1990 National Champs vs This year schedule?

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
The college game has changed a lot since 1990. Instead of focus on strength and power, speed and precision rule today. How would our National Championship 1990 team do vs our schedule this year? What would our record be? My guess 10-2.

What say you?

The college game has changed a lot since 1990. Instead of focus on strength and power, speed and precision rule today. How would our National Championship 1990 team do vs our schedule this year? What would our record be? My guess 10-2.

What say you?
Who are the 2? Clemson and Georgia? No way that team would have lost to the mutts, and they would have given Clemson the fight of their lives.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Who are the 2? Clemson and Georgia? No way that team would have lost to the mutts, and they would have given Clemson the fight of their lives.

I think current Clemson would beat us and one other slip up during the year possibly Georgia, but our 1990 team was on a roll at the end of the year. More likely a mid year out of nowhere loss. That team had a few close calls…21-19 vs unranked Clemson…13-13 tie vs unranked NC and an ugly 6-3 vs unranked Virginia Tech.

I think current Clemson would beat us and one other slip up during the year possibly Georgia, but our 1990 team was on a roll at the end of the year. More likely a mid year out of nowhere loss. That team had a few close calls…21-19 vs unranked Clemson…13-13 tie vs unranked NC and an ugly 6-3 vs unranked Virginia Tech.
Almost every great team has some slip ups along the way. The tie with UNC that year was inexcusable, and that to-the-end struggle with VT was SCARY !!! But I think they could hold their own against both the mutts and the tigers of today and would definitely beat the mutts.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson might have been unranked when played them but they ended the season 10-2 and ranked #9. Their two losses were to us and UVA (if you remember they were pretty good that year).
That VPI game was after the emotional win over UVA, on a cold wet day, with a less than reported less than excited crowd. The one to point to that year was UNC, although if Willie Clay just lets the punt go inside the 10 then we could've won that day too.

Edited to add - Clemson was #15 when we played them.

That 1990 team got better every week. georgie wanted no part of us, even with Walter Payton on their sideline (he knew one of their coaches but I did get to shake his hand).

11-0-1 except the tie would be with Dook
It is funny you say that for all the Duke mystery that bothers this board. In 1990 we had a great defense, however there were two teams whose offense gave us fits, UVA and....Duke. Spurier was gone but they were still doing the dink and dunk passing game that we could not stop. We won 48-31. Also for the VT game for clarification. VT was not a bad team and we did play them right after the UVA game. It was not raining, fact beautiful day, just cold with wind gusts up to 35 miles per hour.

That year we played 8 teams that went to a bowl game,,,,,,compared to UGA 1980, they played 4.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is funny you say that for all the Duke mystery that bothers this board. In 1990 we had a great defense, however there were two teams whose offense gave us fits, UVA and....Duke. Spurier was gone but they were still doing the dink and dunk passing game that we could not stop. We won 48-31. Also for the VT game for clarification. VT was not a bad team and we did play them right after the UVA game. It was not raining, fact beautiful day, just cold with wind gusts up to 35 miles per hour.

That year we played 8 teams that went to a bowl game,,,,,,compared to UGA 1980, they played 4.
Ironically neither us or the Pups were bowl eligible when the other won their championship

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think you would have to give those players the same training and “supplements” for a year to compete with the athleticism of players in 2019.

Isn’t the size difference from then to now somewhat substantial? The OL And DL lines of Alabama, Clemson and UGA are monsters.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you would have to give those players the same training and “supplements” for a year to compete with the athleticism of players in 2019.

Isn’t the size difference from then to now somewhat substantial? The OL And DL lines of Alabama, Clemson and UGA are monsters.
So were our lines that year and Clemson's as well.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm. Interesting. I guess I’m thinking of a much longer time ago.
I'll give some real stats, not program numbers. LT 6'7" 340#, RT 6'6" 300#, C 6'3" 310#, 1Tech 6'6" 325#, 3Tech 6'2" 290, 4Tech 6'4" 265. The 2 OG were around 280# and could pull either way. 280 to 285 was normal size OL back then. Also, our safeties were 6'2"220# and 6'3" 236#. The 2 OLB were Marco Coleman who played at 255# and Marlon Williams who ran a 4.40 forty.

slugboy

Staff member
I think they’d have had a hard time starting off with Clemson. Not that they couldn’t beat them—they just got better as the year went along.
Maybe with a chip on their shoulders they could knock off Clemson and roll from there.
I’d see Georgia as a win, and dominant for the rest of the schedule
We’d get a second shot at Clemson in the ACC championship. That game would be INTENSE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It might be entertaining to mentally create such matchups, but let's not kid ourselves. 30 years have gone by and players are bigger and stronger and faster generally, and a great 1990 team is no going to beat a great 2019 team, not 22 deep. An individual here and there certainly, just not 11 per side of the ball. They just won't.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It might be entertaining to mentally create such matchups, but let's not kid ourselves. 30 years have gone by and players are bigger and stronger and faster generally, and a great 1990 team is no going to beat a great 2019 team, not 22 deep. An individual here and there certainly, just not 11 per side of the ball. They just won't.
That’s kinda my thinking as well. The cornerbacks these days(especially for Clemson) are long rangy and super fast.