2014 Offense Prediction: Return of the Midline Lead Option

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The OL was moving around due to injuries which made Vad's job harder

Vad had difficulty reading in general (both pre and post snap / pass and run )

Vad did not force the running lane to make the LB commit and strung out plays.

The defenses are really trying to mix up the jobs of the DE and LB that are the options. Cross Charge where the LB goes for the BB and the DE goes for the QB.

The defenses are sending the DE close to the BB but the DE goes for the QB. This is trying to "kill" the read. The BB will make at least 3 yards, but you will sack the QB for a loss if he keeps.

The defenses tried to kill the play before it started more this year just like we practiced in the spring game.

I have often wondered if our O in 2013 had a "tell" that informed the direction of the play (like the guard pulling).

The big tell will be to see how our QBs handle these strategies in 2014. This should let us know how much was Vad and how much was better defense planning.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Longest. I agree with all you said. I also think that our OL had to have some tells. We were so focused on not jumping off sides (big contributor in losing to VT). Could have been as simple as some hand positioning or weight on the heel or toe in the set.

The cross charge is when you wish you had the triple option rather than the midline (double) option called. I would guess that CPJ wouldn't call the mid line option if the D is cross charging a lot?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Midline is ok on a cross charge. Seem like the read on a cross charge should be the LB and not the DE? The DE is blocked out?

Cross charge would be blown up by a QB keep and quick pitch to the AB on a 3TO. (I include a LB blitz/timing snap here) You can notice Byerly did this a lot in the spring game.

You have to read the cross charge on a 3TO too. I think I have video of JT correctly reading a cross charge in the Miami game on a 3TO. The QB should be watching the DE and the LB right both on the 3TO?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we run to the side with the fewest defenders in the count, which is usually the short side of the field. Others we correct me if I'm wrong :cry:

You're correct. At least as far as the TO is concerned. It's not necessarily that way on other plays (obviously).

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you think this is a midline? The DE (Tyler Stargel) was the unblocked lineman.

It's not a mid-line; that's a regular TO play where the QB reads the DE and turns the play up inside. On a mid-line, the play side guard wouldn't be drive blocking; he would be releasing to the second level and looking to execute a seal block on the weakside outside linebacker or strong safety.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
You're correct. At least as far as the TO is concerned. It's not necessarily that way on other plays (obviously).

I know defenses are going to give us a look that has us run to the short side if they can. It would be nice to see some more called tosses to the other side, since so many seem to get caught up in traffic on the short side (unless Godhigh was running the ball).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The OL was moving around due to injuries which made Vad's job harder

Vad had difficulty reading in general (both pre and post snap / pass and run )

Vad did not force the running lane to make the LB commit and strung out plays.

The defenses are really trying to mix up the jobs of the DE and LB that are the options. Cross Charge where the LB goes for the BB and the DE goes for the QB.

The defenses are sending the DE close to the BB but the DE goes for the QB. This is trying to "kill" the read. The BB will make at least 3 yards, but you will sack the QB for a loss if he keeps.

The defenses tried to kill the play before it started more this year just like we practiced in the spring game.

I have often wondered if our O in 2013 had a "tell" that informed the direction of the play (like the guard pulling).

The big tell will be to see how our QBs handle these strategies in 2014. This should let us know how much was Vad and how much was better defense planning.
I think this is where having another great offensive mind in Bryan Cook will pay off. The two of them can brainstorm ideas to defeat what defenses are having success with. The key is finding a solution that our personnel can execute. Just because something works on paper doesn't mean it works when guys try to do it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am perplexed (in a good way) by watching TB during the spring. I have never seen a QB progress as much as him from his time last year to the spring. I am not sure if it is his hard work, Cook's coaching, or just a light bulb coming on, but I hope JT progressed as much as TB. Maybe he did not get a lot of time with the QB coaches last year, but I like his quick reads. His footwork leaves some to be desired, but the speed and decision making is there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am perplexed (in a good way) by watching TB during the spring. I have never seen a QB progress as much as him from his time last year to the spring. I am not sure if it is his hard work, Cook's coaching, or just a light bulb coming on, but I hope JT progressed as much as TB. Maybe he did not get a lot of time with the QB coaches last year, but I like his quick reads. His footwork leaves some to be desired, but the speed and decision making is there.
You forgot that he's also one tough SOB that's a load to bring down. He gets upfield in a hurry on keepers which is 180 degree reversal from Vad. He looks composed in traffic and makes the right decision more often than not. He pitches with good timing and accuracy and has surprisingly good touch on his throws. It would not surprise me to see him give JT a run for his money.

You forgot that he's also one tough SOB that's a load to bring down. He gets upfield in a hurry on keepers which is 180 degree reversal from Vad. He looks composed in traffic and makes the right decision more often than not. He pitches with good timing and accuracy and has surprisingly good touch on his throws. It would not surprise me to see him give JT a run for his money.

By "run for his money" you mean barely miss beating him out in fall camp and be relegated to mop up duty in our first three blow-out victories, I think you are correct. If, OTOH, you mean, JT wins the job and starts the first four games, but TB is nipping at his heels all the way to Blacksburg, and after a poor first half against the Hokies, Thomas is sat down and Byerly takes over and brings us back for a much needed road win----naw, I don't see that. He who starts against Wofford shall be the 2014 quarterback the whole way---barring injury.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
TB has always been a tough runner. I do not think I have seen him make good decisions that quick during the games last season. The kid is really working hard. I bet CPJ continues to play 2 qbs at least in the first part of the year.