1970 Tech Football

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I attended the Tulane game as a Highschool Jr. on the sidelines. Perdoni's dad was there and sat with him on the bench. I rained, it seemed like, the entire game and at one point Perdoni came over to me and gave me a towel to dry off.
That game had rain like the '71 Peach Bowl. There was a great picture from that game of our starting center, John Callan, sitting on the sideline nursing a bad ankle & ankle deep in water. IIRC, Callan's roomie, Rick Lewis, had a couple of Pick-Sixes & we won.

UT had 3 blocking Perdoni that day.

The Kell-Perdoni battles were fun to watch in the film room on Monday. If UT used 3 to block Rock, at least one was Chip and another was Phil Fulmer.

Rock & Chip were of similar size & strength, though Chip was almost raised in a weight room by his Murphy High Coach dad - Rock was naturally strong & became even stronger once in the GT S&C program. Rock said then it took about 4 or 5 days for his hands & wrists to recover from those games. And as good as they were on the field, both Chip & Rock are even better off it. Chip coached HS ball in the Dalton area for many, many years without near the success his dad had as a Ga HS HoFer. And Rock is now retired & back in the Atlanta area, living on a farm after many years back in the Boston area with his construction business.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
There was a great picture from that game of our starting center, John Callan, sitting on the sideline nursing a bad ankle & ankle deep in water.
10177785.jpg

From the '71 Blueprint

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That game had rain like the '71 Peach Bowl. There was a great picture from that game of our starting center, John Callan, sitting on the sideline nursing a bad ankle & ankle deep in water. IIRC, Callan's roomie, Rick Lewis, had a couple of Pick-Sixes & we won.

The Kell-Perdoni battles were fun to watch in the film room on Monday. If UT used 3 to block Rock, at least one was Chip and another was Phil Fulmer.

Rock & Chip were of similar size & strength, though Chip was almost raised in a weight room by his Murphy High Coach dad - Rock was naturally strong & became even stronger once in the GT S&C program. Rock said then it took about 4 or 5 days for his hands & wrists to recover from those games. And as good as they were on the field, both Chip & Rock are even better off it. Chip coached HS ball in the Dalton area for many, many years without near the success his dad had as a Ga HS HoFer. And Rock is now retired & back in the Atlanta area, living on a farm after many years back in the Boston area with his construction business.
The reporting at the time said Perdoni was a body builder. Carson referred to him as “the finest physical specimen he had ever seen.”

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
The reporting at the time said Perdoni was a body builder. Carson referred to him as “the finest physical specimen he had ever seen.”
Compared to the rest of us he was a body builder. Will ask him next time I see him. But IIRC he was pretty raw in the weight room (actually the Crenshaw Bldg behind The Varsity) when he showed up from Ferrum JC.

Tommy Beck, AKA "Boom Boom", was the first to really have been a trained lifter when he came from Cedartown.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Numbers were limited after Johnny Majors signed 73 his 1st year at Pitt. I think that was 1973.
That must have been the year Clemson signed over 50. Last year it was allowed. I was a senior and my brother in law was a freshman at Clemson. He made friends with a kid who was a freshman signee.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I attended the Tulane game as a Highschool Jr. on the sidelines. Perdoni's dad was there and sat with him on the bench. I rained, it seemed like, the entire game and at one point Perdoni came over to me and gave me a towel to dry off.

Well remember that game. It rained the entire game. In those days I thought it was mandatory to drink at the game which of course would make the rain more bearable. Well, my wife, at the time allowed my pint of Jack Daniels to fall from her purse and smash onto the pavement of the ramp going up to the top deck. I resigned my self to watch the whole game in the rain whiskeyless! Toward the end of the 3rd quarter, with the rain beating down, I uttered the tragic words, "Well, it can't rain any harder". And sure enough it did!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well remember that game. It rained the entire game. In those days I thought it was mandatory to drink at the game which of course would make the rain more bearable. Well, my wife, at the time allowed my pint of Jack Daniels to fall from her purse and smash onto the pavement of the ramp going up to the top deck. I resigned my self to watch the whole game in the rain whiskeyless! Toward the end of the 3rd quarter, with the rain beating down, I uttered the tragic words, "Well, it can't rain any harder". And sure enough it did!
The tragedies of youth.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I was in the dorm with Rick Lewis, a good guy.I STILL have a music album of his that I borrowed from that era. -Righteous Bros--Those were good times. Beating uga was the best that yr.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Peach Bowl has been mentioned several times. I attended the first five games, all miserable weather. Rained cats and dogs for LSU vs FSU and Tech vs Ole Miss, and UNC vs AZ State featured a momentary blizzard. Cold and wet is my memory of the Peach Bowl but generally had good crowds given the weather.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
My first of about 250 games was during this season against Tennessee. I was looking forward to watching Brent Cunningham follow his 200+ yard game against Clemson.
Sadly, he was injured and done on the opening kickoff and I never saw him play. Tennessee future College Hall of Famer Chip Kell got the best of All Anerican Rock Perdoni on this day.
I recall the massive number of players Tennessee had on the sideline.

Hmmm,,, I was a freshman when we played Tennessee in 70, & recall that Perdoni beat Kell like a drum that game!?!
Maybe it was wishful thinking??
I remember my frat brothers & I thought Perdoni was tremendously large! (Not tall!) In this day & age I guess he would be small for the defensive line!!

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmm,,, I was a freshman when we played Tennessee in 70, & recall that Perdoni beat Kell like a drum that game!?!
Maybe it was wishful thinking??
I remember my frat brothers & I thought Perdoni was tremendously large! (Not tall!) In this day & age I guess he would be small for the defensive line!!
After I wrote that, I figured folks would think I meant he played bad. I didn't hear his number called often and he was the one a kid was listening for! UT had a lot more players and the game just didn't compare to all the ones before it. I'd love to look at defensive stats, but as you know, they aren't easy to find from back then.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was up at USCe for grad school at the time and worked out three days a week at the local Y in Columbia. One day Poston (6'4", 290), Ganis (6'4" 280), and Dykes (6'4" 295), all starting USCe football players, came in to watch. I knew Ganis from high school so I said "Hi, Rusty" and went back to my press warmups. I popped off 6 reps at 205, my usual warmup for presses, and was getting ready for the next set when Dykes came over and tried to clean the weight. He couldn't do it. I repeat: he couldn't do it. At 295. Then Poston came over and tried and he couldn't do it either. Then Rusty came over and clean the weight and did 4 reps; he was the only one who hit the weights at all. I'm not surprised to hear that they ran out of gas in the 4th. Shows how much S&C programs have changed since then.

Btw, at the time I weighed (ahem) 188. I tell you, I was in shape. Unfortunately, those days are gone forever.