114 Years of GT Football – How will history repeat?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here's the same data (I think) done chronologically ... which indicates, we're not doing too bad historically, just not as good as the Dodd years. Well done collecting the data guys ...

upload_2018-11-8_14-0-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-8_13-59-56.png
    upload_2018-11-8_13-59-56.png
    17 KB · Views: 7

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is a look that is interesting, because it takes into account the shifting number of teams playing. So, to be a Top Quartile team depends on whether there is 107 teams playing, or in some cases, 131. Here's the Power Ranking and Percentile rankings since 1985:

upload_2018-11-8_15-50-3.png

Deleted member 2897

I’ve done posts the last four years about the history of GT football. Last year’s was at
https://gtswarm.com/threads/113-years-of-gt-football-%E2%80%93-2015-9-losses-to-2016-9-wins-to-2017.12624/

Here’s a graph that shows three things. First in red line, the average JHowell Power Ranking for that coach*. Next in green line the average winning % for that coach. And finally, in the blue bar, the average yearly JHowell ranking finish for that coach. (More on JHowell at http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cfindex.htm ) Guess what, Bobby Dodd was far and away the best and Bill Lewis the worst. Heisman came in a “respectable” second.

733x9537gxdlz6q6g.jpg

CPJ performance is right there with Gailey and has slipped below O’Leary. CPJ and Gailey have the same average Power Ranking but Gailey was slightly better in average in team ranking at the end of the year and in Average Winning %. A few years ago, I thought CPJ might overtake Alexander but not now.

Note I said performance when comparing coaches and not whether one coach would be better than another in today’s environment. All of these rankings are based on their peers at the time. I know the many reasons given why GT can’t compete like we used to. Regardless, these are the facts from an unbiased source (not alternative facts).

*I like the Power Ranking metric the best – they reflect Strength of Schedule. This has the discussion why https://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-strength-of-schedule.2489/

Mods, please issue a formal warning to GTNavyNuke for violating Rule 14 of GT Swarm, Section III, Paragraph 1, Sentence 3: Thou shalt never say or spell the name B*** L**** out loud. Thanks!

Deleted member 2897

Also, I'd like to point out how consistently over the last 11 years under CPJ, our ACC opponents have gotten 2x the number of Bye Weeks that we have. As some of you will remember, our ACC win percentage under CPJ is just under 60%, but against those Bye Week teams who got the week off before us, we're 4-9. Meaning every other year essentially, that scheduling BS costs us 1 win and gives us 1 loss. In a perfect world, I'd add 5 total wins and subtract 5 total losses from CPJs total...but I recognize I would get fried from the board for doing so.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mods, please issue a formal warning to GTNavyNuke for violating Rule 14 of GT Swarm, Section III, Paragraph 1, Sentence 3: Thou shalt never say or spell the name B*** L**** out loud. Thanks!

In my garage I have a framed signed print by B*** L***** "A Journey of Excellence". Got it really cheap on E-Bay a few years ago when I was collecting memorabilia of past GT coaches. It could be yours at a great price ........

Deleted member 2897

In my garage I have a framed signed print by B*** L***** "A Journey of Excellence". Got it really cheap on E-Bay a few years ago when I was collecting memorabilia of past GT coaches. It could be yours at a great price ........

I'll take it for $20.