2012 GT - VPI on Classic College Football Tonight ESPNU 9:00pm est

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Hope Sisk has a better S & C program than last year's...we looked gassed in many games last season.
One thing to note is that Sisk was hired June 2012 so he didn't have much time with the guys for last season. Some of #TheProcess videos highlighted the work that Sisk has done with the players though. So I'm looking forward to seeing how our guys hold up conditioning-wise.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If we're going to criticize last year's defense, there's plenty of material. But, this probably isn't the best game to find it. We actually played pretty good defense in this game, which is why we even had a chance to win in the fourth quarter. Now, VT's offensive ineptitude may have been the bigger factor there, but either way we didn't look bad for most of that game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to make clear it is the scheme and not the players. Also, VT's offense was very bad and helped our defense look ok. I did notice Hunt Days having a good game. After the first few series of Thomas running, our D starting attacking a bit more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Being tired/gassed at the end of games, shoot, even the beginning of games is very telling. Groh's scheme was difficult to sub for. Roof's scheme will be much easier to get fresh guys in. Also, CPJ noted that this team looked to be in the best shape of any of his GT teams post summer conditioning. Good stuff!

NPH, NOBODY PLAYS HARDER!

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want to say a few things regarding Tevin Washington. Had we been able to stop VT from getting into FG range (which we should have!), that last drive by Tevin would have gone down as his most clutch performance of his career.

Tevin gets a lot of crap, but he showed steady improvement every year. He also had the highest single season passing percentage by a starting GT QB since 2002 (that's right, since AJ Suggs, let that sync in). He went from 41% to 49% to 56%. He surpassed all of his physical limitations and was able to lead/colead some of the most prolific offenses that we've seen on the Flats.

Don't get me wrong, I am super excited about Vad and JT. Also, I wish Vad could have legitimately beaten out Tevin during the bowl game and lead us to scoring drive after scoring drive. At the same time, I'm glad Tevin got to go out a winner and gave a tough performance buoyed by our defense's tremendous game against USC.

I wish we could have held on for those 44 seconds. Then more fans would have a better memory of Tevin. He wasn't a clutch player, but that was a clutch performance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a more seasoned Vad (and eventually JT) have to offer.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I just want to say a few things regarding Tevin Washington. Had we been able to stop VT from getting into FG range (which we should have!), that last drive by Tevin would have gone down as his most clutch performance of his career.

Tevin gets a lot of crap, but he showed steady improvement every year. He also had the highest single season passing percentage by a starting GT QB since 2002 (that's right, since AJ Suggs, let that sync in). He went from 41% to 49% to 56%. He surpassed all of his physical limitations and was able to lead/colead some of the most prolific offenses that we've seen on the Flats.

Don't get me wrong, I am super excited about Vad and JT. Also, I wish Vad could have legitimately beaten out Tevin during the bowl game and lead us to scoring drive after scoring drive. At the same time, I'm glad Tevin got to go out a winner and gave a tough performance buoyed by our defense's tremendous game against USC.

I wish we could have held on for those 44 seconds. Then more fans would have a better memory of Tevin. He wasn't a clutch player, but that was a clutch performance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a more seasoned Vad (and eventually JT) have to offer.
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Tevin did it right, and because of that, he's one of my favorites. I hope he finds great success in life after GT. I have a feeling he will. Maybe he could end up in the CPJ option coaching tree, if he doesn't choose the business route.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we're going to criticize last year's defense, there's plenty of material. But, this probably isn't the best game to find it. We actually played pretty good defense in this game, which is why we even had a chance to win in the fourth quarter. Now, VT's offensive ineptitude may have been the bigger factor there, but either way we didn't look bad for most of that game.

We did play good D for three quarters. VPI gained more yards in the 4th quarter against us (172) than in the previous 3 combined (131). By quarter we allowed, 74, 64, -7, and 172. In comparison, by quarter, they allowed: 30, 72, 85, 76. The reason why Groh was fired was because he couldn't field a 4qtr D. I think cyp highlighted this problem from cfbmatrix or someplace for 2011.