#14 in the country

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
If he's still there at the end of this next 5 game stretch, I'll celebrate with you. But, we haven't exactly faced the stiffest of competition in the first 3 games, so I would expect his numbers to be a bit inflated.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey, I'll take that after the lack of production we've seen the past few years at the QB position. I really feel like we'll see Justin continue to improve. He has yet to get to his full potential - exciting stuff!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If he's still there at the end of this next 5 game stretch, I'll celebrate with you. But, we haven't exactly faced the stiffest of competition in the first 3 games, so I would expect his numbers to be a bit inflated.
Like I said, the numbers are adjusted for quality of competition. In general though, I agree with your sentiments.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, the numbers are adjusted for quality of competition. In general though, I agree with your sentiments.

I think there is a pretty good chance he's going to stay in the neighborhood of where he is because JT can exploit whatever the D gives him. If they clog the box, he can pass; if they pull back, he can run. So, imho, unless our OLine caves (which I don't see happening), he's quick enough and decisive enough to keep doing exactly what he's doing. I'm sure he'll have an off day somewhere but so will the other QBs in his range.

I'm not all that confident of our chances this Saturday for the simple reason that we are going to get snow plowed on Defense but I expect JT to have a pretty good day. That last drive against Georgia Southern bumped him up to another level.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Hey, I'll take that after the lack of production we've seen the past few years at the QB position. I really feel like we'll see Justin continue to improve. He has yet to get to his full potential - exciting stuff!

I don't think that's really fair to Tevin Washington. He may not have been a superstar, but he always performed at 110% (or more) of his "rated" talent level. We racked up a lot of offensive yards and a lot of points under his leadership. It's not his fault that our defense often couldn't keep us in the game.

On-thread: I, too, am really optimistic about the potential that JT brings to our offense this year.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think that's really fair to Tevin Washington. He may not have been a superstar, but he always performed at 110% (or more) of his "rated" talent level. We racked up a lot of offensive yards and a lot of points under his leadership. It's not his fault that our defense often couldn't keep us in the game.

On-thread: I, too, am really optimistic about the potential that JT brings to our offense this year.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. Tevin ran the option better than anyone at GT since cpj arrived. And he did it without the physical tools of a Nesbitt, Lee or a Thomas. But I hope Thomas takes it to another level.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say the last drive against GSU was a lot of JT. It takes a team, but JT was moving down the field.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

The difference with TW is that he never did what JT did against GSU or JN did against Wake Forest, and that is put the team on his shoulders at crunch time and get it done! I love TW for what he did. He is an ambassador for GT in what he did and what he's doing. He tried really hard, right up to the end of several games, but he never pulled one out that I can remember.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow

Someone else pointed this out above: Tevin never came through in a clutch situation to win the game. I agree he always played hard but I would not call him clutch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The difference with TW is that he never did what JT did against GSU or JN did against Wake Forest, and that is put the team on his shoulders at crunch time and get it done! I love TW for what he did. He is an ambassador for GT in what he did and what he's doing. He tried really hard, right up to the end of several games, but he never pulled one out that I can remember.
TW did v VPI. His D let him down.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, it's okay to get excited. No one will taunt you at the end of the season for being wrong about JT.
Don't get me wrong. I think JT is going to be a special QB for Tech. He already shows flashes of having "it". But since we've only played the 3 worst teams on our schedule, I don't think we yet know how good he's going to be. And I'd be really surprised if he ends this next 5 game stretch and is still in the top 30 QB's in overall rating.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I agree in regulation. Unfortunately, as you said, his defense let him down and we went to overtime. We didn't get it done in OT.

But the defense wasn't "his"--I don't recall Tevin ever going out on the field to lead the 'D'. We had very productive years offensively with TW at the helm. You can't use our defensive shortfalls as an indictment of our QB's effectiveness.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong. I think JT is going to be a special QB for Tech. He already shows flashes of having "it". But since we've only played the 3 worst teams on our schedule, I don't think we yet know how good he's going to be. And I'd be really surprised if he ends this next 5 game stretch and is still in the top 30 QB's in overall rating.
That may well be the case. I won't argue your point. However, what I have seen is a young man who has the IT factor. He's shown he has the mettle to make us dangerous.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But the defense wasn't "his"--I don't recall Tevin ever going out on the field to lead the 'D'. We had very productive years offensively with TW at the helm. You can't use our defensive shortfalls as an indictment of our QB's effectiveness.
My point wasn't that TW was ineffective. I think he did a fantastic job, right up until he had to put the team on his shoulders and will a win. As AE87 pointed out, he did that against VPI on Labor Day two years ago in regulation, but then disappeared in the OT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@forensicbuzz I agree that JT gives reason for optimism. But I disagree with crediting him for performance v GSU and discounting TW v real D. Too selective, imo.