1990 25th Anniversary Tribute Video

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
that was a nasty team with a great coach. Not one single weakness. I (selfishly and) sincerely hope that you younger fans get a chance to see first hand what a NC team looks like and/or a Gt team as good as that one. That team would have benefitted immensely from a 4 team playoff. I will say, last year's Ol line was close to being on the same level as their '90 counterparts. and the WR's were as good as/if not better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Man that was great! Big ol' shouldamapads... unis were simple yet elegant... those guys really embodied the word "team." I cringed every time I saw someone get tackled on that concrete covered in plastic wrap. Ow.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
that was a nasty team with a great coach. Not one single weakness. I (selfishly and) sincerely hope that you younger fans get a chance to see first hand what a NC team looks like and/or a Gt team as good as that one. That team would have benefitted immensely from a 4 team playoff. I will say, last year's Ol line was close to being on the same level as their '90 counterparts. and the WR's were as good as/if not better.
I agree with everything you said except the last part. The 90 team had at least four great receivers. The were all burners, had great hands and could catch in traffic. Nobody was able to cover them that season. I especially remember the Georgia game. Georgia was playing supper aggressively, smacking Tech in the mouth and recovering fumbles early in the game. They got a lead and decided they would stuff the run and cover the short passing routes. Bad mistake. Tech's receivers burned them over and over on long routes on the way to a blowout.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with everything you said except the last part. The 90 team had at least four great receivers. The were all burners, had great hands and could catch in traffic. Nobody was able to cover them that season. I especially remember the Georgia game. Georgia was playing supper aggressively, smacking Tech in the mouth and recovering fumbles early in the game. They got a lead and decided they would stuff the run and cover the short passing routes. Bad mistake. Tech's receivers burned them over and over on long routes on the way to a blowout.

Bobby Rodriguez, "Speed" Merchant, Gilchrist & Lester with Covington as TE. Indeed a great unit and far deeper than last year's squad overall. But I think Waller and Smelter were at least the equal of the top 2 of that unit as reflected by the NFL draft. I will concede your point if looking at overall depth/ability.

as far as the Ga. game, I was there in Athens as perhaps you were as well. Ga. was clearly overwhelmed physically in that game. Despite their early lead, I don't think anyone in that stadium really doubted the final outcome

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Rodriguez, "Speed" Merchant, Gilchrist & Lester with Covington as TE. Indeed a great unit and far deeper than last year's squad overall. But I think Waller and Smelter were at least the equal of the top 2 of that unit as reflected by the NFL draft. I will concede your point if looking at overall depth/ability.

as far as the Ga. game, I was there in Athens as perhaps you were as well. Ga. was clearly overwhelmed physically in that game. Despite their early lead, I don't think anyone in that stadium really doubted the final outcome
Yes, and agreed all the way around.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Rodriguez, "Speed" Merchant, Gilchrist & Lester with Covington as TE.
One other memory. Lester was rated by Sporting News the number one freshman receiver in the nation. He got injured and when he got back to full speed in '90 he was still great but now considered the third or fourth best receiver on the team. Rodriguez was my personal favorite but they were all good.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Great video. All those wonderful memories. Except for a fifth down, that team would have been the unanimous NC.
The Fifth Down Game was a college football game that included a play that the crew officiating the game permitted to occur in error. That play enabled the Colorado Buffaloes to defeat the Missouri Tigersby scoring a touchdown on the last play of their game on October 6, 1990. The ensuing controversy cast doubt on Colorado's claim to Division I-A's 1990 national championship, which it shares with theGeorgia Tech Yellow Jackets. It has been called one of the top memorable moments and blunders in college football history.[