2014 Offense Prediction: Return of the Midline Lead Option

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Your right. I went back and looked. There was no mesh at all. I think I was looking more at TB than where ZL hands and arms were. Sorry about that.

No worries. If you haven't had a chance yet, check-out the play at 1:00:28 in that VPI video posted above (#61). I think we're going to be doing a lot to try and break JT into open space.

Here's some more midline lead-option from 2008. 1:29, QB keep; 1:59, B-Back (bad read, but Diesel); 2:24, B-Back (good read, Cox!), JN had kept it on the midline twice earlier in that drive iirc;

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
No worries. If you haven't had a chance yet, check-out the play at 1:00:28 in that VPI video posted above (#61). I think we're going to be doing a lot to try and break JT into open space.

Here's some more midline lead-option from 2008. 1:29, QB keep; 1:59, B-Back (bad read, but Diesel); 2:24, B-Back (good read, Cox!), JN had kept it on the midline twice earlier in that drive iirc;

I just went back and looked at that option in (#61). A thing of beauty. That whole Miami game was pretty much awesome. It took a couple of drives to get going but after that it was full speed ahead:)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For those interested in learning... this is not a midline or a "called" midline. No real mesh with the BB and the AB does not lead up the hole.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
For those interested in learning... this is not a midline or a "called" midline. No real mesh with the BB and the AB does not lead up the hole.

When a qb misses his read on veer, he is supposed to follow the B back. It looks like he didn't miss his read, but was told to keep and follow no matter what.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is not even a mesh on this play. A midline with a called keep would have a mesh right?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I'm not sure why @nodawgs thinks this is midline. I don't see any OL being veered, and the Bback leads the QB outside the line not up the middle.
Didn't say it was midline. What I said is that is a play that mimics the veer when a qb misses the give to the B back and follows behind him. It was a designed keep. Most veer teams have a rule that if you miss your read on the DE, you follow behind the B back.