2008, 2011, and 2014 all had new starting QBs

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mark Bradly's new column ....was his column more of a back handed complement born of frustration in trying to decided GT's fate? I thought his supporting evidence could have used more thought than GT has a new QB and so does everyone else, along with a favorable schedule.

GT has a excellent record with new starting QBs (depending on what you consider excellent).

2008 was 9 and 3
2011 was 8 and 4
2014 was 10 and 2

Now here you could mention that the possible starting QB played a full game and won against a very good defensive team... a team that normally stone walls GT's offense.

His second reason was a favorable schedule (from hell). GT's two toughest opponents only have home field advantage and a week off before the game. I think a better backing would be to state VT and UNC are homes games and they are replacing many positions. But counter the pervious statement with the first statement.

The OL is the biggest chance to continue success and that complete line was tested against a very good VT team in 2016. This is the first year where I think each individual OL player will match the sum of the whole. The risk here is depth.

Offensive skill positions are solid and more than just solid. Experienced Juniors and Seniors and some game changing Sophomores. Here would be a good time to look at Mills and Lynch's achievements in 2016.

The DB have a lot of solid proven talent. The big question mark in GT's ceiling is the LB and DL. Who will stand out or what unit will change the game? All that defensive possibility is framed with a possible offense in the top 20. Can the defense improve an FEI of 18 points to mach a 76 rank of 2014 ?

9 and 3 is more likely than 7 and 5 given GT's history and GT's current starting parameters.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The 2014 ol that was dominant at end of year had most of players returning in 15.
By end of 15 most of ol had been replaced by younger more athletic players.
In 17 We continue to get more athletic in ol .

With some luck the freshmen backs and wr that fought hard in 15 will be grizzled juniors this year. It could be really good and I look forward to finishing strong at end of year

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you remember the 2013 OL? That was no prediction for 2014. Shaq made the sum of whole greater than the parts.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Shaq Mason is a starting guard on the Super Bowl champions he made our line great with everything we did with him in fact I read an article on him that said the patriots see him as an All Pro level player next year

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 16 can't we give coach credit for an ol that in spite of being VERY YOUNG was great fun to watch and played DAMN well? After 15 coach said he would be measured by how he "fixed things". We ended 16 w super young ol dominating in gator bowl. IT'S FIXED.

Will Bryan is our anchor who does the unseen key blocks "like" shaq. With 2 years left he will be so special and parker running amok. Enjoy

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Shaq Mason is a starting guard on the Super Bowl champions he made our line great with everything we did with him in fact I read an article on him that said the patriots see him as an All Pro level player next year

an All-pro guard in the 4th round. A first ballot HOF QB and arguably the GOAT in the 6th round. The Patriots just understand FB in a way that others don't.. In the NFL, it's not the players that win championships consistently, it's the front office that does.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
On a somewhat related subject, does anyone know how MJ is progressing from his injury? Also not exactly sure what his injury was.....

Just a thought about 2008 and 2009. Yes we won a lot of games with some good talent from that 2007 recruiting class. But what I remember is the bowl games where a very stout LSU D line and Iowa line stuffed us. This of course plays to the theme that to beat CPJ this is how you do it. But I have a different thought on this. Yes we had some talent but the O lineman were not CPJ O lineman. They were recruited for pass blocking and zone schemes. As time has gone on CPJ has put in his type of line. Forget 2015 because we had to replace 10 offensive starters. I would be curios to see how we do against a stout line. Clemson last year year maybe that was the d line but I am not so sure.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just a thought about 2008 and 2009. Yes we won a lot of games with some good talent from that 2007 recruiting class. But what I remember is the bowl games where a very stout LSU D line and Iowa line stuffed us. This of course plays to the theme that to beat CPJ this is how you do it. But I have a different thought on this. Yes we had some talent but the O lineman were not CPJ O lineman. They were recruited for pass blocking and zone schemes. As time has gone on CPJ has put in his type of line. Forget 2015 because we had to replace 10 offensive starters. I would be curios to see how we do against a stout line. Clemson last year year maybe that was the d line but I am not so sure.
I thought I remembered our special teams being the problem against LSU. You maybe right about Iowa, but a 270lb BBack didn't help in that game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
In 16 can't we give coach credit for an ol that in spite of being VERY YOUNG was great fun to watch and played DAMN well? After 15 coach said he would be measured by how he "fixed things". We ended 16 w super young ol dominating in gator bowl. IT'S FIXED.

Will Bryan is our anchor who does the unseen key blocks "like" shaq. With 2 years left he will be so special and parker running amok. Enjoy
Those blocks may be "unseen" by the casual fan but I guarantee you that flea is watching every block and probably taking notes. TIC When I watch the replays courtesy of Longest Day and MBob I look at the linemen as much as the screen permits and yes, Will makes more than his share of the unseen blocks.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradly's new column ....was his column more of a back handed complement born of frustration in trying to decided GT's fate? I thought his supporting evidence could have used more thought than GT has a new QB and so does everyone else, along with a favorable schedule.

GT has a excellent record with new starting QBs (depending on what you consider excellent).

2008 was 9 and 3
2011 was 8 and 4
2014 was 10 and 2

Now here you could mention that the possible starting QB played a full game and won against a very good defensive team... a team that normally stone walls GT's offense.

His second reason was a favorable schedule (from hell). GT's two toughest opponents only have home field advantage and a week off before the game. I think a better backing would be to state VT and UNC are homes games and they are replacing many positions. But counter the pervious statement with the first statement.

The OL is the biggest chance to continue success and that complete line was tested against a very good VT team in 2016. This is the first year where I think each individual OL player will match the sum of the whole. The risk here is depth.

Offensive skill positions are solid and more than just solid. Experienced Juniors and Seniors and some game changing Sophomores. Here would be a good time to look at Mills and Lynch's achievements in 2016.

"favorable schedule"? ANY schedule that features Tennessee, UGA, Virginia Tech, Clemson, UNC, Miami, and Pitt is hardly favorable even tossing out the usual ACC shenanigans. Favorable, I suppose in that we don't have to play FSU or Louisville but other than that this is not a schedule that features cupcakes by any stretch. The ACC is no longer anyone's punching bag. Mr. Bradley should know as an informed member of the Fourth Estate that the good old days of total SEC dominance during the 1990s and turn of the century are long gone.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

"Stout lines" do you say? You want stout lines check out any number of games against Virginia Tech (Our Bbacks probably still have nightmares of Luther Maddy) Pitt with Aaron Douglas, UNC with Christ alone knows how many All American and All ACC types running around, UGA, Clemson, FSU, Miami. Heavens the ACC is full of defensive line talent every year. We finally get rid of Luther Maddy, and his playmates like Kam Chancellor and damn if they don't recruit another fire plug that moves almost as well. It's a wonder Coach Sewark (spelling?) hasn't been found with a couple bottles of Tennessee whiskey, surrounded by a cloud of marijuana just trying to cope with the stress.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If our defense can play like 2008 then 9-3 is definitely possible but I just don’t think our offense was overly great that year outside of the last 2 games against Miami and uga.