150-year College Football Empires (Article)

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan

Attachments

• 906AFDE8-8364-4F8E-B3DE-99F3CF33DF17.jpeg
    906AFDE8-8364-4F8E-B3DE-99F3CF33DF17.jpeg
    820.3 KB · Views: 49

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I generally enjoyed this but being the sensitive Tech fan I wondered why Texas A&M had a larger land grab with their first championship than Tech got with their first championship and why Tech's territorial share did not appreciably grow after the 1990 championship. Also felt like Uga' share was too large given their one championship versus Tech's four.

But fun graphic reminding us that no dominated quite like the Ivy League and especially Princeton.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I doubt many of our younger members of GTSwarm know that GT really used to have a very, very large footprint in the SE US. Many, many radio stations broadcast GT football, and there were so many around the SE that "adopted" GT as their team, even outside of the Georgia borders. In some ways, I know that CGC would like to grow that base again, although I cannot see it ever being like it was in the early 60s. If GT could get 15-25% of GA resident fans (those that care), it would be a MAJOR coup.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I used to really like listening to the Tech game, then to the "Pick of Dixie" game(s) that came on next. You could get that broadcast up in Columbia when I was in grad school at USCe.

Now, however, I doubt if the effort to get something like this started would repay. TV rules and virtually every team out there gets its games broadcast. But I don't know the actual economics on radio or internet broadcasts. Maybe I'm wrong.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I doubt many of our younger members of GTSwarm know that GT really used to have a very, very large footprint in the SE US. Many, many radio stations broadcast GT football, and there were so many around the SE that "adopted" GT as their team, even outside of the Georgia borders. In some ways, I know that CGC would like to grow that base again, although I cannot see it ever being like it was in the early 60s. If GT could get 15-25% of GA resident fans (those that care), it would be a MAJOR coup.
What's sad now is you cant hardly pick up a radio broadcast of a game 50 miles south of atlanta

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Remember that also. Traveling with family as a small child, whether towards Virginia or towards Florida, it always seemed like would could pick up a Tech game on the radio. It was a little like Notre Dame in terms of being a national team. Another thing of the past.

I also remember when the whole country watched the same football games on ABC.