'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Welcome!
I wonder, are you from his high school? The reason I ask is their was a guy that posted on another GT board that quit posting there because of people riding him.

Anyway, welcome to the board. These guys are great here.
Was curious about that too. I PM'd him after that asking him to come back and to not give the knuckleheads the time of day. Heard nothing after.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
I am impressed with the tapes above. With all the PT, exercises, and attention that go into strengthening Jorgenson's knee I would not be surprised that it is stronger than before the injury.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I am impressed with the tapes above. With all the PT, exercises, and attention that go into strengthening Jorgenson's knee I would not be surprised that it is stronger than before the injury.

I agree. Let's hope and see

Like having Tommy John surgery, you come back even better or you don't. I know that's different but you know what I'm getting at :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I like the kid as well. Good length, nice jumper, potential to be great help side defender.

He needs to either gain weight so he can effectively defend on the block or gain footspeed to defend the perimeter.
He is a kid that by the time he is a senior could have a ceiling like a "poor mans" Preston Shumpert. I don't think he will put up 21 a game as a senior but I could see 13-17 given his ability to stroke it.
Wow, a Preston Shumpert reference. I did not expect to see that.

I might be the only person here who remembers who he is. What's your background and any connection to Syracuse?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Just love me some college basketball man :)

You and others here make it that much better. Thanks Guys!!
giphy.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I guess we can file this under interesting, pseudo-related tidbits. Dawgs didn't get picked to be in the SEC/Big12 Challenge this year. Not sure what the criteria is for making it but it doesn't appear to be based on record. Just in case any recruits had any delusions that they were a big time team or anything. Ok, ok, I sound a little petty but .... THWG.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=209491336

2014 SEC / BIG 12 CHALLENGE
Wednesday, December 3
Auburn at Texas Tech

Thursday, December 4
Arkansas at Iowa State
Baylor at Vanderbilt
LSU at West Virginia
TCU at Mississippi

Friday, December 5
Florida at Kansas
Missouri at Oklahoma
Texas at Kentucky

Saturday, December 6
Kansas State at Tennessee
Oklahoma State at South Carolina

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good point.. that cannot good for UGA on the recruiting trail, but they played in a nice Christmas tourney last year.

Burnett

Georgia Tech Fan
I've seen a lot of discussion about Sampson being in the mix at power forward this year. I seem to remember that he wants to play at next level and realizes he doesn't have an NBA body for PF. One of the reasons he transferred to Tech was because BG promised him a shot at small forward. I think that's where he is most likely to play, especially since Cox, Gueye, and Mitchell signed on.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've seen a lot of discussion about Sampson being in the mix at power forward this year. I seem to remember that he wants to play at next level and realizes he doesn't have an NBA body for PF. One of the reasons he transferred to Tech was because BG promised him a shot at small forward. I think that's where he is most likely to play, especially since Cox, Gueye, and Mitchell signed on.

You will see him all over the court.. Similiar to the role that Carter played.

He won't see a lot of minutes at the 3 though as MGH will eat those. He'll play 35 MPG.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree with @connell62 on the Sampson's role, although not sure I think he play those kinds of minutes. I'm not sure anybody on our team plays those kinds of minutes, with the possible exception of MGH.

@Peacone36 I personally think Gueye is the optimal redshirt candidate, but I think it will depend on how he looks in practice, how Lammers' recovery has gone, and if Mitchell gets his waiver. I need to dig up some video on him, but I wonder if there are questions (not in a bad way) long-term about him being a post player or some sort of hybrid forward.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with @@connell62 on the Sampson's role, although not sure I think he play those kinds of minutes. I'm not sure anybody on our team plays those kinds of minutes, with the possible exception of MGH.

@Peacone36 I personally think Gueye is the optimal redshirt candidate, but I think it will depend on how he looks in practice, how Lammers' recovery has gone, and if Mitchell gets his waiver. I need to dig up some video on him, but I wonder if there are questions (not in a bad way) long-term about him being a post player or some sort of hybrid forward.

Not sure where it is now, but I saw the entire championship game (video) Gueye's team played. He played a lot of post, but did move outside some and shot some 3-pters. But he is the best candidate for R-shirt. I would think Sampson, as was said, will play more of the BBCjr role. G-Hunt and Stephens will be eating up the SF minutes. He would probably play about 25-30 mpg. Hope he has a very successful season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know why, but I'm pretty excited about Sampson stepping in and getting his chance to shine. It's probably because his father told him to step up the effort while redshirting and he responded well to it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I was referring to MGH..It wasn't very clear. Def. agree that he will lead the way in terms of minutes for sure. I also that Sampson will be leaned upon heavily. Best guess, I would also say 25-30 mpg if he can stay out of foul trouble.

The frontcourt rotation will be something to keep an eye on. Sampson, Mitchell, and Cox will take a lot of the minutes, but Lammers will fit in there somewhere.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im finding it somewhat amusing that people hack on UGA and other schools (South Carolina most recently) as if we are superior to them in athletics, basketball specifically.

We are all fans of GT basketball and usually see a lot of the good and only some of the bad. You really have to try and see it from the kids view. UGA is a huge football school, on national television every weekend, sure GT alums hate them but there is a certain glam to going there. South Carolina is on our level basketball wise, like it or not. Its not that they are overly appealing its become quite obvious in recent years, that GT is not as appealing as we all believe it should be. Frank Martin is a heck of a coach. He may be an @$$ but he won 21 games or more 5 seasons in a row at K-State, not the easiest thing to do.