1970 Tech Football

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Thanks for posting.... there used to be all those 1970 games posted on YouTube, but evidently someone objected & they disappeared for a while.

That SoCar game was the 2nd hottest game I ever played in - the hottest was the next week vs FSU. Both were 3:30 or 3:45 TV starts - I know, not so special today but ANY TV exposure was big then - with field temps, even on the natural grass at Grant Field, about 104 or so both weekends.

The heat played a big part in the SoCar game as their two big DTs wilted.

As for Harkey, that little flat pass he caught 14 times was a new wrinkle 50 years ago & went a long way to getting him drafted by the Jets

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting.... there used to be all those 1970 games posted on YouTube, but evidently someone objected & they disappeared for a while.

That SoCar game was the 2nd hottest game I ever played in - the hottest was the next week vs FSU. Both were 3:30 or 3:45 TV starts - I know, not so special today but ANY TV exposure was big then - with field temps, even on the natural grass at Grant Field, about 104 or so both weekends.

As for Harkey, that little flat pass he caught 14 times was a new wrinkle 50 years ago & went a long way to getting him drafted by the Jets
I was there. I started my freshman year a couple of weeks later at a school about 70 miles from Atlanta.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I was there too.albeit in the stands. The game I remember most vividly was the Notre Dame game. It wasn't televised in Atlanta, as best I recall. I know I had to listen on the radio. All I remember was that Notre Dame kept trying to run on 3rd and short (and even 4th and short, iirc) and our D line led by Rock Perdoni kept stonewalling them. Until that 4th quarter drive. You knew then it was ovah, as our offense never generated ANY threat outside of that one long pass. Nevertheless I was very proud of the way the team fought that day.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
That SoCar game was the 2nd hottest game I ever played in - the hottest was the next week vs FSU. Both were 3:30 or 3:45 TV starts -

My first game as a Tech student. I went with my Dad, and it's still a memory for me. South Carolina was ranked and they thought they were going to have a special year, but as I recall it didn't work out for them. Tech had a good year under Carson, and was the Sun Bowl champs. Going to a bowl was special in those days too.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was young but had a definite impression or feeling about Tech from the mid 60s up till 1970. The game was changing and Dodd’s teams seemed to be built on speed and finesse. Carson, it seemed at the time, was doing a rebuild focused on hard nosed physical football. I remember vividly both the Norte Dame game and the bowl game with Texas Tech. It almost hurt watching how hard Tech’s defense hit opposing players.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I was there too.albeit in the stands. The game I remember most vividly was the Notre Dame game. It wasn't televised in Atlanta, as best I recall. I know I had to listen on the radio. All I remember was that Notre Dame kept trying to run on 3rd and short (and even 4th and short, iirc) and our D line led by Rock Perdoni kept stonewalling them. Until that 4th quarter drive. You knew then it was ovah, as our offense never generated ANY threat outside of that one long pass. Nevertheless I was very proud of the way the team fought that day.
I also was there. I just remember getting soaked with sweat sitting in the student section.......or was it beer, and drinking 2 or 6 rum and cokes. I was pretty out of it wth booze, heat and the win by the time it was over. Somehow made my way to my apartment on the other end of the tunnel somewhere to get to my AC and a long "nap". What a game !

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Smylie Gebhart ( RIP) , Bubba Hoats , Jeff "the Jet " Ford, Brent Cunningham, +++++++++...........a GREAT Team !!

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
The game I remember most vividly was the Notre Dame game. ......Until that 4th quarter drive.
And that 4th quarter drive by ND in 1970 had a tipping point: IIRC, on 3rd & long from about the ND 30, Joe Theisman found one of his RBs, Ed Gulyas, lying flat on his back about 30 yards downfield & hit him between the numbers of his jersey. The stands go wild & ND goes on to win.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Was Dave Beavin a senior in 1970?

My second year of Tech football. We used to all wear coats and ties, even us kids, My most vivid memory, went on a bus to Athens to see the Tech UGA games.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
PT 1

(25) GT 1970 Highlights #2 - YouTube

Steve Harkey caught everything opening game against Sacker Liner.
My first of about 250 games was during this season against Tennessee. I was looking forward to watching Brent Cunningham follow his 200+ yard game against Clemson.
Sadly, he was injured and done on the opening kickoff and I never saw him play. Tennessee future College Hall of Famer Chip Kell got the best of All Anerican Rock Perdoni on this day.
I recall the massive number of players Tennessee had on the sideline.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My first of about 250 games was during this season against Tennessee. I was looking forward to watching Brent Cunningham follow his 200+ yard game against Clemson.
Sadly, he was injured and done on the opening kickoff and I never saw him play. Tennessee future College Hall of Famer Chip Kell got the best of All Anerican Rock Perdoni on this day.
I recall the massive number of players Tennessee had on the sideline.
UT had 3 blocking Perdoni that day.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
I attended the Tulane game as a Highschool Jr. on the sidelines. Perdoni's dad was there and sat with him on the bench. I rained, it seemed like, the entire game and at one point Perdoni came over to me and gave me a towel to dry off.