2 point conversion attempts and Strategy under CPJ

BigJacket

Banned
I don't have the facts/stats to back it up, but it seems like we are horrendous on our 2 point conversion attempts year in and year out with CPJ at the helm. His strategy for chasing points too early in games has always baffled me too, and I was yelling at the TV last night please don't go for two at start of 3rd quarter.

CPJ even said in his post game press conference that's he's been coaching way too long to start chasing points that early. I think he's just so confident in his system and play calling that he gets caught up sometimes and can't help himself from being so aggressive and leads to him chasing points early in games.

I recall three 2 point attempts this year and none have even been close to working out. I am curious to know our conversion ratio under CPJ, I would be willing to bet we have < 25% success rate under CPJ.

Any of you X and O guys have an explanation for our lack of success at 2 point attempts? Bad play calling or are we just failing to execute every time? This seems to be an area of weakness under CPJ that needs to have some more practice time devoted to it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The first attempt last night made sense. The second was silly. If you go up 2 right there your next score makes it a two score game.

As for the failures, I thought the play against Tennessee would have worked if Taquon pitched it. Same with the first attempt last night (maybe more of a long shot).

But here’s the thing in those situations...even if you’re not sure on the pitch, but you realize you can’t get it yourself, you’ve got to pitch it. It’s one down...only bad thing that can happen is a scoop score for two. If he gets the ball out against TN Benson scores and we win...last night, maybe...

Three 2-point conversion attempts this year, and on each of them Taquon made a bad decision. Not slamming Taquon in the least, but how does he make such good decisions up and down the field and such poor decisions on 2-pointers? He should have pitched in the Tenn game. I forget now just how the first one last night played out last night, but either he should have pitched (if he didn't), or he should have kept it (if he pitched). The second one IIRC he passed the ball, but he passed to the wrong man. But we won, so it really doesn't matter now.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we need some different play calls for 2 point conversions. Have to go against your tendency and we just run the same old stuff. Our blocking sucks on those we have attempted so far.

Go Jackets!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys should really listen to the post game presser. PJ specifically said that the first attempt was a mistake and then you’re chasing those point forever. He also said that we didn’t run the 2 plays on the conversion attempts correctly.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
"Ithink he's just so confident in his system and play calling that he gets caught up sometimes and can't help himself frombeing so aggressive and leads to him chasing points early in games."

I think this staement nails it, CPJ knows that if everyone executes his plays will score, everytime.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
imo coach definitely messed up when we kicked the extra point when we were sitting on 31 mo. if there was a time for a two point conversion it was then.

we are leading 25-24. we score a td making it a 7 point game 31-24 BEFORE the blocked extra point. we are one score ahead. even if we make that kick we are ONLY 8 points ahead. STILL a one score game. had we gone for two we could had a lead of 9 with 11 minutes to go. a two score game.

Last edited:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Never go for two until it is game deciding time in thee 4th quarter. Until then score as many points and as easily as you can.
Many staffs meet and write down the circumstances in a game when they will go for two. Give it to an assistant and it his his call subject
to being overruled.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I adopted my moniker back in Chan's day because he kept trying 2 point conversions and wouldn't trust to the occasional field goal.

I was right then and I'm still right, imho. Never. Leave. Points. On. The. Field. Period. Full Stop. Does this mean I'm against two-point conversions attempts? Yes, unless you have to have the two points to win the game. So, for instance, I both understood and agreed with the decision to go for 2 against UT. Best to roll the dice and end it, one way or the other, in that situation. But … If we had (ahem) taken the points last night and not gone for two, we would have had little to fear from the late WF drive that we ended at our 34. They would have needed two scores to beat us and we were moving the ball (quite well, as the next play from scrimmage showed).

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys should really listen to the post game presser. PJ specifically said that the first attempt was a mistake and then you’re chasing those point forever. He also said that we didn’t run the 2 plays on the conversion attempts correctly.

Going so early in the game is silly, but not crazy. Going for the second 2-pt is where you start to look like you’re chasing points. You have to make your mind up once that you’re going for two the first time and you’re not going to chase to get the point back. The only time it makes sense after that is late in the game to get a certain lead...but certainly not in the third quarter.