🔥🔥🔥 Good Take on our Current Challenges

MidtownJacket

Staff member

The PR Blunders of the AA seem to me to be a large issue for us. We can (and certainly many of us have) laid plenty of blame on the coaches, but the messaging around the program from ADTS down to kids tweeting out gifs feels so off base. Like High Sizzle imagery but Tone-deaf.

Am curious if anyone knows how or what J1S or Legends involvement has on the messaging piece for the program?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In general and in an ideal situation, it’s better to under promise and over deliver. The problem is when the one evaluating the promises can’t tell when the over promising is BS. Sometimes there’s an attitude of “This other person promised me more than you, so if you don’t promise me more, you’re out.” I know that it definitely didn’t come off well the way PR was handled in this case, but I wonder if the coaches felt pressured to paint a rosier picture than the reality. Let’s think about the state of the program at that point. We had one season of more than 6 wins in the previous 4. Recruiting seemed to be going downhill. We were no longer playing competitively with the top teams on the schedule. We were starting to lose to dook more often than not. Our head coach had just resigned, and we had decided to hire a new one who doesn’t use the same scheme or personnel offensively. There was a lot of reason for pessimism, and perhaps they felt the need to try to sell an overly optimistic vision in order to turn around the direction of the program. And I would imagine that these past 3 seasons have not gone the way Collins expected them to go. He probably stepped in thinking “Football is football. Players are players. How different could it be?” And then we struggled way more than expected. I don’t know where I was going with this, but I think we’re all getting really tired of losing, and Collins is going to need to put up better results to keep his job past next season.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In general and in an ideal situation, it’s better to under promise and over deliver. The problem is when the one evaluating the promises can’t tell when the over promising is BS. Sometimes there’s an attitude of “This other person promised me more than you, so if you don’t promise me more, you’re out.” I know that it definitely didn’t come off well the way PR was handled in this case, but I wonder if the coaches felt pressured to paint a rosier picture than the reality. Let’s think about the state of the program at that point. We had one season of more than 6 wins in the previous 4. Recruiting seemed to be going downhill. We were no longer playing competitively with the top teams on the schedule. We were starting to lose to dook more often than not. Our head coach had just resigned, and we had decided to hire a new one who doesn’t use the same scheme or personnel offensively. There was a lot of reason for pessimism, and perhaps they felt the need to try to sell an overly optimistic vision in order to turn around the direction of the program. And I would imagine that these past 3 seasons have not gone the way Collins expected them to go. He probably stepped in thinking “Football is football. Players are players. How different could it be?” And then we struggled way more than expected. I don’t know where I was going with this, but I think we’re all getting really tired of losing, and Collins is going to need to put up better results to keep his job past next season.
Agreed - I think it's likely the program was trying to speak success into existence and also agree we need real results soon. Messaging won't matter if we suffer through another 3 or 4 win season.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

The PR Blunders of the AA seem to me to be a large issue for us. We can (and certainly many of us have) laid plenty of blame on the coaches, but the messaging around the program from ADTS down to kids tweeting out gifs feels so off base. Like High Sizzle imagery but Tone-deaf.

Am curious if anyone knows how or what J1S or Legends involvement has on the messaging piece for the program?
Dang it, I shouldn't have read that. I've been avoiding the "Fire Collins" thread for a reason.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Dang it, I shouldn't have read that. I've been avoiding the "Fire Collins" thread for a reason.
Haha oh no, yeah I was trying to avoid that angle, we have had plenty of discussion on his issues. More trying to start a focused conversation about the support around the program.

I genuinely don't understand how we keep making the missteps we have.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The ol coach on son freshman team called them all together after the first game. He said. FIRST one of your parents, probably your mother, is going to tell youchad a good game. SECOND No you didnt. You played like xxxx yyyy !
When your parents tell you 1 , tell them coach sId you would say that.
My wife did.
Son did.
Now he is a coach and makes a point tp doe this for the freshmen every year
Then he adds its all about how fast you get better as a team.

Colli s is irritating to us .
So as bad as it was this year, some how he has a small but very highly rated recruiting class with 12+ more spots to offer or transfer in. Firstx4 star qb, first time gt got 2 4 star dt
The 6-4" transfer TE ran a 4.5 in hs.

Pray for quality ol transfers. The 2 year old recruits are not ready

jacket38

Jolly Good Fellow
The ol coach on son freshman team called them all together after the first game. He said. FIRST one of your parents, probably your mother, is going to tell youchad a good game. SECOND No you didnt. You played like xxxx yyyy !
My wife did.
Son did.

So as bad as it was this year, some how he has a small but very highly rated recruiting class with 12+ more spots to offer or transfer in. Firstx4 star qb, first time gt got 2 4 star dt

Lost a couple brain cells trying to read this…

alagold

Helluva Engineer
My wife did.
Son did.

Ice,
On the DTs ,we not be as well off as some think-Myles I hear was injured and didn't play his Sr season.Recovered? If Lockett is #2 guy ,actually he was moved to OL his sr. yr.Will he get his weight down to get back to DEF? So it may remain to be seen if we have hit the jackpot at DT for now.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

An interesting take Midtown. Down near the bottom of the comments, was one that I thought was spot on. Paraphrasing here but the poster basically said that during the press conference for Signing Day, Geoff kept his head down as though he was "beaten down". The poster followed that up by observing that the Atlanta media has been merciless. Further, he observed that as fans little more can be accomplished by continually denigrating the man, though God knows, he bought a lot of this on himself. That said, I agree that there is little point (I am including myself here) in continually belittling him for a number of reasons: for one, redemption is a story as old as athletics, he just might have a new chapter to add. Secondly, these things can turn around on a dime, not saying it will, saying it might. Third, how many of us brought into the hype and hoopla? I know I did. Let's see how next year plays out. We may be in for a pleasant surprise...or more of the same in which case the problem of what to do about Geoff will take its natural course.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what kind of spin was put on it. Three successive season with 3 wins would still have ended with the same discontent we find today.

It isn't of raising expectations; Collins said from the first that it would be a long haul. The problem is that the results have been so mediocre. That would be enough in any circumstances.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let me preface what I am about to say by saying I am just as happy with 3 win seasons as everyone else here is. With that out of the way I am strangely fascinated by this guy and what he says.Most guys in his position know how to do the "coach speak", play it down the middle type of corporate jargon that many of us have heard in our everyday work lives. But Collins refuses to or is incapable of doing that and is, instead, doing things his own way (like Sinatra). Whether he sinks or swims, and we all know what the most likely outcome for him is at this point, I give him credit for going against the grain and sticking to his guns if nothing else. After he is done, we will demand and revert back to the norm for what we expect coaches to sound and look like and we will be comfortable there.