2 More Years Probation?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/ncaa-investigation-cites-tech-for-failure-to-monit/ng7QD/

Largely due to a failure to keep records of phone calls and the rogue actions of a former football assistant coach, Georgia Tech has been censured by the NCAA for an failure to monitor. The school also self-imposed two years of additional probation following the four-year probation it received after the NCAA’s investigation into the improper benefits received by a former football player, Demaryius Thomas.

This is comical considering what's going on at other places. Someone needs to have to nads to call the NCAA out on this nonsense.

On a related note, so we get the front page on ajc.com for this and the arrest, huh? I see you workin' ajc.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
Noob question... more years? I knew about the title game, but what is the probation do? It doesn't seem to affect recruiting or the post-season, and the article wasn't specific.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Noob question... more years? I knew about the title game, but what is the probation do? It doesn't seem to affect recruiting or the post-season, and the article wasn't specific.

Hopefully someone else chimes in but I vaguely remember the original 4yr probation being an extension of probation we were already under. (Is that right?) If we get in enough trouble while under probation it elevates the punishment since we'd be a 'repeat offender' or STTE.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like we are on "perma-probation". When's the last year we weren't in some sort of trouble?

This is unacceptable for a school of Tech's high standards. Clearly we don't WANT to do things the wrong way, so why does it keep happening? I hope whoever else (besides DRad) that had anything to do with this is gone - if not, they need to be fired.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It seems like we are on "perma-probation". When's the last year we weren't in some sort of trouble?

This is unacceptable for a school of Tech's high standards. Clearly we don't WANT to do things the wrong way, so why does it keep happening? I hope whoever else (besides DRad) that had anything to do with this is gone - if not, they need to be fired.

That's the hypocrisy of it all. We've committed minor violations every few years and, bam, extend their probation. It makes us appear to be some kind of rogue programs when that's not the case.