2014-2016-2017

So I have had some spare time to go back and look at these three seasons on offense. Now before I go into offense, it was clear that over these seasons our defenses were fairly average with the exception of 2014 we were very plus on the turnovers.

So offense, what stood out. In 2014 our O line was flat out destructive. B-back dives were four yards down the field before our guys were hit. Our A-backs were big and fast and delivered great blocks. JT5 was quick. B-backs were strong and passing was pretty good. Stupid losses and that season could have really been special.

2016, our O line was ok but we were not as powerful. We had some big plays but they were mostly Clinton Lynch, JT 5 and Marcus Marshall. Pretty good passing.

2017 our O line was less than impressive. We struggled in all phases. T Marshall had big runs but passing was way off.

Summary, 2014 was a senior team and the o-line was incredible. And guess what, that is how you are a good offensive team.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So I have had some spare time to go back and look at these three seasons on offense. Now before I go into offense, it was clear that over these seasons our defenses were fairly average with the exception of 2014 we were very plus on the turnovers.

So offense, what stood out. In 2014 our O line was flat out destructive. B-back dives were four yards down the field before our guys were hit. Our A-backs were big and fast and delivered great blocks. JT5 was quick. B-backs were strong and passing was pretty good. Stupid losses and that season could have really been special.

2016, our O line was ok but we were not as powerful. We had some big plays but they were mostly Clinton Lynch, JT 5 and Marcus Marshall. Pretty good passing.

2017 our O line was less than impressive. We struggled in all phases. T Marshall had big runs but passing was way off.

Summary, 2014 was a senior team and the o-line was incredible. And guess what, that is how you are a good offensive team.

I think that is pretty much spot on. Our offense is so different from most teams it is sometimes hard to see what is going on with the offensive line. One observation about 2014 was the perimeter blocking was generally outstanding. The A backs, Smelter and Waller were very good, maybe the best group in the Johnson era. Boy, I really miss DeAndre. He is the kind of guy that opposing defensive backs would point to and kind of go: "Watch that guy". Once he went down, Darren did a great job of stepping up in the bowl game and showing what he was capable of doing. We have not had an offense as good as 2014. The OP seems to suggest it is because of sub par offensive line play. Maybe so but that group of receivers and A backs have not been duplicated either.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The A backs, Smelter and Waller were very good, maybe the best group in the Johnson era. Boy, I really miss DeAndre.

Smelter could destroy single-coverage. He made guys still getting pay checks in the NFL look silly. With Waller we had a credible corner route. We hit that at least twice in the Orange Bowl and I thought to myself "where has that been for the past eight years".

Unfortunately, with the exception of Clinton Lynch our most credible passing threats have come when we've had NFL caliber players lined up wide. We've got to find a way to keep teams honest without requiring that caliber of athlete.

There's a reason the service academies are really good with this offense. They don't have scholarship limits. Check their depth chart. They frequently start juniors and seniors at almost every position. 2008-2009 was the result of really good skill players and a relative lack of experience at defending this offense. 2014 showed what this offense can do with senior leadership (oh...and some really good skill players as well).

I hope we can get to a place where we can be successful without needing seniors everywhere.

Animal02

Banned
Smelter could destroy single-coverage. He made guys still getting pay checks in the NFL look silly. With Waller we had a credible corner route. We hit that at least twice in the Orange Bowl and I thought to myself "where has that been for the past eight years".

Unfortunately, with the exception of Clinton Lynch our most credible passing threats have come when we've had NFL caliber players lined up wide. We've got to find a way to keep teams honest without requiring that caliber of athlete.

There's a reason the service academies are really good with this offense. They don't have scholarship limits. Check their depth chart. They frequently start juniors and seniors at almost every position. 2008-2009 was the result of really good skill players and a relative lack of experience at defending this offense. 2014 showed what this offense can do with senior leadership (oh...and some really good skill players as well).

I hope we can get to a place where we can be successful without needing seniors everywhere.
It is not scholarship limits.......kids that go to the service academies make a commitment. IIRC, they are required to serve whether they graduate or not. Far better serving as an officer......which means staying in school.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I mean it's no coincidence that our best years have come when we had an NFL caliber receiver. It makes us almost impossible to stop on 3rd down, but those guys also bail us out a bunch in impossible situations too. Smelter, in particular bailed us out a bunch in 2014...remember that 4th down at VT? Now Qua did it against BC in Dublin, as well...but it's much nicer to have those giant receivers that can get open and snag balls on the outside

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
This also shows that the margin of success is exceedingly small. An incomplete pass alone can decide a lot of games. Without great depth we tend to sit on a razors edge.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One other thing that few people really notice in difference in the '14 team--SIZE--the size of the WRs ,the size of our backs--all of them.Size at Aback especially pays off in blocking.We have 3 guys at aback now that will struggle to get playing time because of that probably..

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
One other thing that few people really notice in difference in the '14 team--SIZE--the size of the WRs ,the size of our backs--all of them.Size at Aback especially pays off in blocking.We have 3 guys at aback now that will struggle to get playing time because of that probably..

Blocking is all about impact and applying more mass with identical speed/athleticism will consistently be better. I love players like Qua but his weight does limit his effectiveness when blocking.