2008 Preseason Predictions for Georgia Tech

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
One topic I'm finding interesting re: next year is how folks recall the 2008 season and transition in hindsight. Specifically, what were the expectations going in?

Speaking for myself only, I recall most pundits and fans believing the challenges were too great to successfully transition to the Paul Johnson offense and be productive in year 1. My recollection is that many (most?) predictions suggested our bowl streak would end because it was just too drastic of a change in offenses, particularly coming off a 2007 season that produced just 7 wins.***

This is despite having 1 year of Josh Nesbitt, Jon Dwyer and the 2007 class already in the books. We and the media knew about our single top 25 class, and about a defensive lineman named Michael Johnson who was projected to be a top NFL pick, yet expectations were extremely low. Specifically, we were predicted 4th out of 6 in the Coastal, and that's with Duke being the Duke we came to love and take for granted.

Now, retrospectively, there is chatter about the talent Gailey left behind. I think that's a reasonable take, but this post is meant to draw a clear distinction and emphasize "retrospectively". Because prior to September 2008 it seemed to the majority that the talent on campus could not overcome the transition in year 1 of new coach/radically new scheme. We had a number of players not suited for the new scheme, many needing to play out of position, linemen not tailored to the offense, etc.

Do folks remember 2008 expectations differently? Were the media and fans just wrong about the talent on campus? Could we be wrong again?

***It was surprisingly difficult to dig up anything near reputable online content from 2008, but here's one that I found.
Bleacher Report College Football: 2008 ACC Preview
The 'Rambling Wreck' only returns nine starters from a 7-6 campaign. They are introducing a new coach, albeit a good one, in Paul Johnson, and they will be breaking in a new QB, RB, and an entire secondary.

Josh Nesbitt and Jonathan Dwyer (QB, RB) could be something special, but they are only sophomores amongst a very inexperienced team. Just ask Notre Dame how well that went for them last year.

Throw in the loss of stud LB Philip Wheeler, along with their top four tacklers from last year, and this has nothing but rebuilding year written all over it.
Paul Johnson will get these guys to compete, but there are too many more talented and experienced teams in the ACC for coaching to overcome. They also play Virginia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, and Georgia on the road.
A .500 season should put Coach Johnson in line for "Coach of the Year" honors. I don't see that happening.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Expectations were quite low due to transition, significant amount of attrition, very little offensive depth, and a disastrous spring game.

Defense was great though, and helped us get off to a respectable start. Offensive never really clicked that year u til the very end, but we had the advantage of teams not knowing how to defend us — which led to a lot of big plays.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
One topic I'm finding interesting re: next year is how folks recall the 2008 season and transition in hindsight. Specifically, what were the expectations going in?

Speaking for myself only, I recall most pundits and fans believing the challenges were too great to successfully transition to the Paul Johnson offense and be productive in year 1. My recollection is that many (most?) predictions suggested our bowl streak would end because it was just too drastic of a change in offenses, particularly coming off a 2007 season that produced just 7 wins.***

This is despite having 1 year of Josh Nesbitt, Jon Dwyer and the 2007 class already in the books. We and the media knew about our single top 25 class, and about a defensive lineman named Michael Johnson who was projected to be a top NFL pick, yet expectations were extremely low. Specifically, we were predicted 4th out of 6 in the Coastal, and that's with Duke being the Duke we came to love and take for granted.

Now, retrospectively, there is chatter about the talent Gailey left behind. I think that's a reasonable take, but this post is meant to draw a clear distinction and emphasize "retrospectively". Because prior to September 2008 it seemed to the majority that the talent on campus could not overcome the transition in year 1 of new coach/radically new scheme. We had a number of players not suited for the new scheme, many needing to play out of position, linemen not tailored to the offense, etc.

Do folks remember 2008 expectations differently? Were the media and fans just wrong about the talent on campus? Could we be wrong again?

***It was surprisingly difficult to dig up anything near reputable online content from 2008, but here's one that I found.
Bleacher Report College Football: 2008 ACC Preview
I wonder what the predictions for Georgia Tech were in 2002 Chan Gailey's first season at GT?:cigar:

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember when the 2008 spring game looked so bad, Paul Johnson effectively turned it into practice and stood behind the offense.

In any case, I can't even predict spring practice. I think I'll have a better feel for predictions once the depth chart is set.