'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm always poor-mouthing those places so I'll try to put together a response to your challenge @Peacone36 :D. I get all of what you're saying. I'm about as pessimistic as anyone on our own prospects as a basketball school right now so believe me I'm not coming from the perspective of a homer. I see where we are in the grand scheme of things in 2014.

However, the places I crap on, like UGA, SCar, SMU and the like, are historically awful places for basketball. Not just irrelevant, but awful. I see why a kid would fall for the "hey, come here and be the catalyst for getting it going" speech. I'm saying if you're a kid with comparable options you're doing yourself a disservice going to places like that.

As bad as we've been, I'd put our recent record (poor as it is) against anything UGA or SCar have done in the past 100 years (save 1 or 2 yrs wrt to UGA). I don't even think that's an overreaction.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
In the overall scheme of things I agree 100%. But in the last 10? Heck even last 5 years?. We have done some good things, renovations, coaching changes, casting huge nets in recruiting.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pea..It ain't that bad buddy.. Heck, 10 years ago we were in the national championship game. Yes, there have been some real stinkers since then, and FWIW, I tend to agree with you that GT doesn't have the sizzle that it used to, but we're in a much better position to turn that around than some of the others than you mentioned. In my mind, we only need a few things to fall our way in order for that happen.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pea..It ain't that bad buddy.. Heck, 10 years ago we were in the national championship game. Yes, there have been some real stinkers since then, and FWIW, I tend to agree with you that GT doesn't have the sizzle that it used to, but we're in a much better position to turn that around than some of the others than you mentioned. In my mind, we only need a few things to fall our way in order for that happen.
This optimism is admirable. I wish I could share it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This optimism is admirable. I wish I could share it.

I'm not as optimistic as c62, however, I agree with what he's said in this thread. We're never that far away from contending. Just need a few things (that are within our control) to break our way.

Being in the ACC still gives us a leg up on a lot of other places. Perception-wise it's kinda like how MissSt football gets a boost from being in the SEC whether or not they're actually any good (they aren't).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Solid recap of how the summer has been and begin to level set expectations heading in to full squad practices.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090314aab.html

• MGH expected to lead
  • Travis looks like he'll be ready to go when practice starts (less than 12 month recovery)
  • Tadric is getting the green light (I read it as he starts day 1)
  • Team is in good shape and has worked hard this summer
  • Keeping things simple with the frontcourt & expect blue collar effort

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Solid recap of how the summer has been and begin to level set expectations heading in to full squad practices.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090314aab.html

• MGH expected to lead
  • Travis looks like he'll be ready to go when practice starts (less than 12 month recovery)
  • Tadric is getting the green light (I read it as he starts day 1)
  • Team is in good shape and has worked hard this summer
  • Keeping things simple with the frontcourt & expect blue collar effort

Thanks for sharing. Nice, well-written article (as usual from Winkeljohn(sp?)). I'm really eager to see Jorg and Stephens.

Wow, Heyward was 230! Good to see MGH down to 212 and QS up to 190. Odd no mention of Bolden. Wasn't he oddly up to the 230's based on some summer report? Not a good thing if my faulty memory is correct.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bolden is at 223lbs, per the corrected roster. I know they were freaking out on the Scout board about his weight, which is pointless. If he's not doing what he's supposed to be doing in the offseason, then he's not going to get any run. I think he's going to find his niche this year as a spark shooter/scorer off the bench. Less pressure for him to perform on offense & defense, just come in & let it fly.

FWIW - he recently tweeted Nov. 14, a nod to the date of the opener vs. UGA.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/geot-m-baskbl-mtt.html

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bolden is at 223lbs, per the corrected roster. I know they were freaking out on the Scout board about his weight, which is pointless. If he's not doing what he's supposed to be doing in the offseason, then he's not going to get any run. I think he's going to find his niche this year as a spark shooter/scorer off the bench. Less pressure for him to perform on offense & defense, just come in & let it fly.

FWIW - he recently tweeted Nov. 14, a nod to the date of the opener vs. UGA.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/geot-m-baskbl-mtt.html

LOL, I've been freaking out over his weight for a year now. You can't talk me off that ledge. It all ties in with his lethargic play.

BBall season can't get here soon enough. Guess I'm an addict. :hurting:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Bolden's weight is an issue and affects his play, then he will be the fifth guard. But, he is an inch taller and 9 pounds heavier than Jackson. I am guessing he's at least two years older.

FWIW, the weight could be a result of time spent in the weight room this summer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If Bolden's weight is an issue and affects his play, then he will be the fifth guard. But, he is an inch taller and 9 pounds heavier than Jackson. I am guessing he's at least two years older.

FWIW, the weight could be a result of time spent in the weight room this summer.

Yeah, but after gaining the weight he went from an effective FR to an ineffective SO. Alls I'm saying is whatever he did was the wrong thing to do.

When you look at Bolden and envision what his game probably should be (Reggie Miller/Ray Allen-esque, just using names as reference not saying he should be as great as them), do you think he should weigh more than MGH who's a bruising-type SG/SF?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, but after gaining the weight he went from an effective FR to an ineffective SO. Alls I'm saying is whatever he did was the wrong thing to do.

When you look at Bolden and envision what his game probably should be (Reggie Miller/Ray Allen-esque, just using names as reference not saying he should be as great as them), do you think he should weigh more than MGH who's a bruising-type SG/SF?
Yeah, he should be constantly moving without the ball to try & get open, but I don't see that happening at this point. Doesn't mean he can't contribute in a meaningful way, just that what we'd probably like him to be is unlikely to occur. Not many teams ever land that type of player. Usually, it's dook when they exist.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You can come up with set plays a few times a game to get him going, a simple curl off of a screen on the elbow to get him a mid range jumper would suffice. He doesn't have to be Rip Hamilton to pull that off. But it would still make him effective.

The weight might not be a bad thing either if he is planning on going to the hole more (planned by the staff maybe?) instead of that floater that he went to in those situations last year. Going hard to the rim and getting to the line would help him a great deal.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can come up with set plays a few times a game to get him going, a simple curl off of a screen on the elbow to get him a mid range jumper would suffice. He doesn't have to be Rip Hamilton to pull that off. But it would still make him effective.

The weight might not be a bad thing either if he is planning on going to the hole more (planned by the staff maybe?) instead of that floater that he went to in those situations last year. Going hard to the rim and getting to the line would help him a great deal.

I'm with you on that floater.. Hopefully that thing gets tucked away never to be seen again. During his freshman year, he flashed the pull-up, mid-range J (lost art btw) that was a thing of beauty. I love the fact that he isn't scared to get into the lane, but bring back that pull-up J from 15-18ft or either take it the rack strong.. No more floaters!!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Reading this thread, I've realized that I'm emotionally uninvested. I'm where I was with Chan in years four/five. Won't troll but can't get optimistic or excited. I don't see us doing any phase well enough to stir hope in me.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reading this thread, I've realized that I'm emotionally uninvested. I'm where I was with Chan in years four/five. Won't troll but can't get optimistic or excited. I don't see us doing any phase well enough to stir hope in me.

Fair statement to make. I can understand a fan's POV that they want the team & staff to prove themselves by putting up W's. I also appreciate the fact that you won't be one of the fans talking out of both sides of their mouth, claiming a lack of interest before the season, but bashing once the season starts and we take a few L's.