2-5 in OT

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Under Paul Johnson, we are 2-5 in OT. You would think with the nature of our offense and the rules of college OT, we would fair a little better. Anyone who knows more of the Xs and Os have any thoughts on this?

The Utah game was similar to tonight. Missed a game winning kick in regulation to win and lost on a gamble(though it was 4th down).

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Bad defenses

Pretty much sums it up. For instance, last night:

In both overtimes, UT went 25 yards in 3 plays for a TD. We knew we couldn't stop them, so we went for 2 to finish it off.

Now, could we have played the odds a little better, and waited until OT required us to go for 2 after each TD? Sure. But given our defense's performance, I was less certain we would get back with another TD on the next one. Best to call in a play you should make work, and go for it. (Unfortunately, we had new players + players who were rusty at the start of the year - which meant we didn't execute the way we should have on the last play.)

Sucks, but really, the issue on most of our OT appearances isn't that our offense has made mistakes - it's that our D has made too many mistakes.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
maybe it's confirmation bias but it seems like when we go to OT it's because we blew a lead and limped into it and then lost. UGA 2013, Utah, and last night come to mind. Miami was a weird one because we both managed to blow double digit leads in that game. The one that sticks out that we played hard to get to OT coming from behind was 2014 UGA when we won. Idk maybe we are just getting stuck in OT games where we have sputtered and run out of gas

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
maybe it's confirmation bias but it seems like when we go to OT it's because we blew a lead and limped into it and then lost. UGA 2013, Utah, and last night come to mind. Miami was a weird one because we both managed to blow double digit leads in that game. The one that sticks out that we played hard to get to OT coming from behind was 2014 UGA when we won. Idk maybe we are just getting stuck in OT games where we have sputtered and run out of gas

If I remember correctly, the Wake win in OT was a similar situation. Weren't they ahead most of the game or am I remembering wrong?