'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Due to some incoming transfers and really good recruiting class, Miami is expected to make further strides this year, but Davon Reed being out is a serious dent, given he's their best returning player that played for them last year. I'm sure we'll probably be his 1st game back, knowing our luck.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm stoked for this season.. Can't wait for the season opener to get here. Personally, I love that the first game means something us.

Really hoping that McCamish is packed with GT fans and that it is loud. Good idea to put it on the same weekend as Clemson football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I did not like his comment about Mitchell wanting to stay in the ACC. If there is even an inkling of that message in the NCAA information, he will sit for a year. I agree with him about the ACC being loaded this season. I think it will be a struggle for us to play at .500. That's why a big OCC record is vital.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Reading this thread, I've realized that I'm emotionally uninvested. I'm where I was with Chan in years four/five. Won't troll but can't get optimistic or excited. I don't see us doing any phase well enough to stir hope in me.
I feel the same.This team has some talent but it is thrown together seemingly.I hope I'm wrong but it could be the worse offensively in quite a while unless some things jell and quickly.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm going to keep posting this until someone stops me. Please see the tweet below the Vine, also posted in the Travis thread.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Solid mix of fantasy & talking out of both sides of dude's mouth, while not telling us anything we didn't know.

I could've answered the question in 3 sentences or less. BG has reassembled the team, with a mix of experience, youth, & talent, and he needs to show some level of progress to still be here in 2015-16. If he does, he's safe, if there's a total collapse, it'll be hard to not justify a change.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Solid mix of fantasy & talking out of both sides of dude's mouth, while not telling us anything we didn't know.

I could've answered the question in 3 sentences or less. BG has reassembled the team, with a mix of experience, youth, & talent, and he needs to show some level of progress to still be here in 2015-16. If he does, he's safe, if there's a total collapse, it'll be hard to not justify a change.

Really about as simple as it gets. Have a total bomb of a season, and it will be hard for anyone to be supportive of another year. However, come together as a team, exceed expectations (overall winning record), and I think that he will get all the support he needs. The good news is that we have an opportunity right out of the gates to get the season off on the right foot.

With all of the new pieces in place, I'm not sure how anyone can give a solid projection at the moment, but there are definitely some pieces in place. We have a nice mix of youth and experience, and with the addition of Cox and Mitchell, we also have some bangers inside. Call me crazy, but I think that people will like this team and get behind them.. It is going to be one that brings the lunch pale game in and game out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So now we know who is gonna be on the floor. Roster is set, waivers and transfers have arrived.

Who is your starting 5?

Start of season 5

PG-Heyward
SG-Tadric
SF-MGH
PF-Sampson
C-Mitchell

I expect Jorg. to take over for Heyward by the start of conference play. Im also in favor of playing MGH at the 2 and starting Q at the 3. I expect a surprising year from Quinton, I think he makes a leap offensively, his weight still scares me on D. Id like to see us play zone when he is on the floor.

I am interested to see if we see some 3 guard looks as well playing with Sampson and either Mitchell or Cox.
Has anyone heard if Gueye will redshirt since Mitchell rcvd his waiver? 4 capable big men and a tweener in Q on the roster makes it unlikely he will see a lot of floor time in the front court.

I am a bit more optimistic than I was a month ago, given the videos I have seen of Sampson and his game, we have the bangers, the rebounders, the length, and now a (hopefully) solid back court and what should be good defense on the perimeter. It just comes down to the the same things that have haunted this program for years.

Can we score?
Can we hit FTs?
With a young backcourt can we avoid silly turnovers?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't disagree with your starting five. It will be interesting to see how BG uses Bolden and Cox. I also have more reservations about Q than you seem to have.

Can we score is the big question for me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I tend to think (i.e. hope) Jorg starts from day 1 considering we start the year off vs. some strong competition.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I tend to think (i.e. hope) Jorg starts from day 1 considering we start the year off vs. some strong competition.
Travis looks really good in the videos of his workouts, and I like his work ethic a lot. I want to see how well that translates on the floor against competition.