least not me. I know everyone's heard me say this, but I would love to see us switch jalen and qua. Qua is everywhere on defense and can be the perfect jemea type player in that he can cover the slot well in nickel and is a great run support safety. He's jemea with size.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Gary Brown and Klock look to be the best shots at playing on O this year.

My favorite player is Matthew Jordan. I look forward to seeing how the relationship with JT develops.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would have been cool if we had just signed 10 OL and been done with it! I am thrilled by the OL we got, and even though some are all giddy about doing funky stuff with Klock, I just want to see him at OT pancaking people 20 yards downfield! I've already posted that he's my favorite recruit in this class. Jordan gives us such solid depth now at QB. Remember when it was JfN, a true freshman Jaybo, and poor Calvin Booker (wish he'd had one year as traditional QB just bc I think he was a good story). I can see any of our QBs running the offense now. I got burned once by telling my buddies that Perkins was a guaranteed stud after watching his tape (it was as good as any running back we've had), so I'll hold off the high praise for any offensive skill guy based on HS highlights. Buuuttttt.... if I didn't have to hold off, I LOVE Leggett and Autry's films! There.