09 Championship Game Replay

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
That was the last time Clemson didn't have a lethal quarterback. What a difference.

Baby-Dabo = baby Yoda? He's progressed a bit.

That game was CPJ at his absolute best.

Ridiculous that they skipped the game winning drive "for time purposes" then showed a replay delay for 5 minutes. LOL.

Game ends on defense which isn't something that happened very much in the next 10 years of GT football...

I was there in person, and what I remember the most is how cordial the Clemson fans were (and mostly still are).

/

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoa.

More talent than the team in early 50's that had 6 A-A in one year?

More than the Heisman team that won N.C.?

More than 62 team ( that beat #1 bama) and had, I believe 7 guys go to NFL?
Well I was born in the 21st century so I can't speak much on those teams, and that's why in the original post I said "maybe". But it is certainly in the conversation with the other great teams.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. The 09 team would beat each one of those squads by 30+. #hotTakes
That is a very hot take. Maybe just because the quality of the athlete has come such a long way, I might agree, but I think those squads could score enough points on the 09 D to stay within 20 of them.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That was the last time Clemson didn't have a lethal quarterback. What a difference.

Ridiculous that they skipped the game winning drive "for time purposes" then showed a replay delay for 5 minutes. LOL.

Game ends on defense which isn't something that happened very much in the next 10 years of GT football...

I was there in person, and what I remember the most is how cordial the Clemson fans were (and mostly still are).

/

Besides what you mentioned - the damn Cold!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

/

bored at home and went through my iCloud.
found the photos I took on my iPhone at that game. shared them with my buddy.
Anybody else decide not to wait for a cab and hoof it back to the hotel like we did that night?

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
With the transfers, 2020 will be our most talented roster since 2009.

Pretty much all of Clemson’s 09 front 7 played in the league. It tells you that you only needed a handful of difference makers in the TO to compete. A QB, power forward WR, B-back, and Right Guard is all it took.

That’s all we had and all we needed for those good seasons - 08, 09, 14, 16. In 08, we started Lucas Cox at A back - that tells you that having good players at certain spots is more important than others.

But in the last few years of PJ, our recruiting fell behind relative to competitors. We weren’t acquiring / developing those 4 key pieces that make the difference

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Shows you how important the QB position. As previously mentioned that was the last Clemson team without a play maker at QB. And we had a QB that our team would follow into a burning building. Outside of games against the powerhouses, most college games come down to turnovers and a handful of plays with playmakers making special plays. That’s why I’m so optimistic about our future. Even if we don’t crack the rare air of top 15 recruiting classes we’ll get enough big bodied types for the trenches to hold our own and enough playmakers to compete week in and week out like we did in 2014. That’s how you get solid seasons with a few special ones every few years.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
With the transfers, 2020 will be our most talented roster since 2009.

Pretty much all of Clemson’s 09 front 7 played in the league. It tells you that you only needed a handful of difference makers in the TO to compete. A QB, power forward WR, B-back, and Right Guard is all it took.

That’s all we had and all we needed for those good seasons - 08, 09, 14, 16. In 08, we started Lucas Cox at A back - that tells you that having good players at certain spots is more important than others.

But in the last few years of PJ, our recruiting fell behind relative to competitors. We weren’t acquiring / developing those 4 key pieces that make the difference
Very good summary. I wish Collins would bring back the 3o and combine that with his defense and recruiting prowess.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Shows you how important the QB position. As previously mentioned that was the last Clemson team without a play maker at QB. And we had a QB that our team would follow into a burning building. Outside of games against the powerhouses, most college games come down to turnovers and a handful of plays with playmakers making special plays. That’s why I’m so optimistic about our future. Even if we don’t crack the rare air of top 15 recruiting classes we’ll get enough big bodied types for the trenches to hold our own and enough playmakers to compete week in and week out like we did in 2014. That’s how you get solid seasons with a few special ones every few years.
James Graham / Jeff Simms, Mason, Griffin, and Gibbs would’ve been our most talented backfield with CPJ. But I highly doubt we would’ve been able to sign Simms, Griffin, or Gibbs if we were still with the TO. I like the TO and CPJ. But, Our success hinged on finding a couple of guys who would pick us over a factory and pray they didn’t get hurt and stayed eligible. That just doesn’t feel like a sustainable roster-building strategy.

Scubapro

Banned
I can understand the Thomas angle. But for my money Nesbit was the best qb to play for Johnson.
Yeah...its a tough comparison IMO. Nesbitt was tough as nails and when you needed three - four tough yards he was money.
OTOH
JET was better at passing and had great speed once he hit the edge.

Scubapro

Banned
James Graham / Jeff Simms, Mason, Griffin, and Gibbs would’ve been our most talented backfield with CPJ. But I highly doubt we would’ve been able to sign Simms, Griffin, or Gibbs if we were still with the TO. I like the TO and CPJ. But, Our success hinged on finding a couple of guys who would pick us over a factory and pray they didn’t get hurt and stayed eligible. That just doesn’t feel like a sustainable roster-building strategy.
Yeah...I don't think we would have gotten Simms or Gibbs if PJ was still here. Like you I liked the TO. Serviceable running backs are fairly plentiful in Georgia. Getting the game breakers when they will split carries with up to five other guys can be a tough sell.
IMO PJ over estimated his ability to recruit the state of Georgia from his experience at Southern. High school coaches were happy to turn him onto players when he wasn't competing with da-mutts for recruits. Completely different story when half the coaches are mutt fans.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...I don't think we would have gotten Simms or Gibbs if PJ was still here. Like you I liked the TO. Serviceable running backs are fairly plentiful in Georgia. Getting the game breakers when they will split carries with up to five other guys can be a tough sell.
IMO PJ over estimated his ability to recruit the state of Georgia from his experience at Southern. High school coaches were happy to turn him onto players when he wasn't competing with da-mutts for recruits. Completely different story when half the coaches are mutt fans.

But a lot of coaches in the state played at Southern, either for PJ, Erk or Tim Stowers. Southern churns out a ton of guys who wind up being HS coaches. Which isn't a bad thing.
And the HS coaches I knew who played for PJ at Southern were fiercely loyal to him.

GTFLETCH

Banned
James Graham would not have beaten Tobais Oliver out for QB if CPJ was still here. Not sure Griffin would have choosen Tech over NC State had the CPJ still been here. While I do think CPJ would have one more games last year than what we actually did. It is clear that CGC is building something special. With all of the transfers, all of the recruits it is clear that CGC is a great Coach. It is clear our Defense coaching is better. Anyone not excited is foolish. The biggest question is will CGC and CDP grow into P-5 Gameday coaches? Only time will tell.